Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #601
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I think it is unfair to characterize Emeritus as a troll, in fact, I think it falls in to the category of name calling.
I disagree. Calling him a pompous ass would be name calling. Calling him a troll merely describes his behavior.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #602
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was going to copy and paste the exact same details of the government's failed attempts at helping the situation, but decided that most people aren't really interested in finding out what is going on. So I'll leave it at the government has hurt the clean up more than it has helped.

In addition to paying people who are losing money hand over fist, BP is hiring many of the fishing vessels to help clean up efforts. BP has since the beginning, been up front with paying to make this right. I have not seen anything (other than the government complaining) that would lead me to think BP is attempting to get out of paying what is owed.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #603
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
In addition to paying people who are losing money hand over fist, BP is hiring many of the fishing vessels to help clean up efforts.............
They've also hired an army of PR talking heads to try to shift the attention from their greed and incompetence and shift the blame onto the government. It is actually a pretty clever strategy.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #604
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I disagree. Calling him a pompous ass would be name calling. Calling him a troll merely describes his behavior.
C'mon, this is like a bunch of dogs complaining about a cat walking by. You guys have not been so energized in months.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #605
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
IMHO a couple of red herrings posited here.

The feds just needed to allow all the help offered to come in from the Dutch for example. And waive the exclusionary rules that prevented such help from doing cleanup.

We are already paying a fortune for bureaucrats to shovel paper by the the ton. That is the federal version of disaster mitigation.

Perhaps if all the written drivel that the feds have produced would be dumped into the GOM, they would soak up the spilled oil, then push the stuff in in a pile then light it off. Certainly would reduce amount of oil and a bunch of useless written drivel kept out of the landfill.

To have the feds stand on ceremony of 99.XX clean water to be dumped back into the GOM, after skimming, when a probable realistic amount is maybe 75 to 80. It is still removing vast quantities of floating crud.

Heck it's only been 70 plus days since the BP disaster. Seems any and all means would be undertaken ASAP to work on cleanup.

Here is a novel idea. Stop all foreign aid to everywhere and redirect the funds to cleanup.

Maybe even cut out the president's joyriding on AF1 to golf outings, that in itself could fund a lot of cleanup.
It was BPs job to submit the clearance for the Dutch ship Before the accident. I have already blamed the MMS for believing the liars cheats and incompetents at BP. but the law and the system is that the leaseholder, not the government is responsible for supplying the physical assets and making sure they are there.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #606
Administrator

When we are reduced to debating precisely what epithet we want to use to describe another poster, the thread has clearly gone past the point of usefulness. It's really too bad, because it is an important and current topic. Unfortunately, some of us have proven incapable of the type of self control that permits open and informative discussion.

For those who believe government is the root of all evil, I recommend going here Daily Kos: State of the Nation You will find plenty of people to argue with you as long as you like. And you can probably call them any name you can think of.

And, for those who believe BP is the devil incarnate, I suggest this site http://www.freerepublic.com/home.htm where you will find plenty of people willing to tell you just how wrong you are.