Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2016, 04:50 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Even with the oil light, you can go further before you actually change it, especially if you use good oil, as my husband told my kid recently. She got freak out when she saw the oil light.
Depends on what you mean by "oil light" All cars have a low pressure light as Aja mentioned. She was right to freak out if the oil <pressure> light came on. Many newer cars also have oil life monitor systems that estimate when the oil is worn out based on mileage and/or driving conditions. On our cars, I think we get a warning like "change oil soon" when it gets to around 5%, but we almost always change it when it gets around 15%. One of our cars also has a low oil level light that will come on if the level gets low which did happen twice.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 12:08 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Including muffler bearing rotations?

-ERD50
Twice a year!
Hermit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:43 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The "oil light" has nothing to do with quantity of oil in the crankcase. It means you have no oil pressure. No oil pressure is a death sentence for engines as the bearings will wear out in a matter of minutes (seconds in some cases). If you are lucky, the engine won't seize up (aka "freeze").

No oil pressure and prolonged (very short) driving means an engine rebuild costing thousands.
I asked him again. It's oil life indicator not oil light. It sounded the same to me. I don't know if we have oil light indicator. At least I never saw one.
I learned something new today.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:17 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Including muffler bearing rotations?

-ERD50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Twice a year!

Do you also check your blinker fluid levels at the same time?

There are several utube videos to show you how to do both.... Some are pretty funny to watch.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:18 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Please don't forget to top off your 710 fluid...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 710.jpg (72.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-30-2016, 09:09 AM   #86

Quote:
The "oil light" has nothing to do with quantity of oil in the crankcase. It means you have no oil pressure. No oil pressure is a death sentence for engines as the bearings will wear out in a matter of minutes (seconds in some cases). If you are lucky, the engine won't seize up (aka "freeze").

No oil pressure and prolonged (very short) driving means an engine rebuild costing thousands.
x2, but even if the engine does not lock up, your bearings will be wasted and engine rebuild is still required. The extent of damage is dependent on the time and engine design. Either way, rebuilding an engine gets expensive quickly, higher if more parts are damaged.

Those oil life monitors are good for the clueless, it reminds them to change the oil. Same with the tire pressure monitors, let's them know the tires actually need air pressure to work properly. The mfrs try to make things as idiot-proof as they can.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:27 AM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
x2, but even if the engine does not lock up, your bearings will be wasted and engine rebuild is still required. The extent of damage is dependent on the time and engine design. Either way, rebuilding an engine gets expensive quickly, higher if more parts are damaged.

Those oil life monitors are good for the clueless, it reminds them to change the oil. Same with the tire pressure monitors, let's them know the tires actually need air pressure to work properly. The mfrs try to make things as idiot-proof as they can.
My highlight above and there are many folks that pay absolutely no attention to the warning monitors (family members included). People don't realize what a rebuilt or crate engine costs these days ($$$ Thousands $$$).
Old 05-30-2016, 10:31 AM   #88
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post

Unfortunately, God keeps on building better idiots. :-D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
ScottS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
Unfortunately, God keeps on building better idiots. :-D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
+1
Old 05-31-2016, 10:05 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

I had this happen to me, I turned the corner and the oil light came on, I pulled the car over right away, and turned it off.
I checked the oil and it was LOW, as in lower than the low mark.
I always carry a spare quart in the trunk and I poured the entire thing in as it needed a quart at least.
Fortunately the stick then read just needing about 1/2 a quart.
So I started up the car, ready to turn it off if the light stayed on, but it went off and all was good after that.

Yes I checked and found the oil plug was dripping oil very slowly, and needed a little tighten.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:11 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Not according to the attachment you included. Only a single case was discussed and that one was blamed on the owner going far beyond the normal oil change interval and the engine running low on oil.

The poster wanted to know why the "oil level light" did not warn him. Respondents explained that it's a "oil pressure light," not an "oil level light."
Old 06-01-2016, 12:24 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think I've forgotten to ask if my shop does a brake fluid flush as part of a brake pad/rotor change. I hope so.
AFAIK, you do not get a brake fluid flush along with new pads and/or rotors.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:50 AM   #93

I use full synthetic oil and change every 5,000 miles but then I also drive on a lot of gravel roads with a lot of dust getting stirred up and sucked into the air cleaner.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #94
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ive always changed my oil between 5,000 and 6,000 miles. Changing oil yourself isnt expensive...around $20 unless you can find rebates on oil...then you stock up.

All of my vehicles have gone well past 200k miles. Ill continue to change every 5k to 6k.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote