Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-24-2016, 02:05 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

also, look up "mobil 1 Subaru spun rod bearing"

mobil 1 has also killed a lot of turbo scoobs
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I change synthetic oil every 10K miles, conventional oil every 5K miles. I've never changed oil at 3K miles.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:36 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Synthetic. Every 12,000 miles (which is what my Fit's monitor indicates m/l)

We had a 1992 Toyota van that we ran for 360,000 miles after purchasing new. Recollection is that we changed conventional oil every 7500 or so on that one, per the manual. (of course, in the last years, we were topping it off too)
Old 05-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
It should not be controversial - just follow the manual for your car. I don't know about mixing synthetic oil, does the manual address that?

-ERD50
My '96 SLS manual doesn't address synthetic oil. Up until that time, Synthetics were used mostly in race cars, BMW's, Porche's and like that. I don't think it became common for US passenger cars until a little later, but maybe I'm wrong...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #25

My 2006 car I changed at 5000 miles with conventional, and my 2015 car I do 7500.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:53 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
also, look up "mobil 1 Subaru spun rod bearing"

mobil 1 has also killed a lot of turbo scoobs
Reading through some search results (with and without Mobil 1 in the terms), it doesn't appear as though OIL it the reason for these failures. Several folks have complained about it when they used Amsoil (arguably one of the top oil manufacturers) and some are with some VERY low mileage cars.

And overwhelmingly, I see a trend with these cars..."It just happens on modified, beaten on, and abused cars". Well, duh.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:01 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I am a little curious now. When I had my plane, I sent oil off fairly often to be analyzed. Looking at "Bob the Oil Guy" website, there is a kit available for cars as well. The analysis is $28, so I think when I get my oil changed in my 90K mile Infiniti (it will have about 94K miles on it then) I am going to send in a sample. I am curious to see what it shows...I tend to think it will show not very much wear.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:18 PM   #28

Quote:
I think a statement like that needs some back up! Is there data to say that exceeding the manufacturer's schedule will actually reduce wear?
If oil breakdown or contaminants lubricated at least as well as fresh oil, the oil would not need regular changing. Since that is not the case, old/used oil causes more engine wear than clean oil. How soon (how many miles or hours of operation) the difference in engine operation due to such wear becomes measureable is a valid question though.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:45 PM   #29

I just do every 5K because it is easy to remember in my daily driver type cars. I tend to use synthetic blend or full synthetic if I find a deal. Always change my own oil and filter, gives me a good chance to look things over. Yes the 5K might be slight overkill, but oil is cheap.

Imoldernu, you can mix synthetic with dino without any problems. In fact most "synthetic" oil sold is actually dino based. It is just more refined and maybe slight changes to the additive package. Real lab-based synthetic oils are much higher cost. Some engines (some Toyota and Dodge as examples) do have sludging problems and synthetic oil will minimize this.

Now, how many of you ever think or actually do change your auto trans fluid? I do, every 30K I do a drain and refill. No filter change, the auto trans filter is not always accessible on some vehicles. There is no such thing as lifetime trans fluid fill, in spite of what mfrs may claim. By doing the drain and refill, I change out maybe 30-50% of the old fluid and my trans fluid is always nice and clean red color without burnt smell.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:50 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I am a little curious now. When I had my plane, I sent oil off fairly often to be analyzed. Looking at "Bob the Oil Guy" website, there is a kit available for cars as well. The analysis is $28, so I think when I get my oil changed in my 90K mile Infiniti (it will have about 94K miles on it then) I am going to send in a sample. I am curious to see what it shows...I tend to think it will show not very much wear.
I use Blackstone Labs in Indiana. They will send you a kit.

Blackstone Labs
Old 05-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
My '96 SLS manual doesn't address synthetic oil. Up until that time, Synthetics were used mostly in race cars, BMW's, Porche's and like that. I don't think it became common for US passenger cars until a little later, but maybe I'm wrong...
But what does the manual say regarding regular oil changes? From there, you could get opinions (or ask the mfg, who may or may not advise past the manual), on if it makes sense to stretch that with synthetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
If oil breakdown or contaminants lubricated at least as well as fresh oil, the oil would not need regular changing. Since that is not the case, old/used oil causes more engine wear than clean oil. How soon (how many miles or hours of operation) the difference in engine operation due to such wear becomes measureable is a valid question though.
That's my point. Is there a meaningful difference in engine life with more frequent than recommended oil changes? If the mfg says change at 6,000 miles, I doubt changing at 3,000 doubles engine life, or changing at 600 miles makes it last 10x longer, for example. It's clearly not linear, so where is the 'knee'? Maybe 6,000 is before the knee, and changing at 5,000 is really a very tiny difference?

If I were planning to keep a car for 120,000 miles or more (I keep my cars a long time, but they are still pretty low miles), I might get in the habit of going just a little early, just to provide a buffer if it was inconvenient, or to get in the habit of not going past the recommended mile mark. It just seems very few cars actually suffer from engine wear out problems that could be attributed to lubrication these days, rather than eventual break-downs, and non-engine problems. But no, I don't have data, just my observation - but it would be interesting if any is out there.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I use Blackstone Labs in Indiana. They will send you a kit.

Blackstone Labs
I know someone with a small fleet of diesel trucks and the oil capacity is something huge, many gallons, so an oil change is big $$$. He uses a lab to help determine when to change, and he says it's always good even after the recommended interval, but I don't think he pushes it too far out. He tests more to make sure nothing is going wrong at that point (I think it will detect metal from a bearing, or maybe dilution from rings/valves going bad?). These trucks have a lot of stop/go, long idle times too.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:06 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I know someone with a small fleet of diesel trucks and the oil capacity is something huge, many gallons, so an oil change is big $$$. He uses a lab to help determine when to change, and he says it's always good even after the recommended interval, but I don't think he pushes it too far out. He tests more to make sure nothing is going wrong at that point (I think it will detect metal from a bearing, or maybe dilution from rings/valves going bad?). These trucks have a lot of stop/go, long idle times too.

-ERD50
The analysis looks at all the engine metals (aluminum, iron, zinc, magnesium, etc) to see if the oil is picking up high concentrations or reducing the additive metals in the oil, like zinc. Other parameters are measured including certain chemical properties, pH, viscosity, etc. The biggie is TBN which is the "additive package" in the oil. Once that's depleted, the oil doesn't work very well anymore.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:14 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

anyone else running a magnetic drain plug?
Old 05-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Blackstone labs

For those interested, here's an old analysis I did on a diesel Passat 7 years ago. I was interested in metals rates of decline after I did some major engine work (click on the attachment to make it bigger):

Blackstone Analysis.jpg
Old 05-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I only use Mobil 1 on my truck. That oil is bad for turbo scoobs.
I'm a follower of the #1 place online to talk about motor oils and lubrication: BobIsTheOilGuy.com. I can read for hours on there.

Note that there are two Mobil 1's--Regular Mobile 1 and Mobil 1 EP which is a far superior product.

Although Mobil 1 EP is not rated for marine use, it's a far superior lubrication to anything Mercury or Yamaha sells for their engines. And I run it in my boats.

I was at a big national auto parts store last night buying oil for one vehicle, and they're really, really expensive on oils and especially oil filters. I'll be going to Walmart tonight to get oil for the boat as they're much more reasonable in price and carry great brands.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #37
Administrator

My daily driver is a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid. I change the oil whenever the monitor says it is time, which is about 9000 miles. I do it myself and always use Mobil 1 0W-20 full synthetic. Since it has 221,600 miles on it now, that means I've changed the oil 24 times so far. Got another one due in about 3 weeks.

I also have a magnetic drain plug.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:25 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.. It just seems very few cars actually suffer from engine wear out problems that could be attributed to lubrication these days, rather than eventual break-downs, and non-engine problems. But no, I don't have data, just my observation - but it would be interesting if any is out there.
That is my observation as well. Unless one abuses his car, most modern cars can get to 150K-200K miles without major engine problems.

Usually, people sell their cars when they do not want to spend money to fix a myriad of things that start to wear out, but not having anything to do with the engine. And also, the paint is fading, the leather seats are cracked, the doors rattle, etc...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
anyone else running a magnetic drain plug?
yes
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I just do every 5K because it is easy to remember in my daily driver type cars. I tend to use synthetic blend or full synthetic if I find a deal. Always change my own oil and filter, gives me a good chance to look things over. Yes the 5K might be slight overkill, but oil is cheap.
Sounds familiar. Must be a thing with car guys.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote