Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Same thing in Ecuador. It seems that Chevron really trashed some pristine areas.

Quote:
According to the 1993 report "Crudo Amazónico" (Amazon Crude) by the environmental lawyer Judith Kimerling, from 1972 until it left Ecuador in 1992, Texaco intentionally dumped more than 19 billion gallons of toxic wastewaters into the region and was responsible for 16.8 million gallons of crude oil spilling from the main pipeline into the forest. By comparison, the infamous Exxon Valdez tanker disaster in 1989 spilled 10.8 million gallons off the coast of Alaska.
Chevron in Ecuador

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #162
Give me a forum ...

I guess it's the ex-engineer in my, but I'd have thought most people would want to know whether the latest fix is working. But it's not even a top story anymore.

CBSNews.jpg

From my view of the live feed, it looks like an almost total failure. The oil is gushing out the bottom of the top hat, and that's not going to get better when they close the vents.

OilFromBottom.jpg

But what do I know?

On Thursday they said they'd know in 12-24 hours, but there hasn't been much since then.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
From my view of the live feed, it looks like an almost total failure. The oil is gushing out the bottom of the top hat, and that's not going to get better when they close the vents. But what do I know?

On Thursday they said they'd know in 12-24 hours, but there hasn't been much since then.

Looks like they are only capturing about 10%:

Oil Spill Update - BP Capturing 10% of Oil Spill | Gather

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 06-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #164
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Looks like they are only capturing about 10%:
This report is more optimistic, says they captured 6,000 barrels (252,000 gallons) the first day. This would be about 1/3 of the estimated daily spew - better, but still not good.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 06-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

I wish they would choose one: gallons or barrels, and stick to it.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #166
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I wish they would choose one: gallons or barrels, and stick to it.
Remember this is one of the same companies that prices their fuel at price + .9 cents.

Gallons are a more impressive number if they are recovering it, barrels are better when you are spilling.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #167

10% or 33% either way they captured the same amount of oil, 252,000 gallons of oil per day. The discrepency is in the estimated amount of oil being spilled.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #168

It looks like they are catching about a third of what was leaking and have the ability with time to ramp up and catch more. I think it is going to be a long summer in the gulf. Hope the relief wells can get drilled without difficulty or interference from mother nature.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #169

Heard a report they are up to 10000 barrels a day, good news!
What I have yet to hear are any new estimates taken after they cut the riser.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:29 AM   #170

BP said this morning they were now capturing 10,000 barrels (420,000 gallons) of oil per day. According to their CEO: "At the moment it's difficult to say but we would expect it to be the majority, probably the vast majority of the oil."

BP: 'Majority' of leaking oil is being captured - Disaster in the Gulf- msnbc.com

The live feed makes it difficult for me to believe the 'vast majority' claim.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

That live feed looks livelier than ever. Perhaps cutting the pipe increased flow by 30% and now we're capturing part of that extra.

They said that cutting the pipe might increase flow, but I never heard a report on whether it actually did (or a report saying they couldn't tell).

There's no camera angle showing the top of the top hat (the part with the vents), perhaps it would be obscured by oil anyway.

I wonder if there's a web site for oil engineers that has some info that isn't dumbed down for general consumption.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #172

Al, I think the flow of oil leaking from under the cap is visibly less now than earlier today. In this feed it appears to be flowing out more slowly and the "cloud" of oil not as thick - you can see an occasional glimpse of the body of the cap through the oil, something you weren't able to do earlier today.

Edit - Disregard the above. I was looking at a different feed. This one is as bad as earlier.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #173

WoW! If you say so. but it still looks like a lot of oil. However, as I have never seen oil flowing from a pipe 5,000 ft under water, what the heck do I know. I will pass judgment on BP's performance a year or two from now. For me, this is like analyzing each rifle shot in a battle. Let's see how the war comes out. The lost several battles so far, but it's not over.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #174

Rustic, see my edit above...

Old 06-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

I think that a difference in frame rate can make it seem to be coming out faster.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #176
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
BP said this morning they were now capturing 10,000 barrels (420,000 gallons) of oil per day.
That's wonderful. Especially considering they said there were only 5000 barrels leaking.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingHomework View Post
That's wonderful. Especially considering they said there were only 5000 barrels leaking.
The Cap is actually a modern miracle it cleans up 5,000 barrels of oil that are on the beaches and marches.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

We need Blast Hardcheese to solve this thing...

Old 06-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I'm not disputing the fact that there have been man-caused oil residue come ashore in Texas. But Texas beaches, like most other seashores, have always had natural occurring oil seepage washing up. Ancient indians along the coast used oil and tar they found on the shores to make paints for ceremonial decorations. Early Anglo settlers in places like Port Aransas used to collect tar balls along the beaches to waterproof their roofs, grease wagon wheels, etc.

I've read several reports in the last couple of weeks of tar balls washing ashore in places like Florida, that were not from the BP platform. But the only way that was determined was by a scientific analysis of the oil. Those tar balls you see could have come from a spill, a flushed bilge, a leak from a ship, or from Mother Nature herself.

Edit to add: In 1793, during the travels of English explorer James Cook, his navigator, George Vancouver, recorded in his journal that they had anchored off of Goleta, California. Vancouver reported that the sea was
Doesn't wash for me Leonidas. The fact is that the MX spill completely changed the beach experience in TX across the entire coast and persisted for years.

Audrey
Old 06-07-2010, 01:24 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Doesn't wash for me Leonidas. The fact is that the MX spill completely changed the beach experience in TX across the entire coast and persisted for years.
I don't disagree with that at all. However, I do disagree with this statement
Quote:
Even now on the "white" beaches the sand still has dark mixed in, and you still get a dark stain on your feet.
if you are saying that the oil staining your feet today is from Ixtoc.

From Edward Flattau, "The nation's longest running syndicated environmental newspaper columnist":
Quote:
Along the Texas coast today, whatever oil residue that remains from the Ixtoc blowout is under water or underground. But the Gulf of Mexico surf tumbling across South Padre Island beaches is not oil-free. Natural seeps and the profusion of tankers and offshore rigs give the Gulf a high concentration of oil pollution.
The Dirty Aftermath of Ixtoc 1 Oil in the Gulf – Edward Flattau

Quote:
The good news is the Ixtoc experience suggests the Gulf of Mexico has natural properties that help it cope with massive oil spills, scientists say. Warm waters and sunlight helped break down the oil faster than many expected. Weathering reduced much of the oil into tar balls by the time it reached Texas.

Two decades after the Ixtoc disaster, marine biologist Wes Tunnell sank his diving knife into an area where he had spotted a tar patch just after the spill. The blade came out black and tarry but the hardened surface of the patch was under sand, shells and algae that had completely covered it.

"No one else would know that it was anything other than a rock ledge," said [Dr. Wes] Tunnell of the Harte [Research] institute [Texas A&M's GOM research arm].
I'm not saying Ixtoc didn't screw up Texas beaches - I stepped in the tar patties myself, and I remember the kerosene stations they set up so you could clean up enough to get into your car to drive home.

All I am saying is that whatever you are stepping in today is not from Ixtoc.
Quote:
While that was severe, Tunnell noted that natural oil that seeps from the seabed releases the equivalent of one to two supertankers of crude in the Gulf of Mexico each year.

“It’s what I call a chronic spill,” Tunnell said. “The good side of having all that seepage out there is that we’ve got a huge population of microbes, bacteria that feed on petroleum products in the water and on shore. So that helps the recovery time.”
Emphasis added

As I said in my earlier post, tar balls have been on Texas shores forever. Long before we started drilling for oil.
Quote:
Oil seeps occur throughout the Gulf of Mexico. In a 1972 paper titled Natural Hydrocarbon Seepage in the Gulf of Mexico. Researchers from Texas A&M University said this about the history of this seepage:

"Archaeological reports indicate that the Karankawa Indians were using tar in their pottery making in pre-Columbian times. pottery making in pre-Columbian times. Survivors of DeSoto's group used tar found along the Texas-Louisiana coast to caulk their boats.

From 1902 to 1909 heavy oil slicks were noted in an area about 100 miles south of the Louisiana coast. Oil spouting into the air was reported in the same area in 1909. Oil ponds off the Sabine area are reported in a USGS publication in 1903.