Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Oil / Gas price. Supply and demand.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:47 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
What is with the Philippines? Would someone who is familiar with life over there comment on the very high energy efficiency?
It looks like RP finally arrived and has provided us with an answer from the P.I. viewpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP
A great deal of work is done manually because of low availability of capital to buy machines and use more BTU's...Also, our electricity here is second only to Japan for the highest cost in the world, so the average American would have a real problem getting used to moving from the cheapest to the most expensive.
So Nords was on the money - the guy supplying the power is charging high prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP
IMO the US's biggest problem is the government's insistence on oil as virtually the only energy solution. The average alternative energy article in the news media parrots facts from 20 or 30 years ago ... solar is not cost-effective, wind isn't efficient enough ... geothermal is too hard to harness, etc., etc. great strides have been made in alternative technologies but the oil companies still by massive amounts of TV time to brag about how they are searching for new places to drill ... and the past few administrations (both parties folks, I'm nor bashing Red or Blue) have effectively done nothing to promote anything except oil, oil and more oil.
Things are changing here and there. I travel several hundred miles down Interstate 10 in Texas on a regular basis, and starting several years ago I noticed trucks hauling giant windmill blades toward the West. I eventually got curious enough to find out what was going on and learned that Texas has mandated that 5% of all electricity used in the state come from wind power (with proposals to increase it to as much as 20%).

Reliance of petroleum as a primary energy source is not going to end anytime soon. The worldwide demand for energy is increasing.

When I look at the chart I posted back in September, I see a lot of countries that very productive and are also major importers of petroleum. Some more efficient than others in how they use it, but the major developed countries are all pretty close to each other. Then there are all the unproductive countries, some who are oil exporters (and very inefficient users of energy) or they can't afford very much energy.

You might be particularly interested to notice that China and India will become huge users of energy in the next two decades, as demand around the world continues to grow. Where is it all going to come from? I'm not going to predict the future, but I think it's very interesting to note that both China and India will have aircraft carriers in their fleets within just a few years. They both have homegrown versions in various stages of planning or development, but both have bought carriers at the Russian's yard sale that they are refurbishing.

Aircraft carriers do one thing very well - project power and influence far from home shores. I think both countries are concerned with securing oil supply routes on the seas.

All that means that the Phillipines needs to get to work on developing some alternative means of energy or be stuck with an economy that is marked by low productivity.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2006, 10:02 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
I travel several hundred miles down Interstate 10 in Texas on a regular basis, and starting several years ago I noticed trucks hauling giant windmill blades toward the West. I eventually got curious enough to find out what was going on and learned that Texas has mandated that 5% of all electricity used in the state come from wind power (with proposals to increase it to as much as 20%).
According to http://www.seco.cpa.state.tx.us/re_wind.htm,

"Texas is now the largest wind energy producer in the nation with an installed wind generating capacity at 2,370 MW, which is enough power for 600,000 average-sized homes a year. Currently there are about 1,600 wind farms in West Texas alone, and the numbers continue to increase as development costs continue to drop and wind turbine technology improves."

For the past year I have been purchasing wind generated power, an option our electric co-op offers. Prior to the run up in oil prices last year, wind generated power was slightly higher in price, but that's no longer the case. I know there are subsidies and tax breaks holding down the rates, but I'm happy no Saudi prince is benefiting whenever I turn on the AC.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:32 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep - we notice blades and other pieces of windmills going down I-10 a lot too. They're HUGE. Then you drive out towards Fort Stockton, and ridge tops are covered with them.

Audrey