Join Early Retirement Today

Oil Spill -- Non-Political & Non-Legal Issues
Old 07-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oil Spill -- Non-Political & Non-Legal Issues

I'm not clear on whether this recent capping operation is designed to seal the top of the well, or capture all the oil.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm not clear on whether this recent capping operation is designed to seal the top of the well, or capture all the oil.
I've read that BP is moving a larger capture ship into the area this week, so "capping operation" may be a misnomer.

It appears they are trying to remove the cap that was hacked at a while ago, and replace it with one designed for the latest capture contraption.

I hope it works.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This sounds good
More important, engineers succeeded in the tricky job of putting a "transition spool" on top of the dysfunctional blowout preventer. That will enable the lowering of the new cap, a 30-foot structure fitted with three rams that can close the well. That installation job should take place at some point Monday morning
BP to install new containment cap, test shutting down flow
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I think the bottom line is the new cap "may" allow shutting down the well entirely, provided it can withstand the extreme pressure of the spewing oil. Short of that, it should provide a secure (non-leaking) means of attaching multiple lines to the well head, allowing all the oil to be piped to ships above.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
gone traveling

I'd rather see the oil flowing to the gas pumps. If the relief well works, cap the old one, hook it up and start pumping. BP can better afford the cleanup if they are selling gas rather than abandoning a good producing well in the Gulf. And this one certainly proved to be a gusher.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

From what it looks like... the are removing an old section of pipe and bolting this new section on... they then will put something on top of that to capture all oil...

I was wondering why they did not bolt on a new section of pipe earlier... but hey, that is me who does not know how it works... and how long it takes...
Old 07-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's a video from BP describing the removal / recapping process:

Sealing Cap Installation Overview with Kent Wells - 9 July 2010
Old 07-12-2010, 06:00 PM   #8

Graphics galore
+50 Ways of Visualizing BP’s Dark Mess | Inspired Magazine
like this one

via
50 Ways to Depict the Gulf Oil Spill | The Big Picture
Old 07-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #9

Shell drilling engineer goes after BP well design and drilling practices at the Aspen conference. This does not look good for BP. A little shocking. I have never seen a big company go after another like this.
Shell Video on "How to Drill a Well" Now Posted - Science and Tech - The Atlantic
Old 07-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #10

There's no more talk on the news about "capturing all the oil" anymore. It's all about whether they can close all 3 valves and seal the leak. "Capturing all the oil" is never mentioned now. The news is constantly leaving out lots of relevant info, perhaps to get it all into a 5 second sound byte.

Obvious solution, not ever mentioned : Just "capture all the oil" indefinitely to the tankers above ( sell for profit like a regular oil well ) , AND perhaps drill the relief wells.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
From what it looks like... the are removing an old section of pipe and bolting this new section on... they then will put something on top of that to capture all oil...

I was wondering why they did not bolt on a new section of pipe earlier... but hey, that is me who does not know how it works... and how long it takes...
I've had thoughts along that same line. When they 'pinched' that old line off with shears it seems to me it would have distorted the thin wall tubing (1/2" wall ? ) quite a bit. Trying to seal something egg shaped rather than round would be more of a challenge, and likely never completely seal.

I think they started off trying to saw the old pipe off? I can understand getting a blade hung up turning into a problem also. Just surprised they gave up on that so quickly.
I guess they were under pressure to make some sort of progress as soon as possible.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
There's no more talk on the news about "capturing all the oil" anymore. It's all about whether they can close all 3 valves and seal the leak. "Capturing all the oil" is never mentioned now. The news is constantly leaving out lots of relevant info, perhaps to get it all into a 5 second sound byte.

Obvious solution, not ever mentioned : Just "capture all the oil" indefinitely to the tankers above ( sell for profit like a regular oil well ) , AND perhaps drill the relief wells.
The big problem with that is when a hurricane decides to come a calling...

The ships have to leave.. oil is now flowing into the GOM to be moved around by said hurricane...

The cap was supposed to allow them to 'turn it off' when needed...
Old 07-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Shell drilling engineer goes after BP well design and drilling practices at the Aspen conference. This does not look good for BP. A little shocking. I have never seen a big company go after another like this.
Shell Video on "How to Drill a Well" Now Posted - Science and Tech - The Atlantic

Shell critiquing BP's operations is like the pot calling the kettle black. One only has to look at the Niger Delta, Sakhalin, etc. to see that there is plenty of leaking crude to go around.

This sounds like someone with an axe to grind got a media opportunity.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Well, there's no oil flowing now -- it was closed off.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know, I saw the stock price spike!

-ERD50
Old 07-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Good, now it's on to the next major potential earth-ending disaster that we all have to fret over, and the media whines on about, and the government decides only they can fix (just by taking a little more of our money and a little more of our rights), and so on, blah, blah, blah.

I wonder what it will be this time. What haven't we done lately? Ah, I think we're due for another virus, or terrorists maybe.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Good, now it's on to the next major potential earth-ending disaster that we all have to fret over, and the media whines on about, and the government decides only they can fix (just by taking a little more of our money and a little more of our rights), and so on, blah, blah, blah.

I wonder what it will be this time. What haven't we done lately? Ah, I think we're due for another virus, or terrorists maybe.
What was the one before this one, I forgot already? I know it was something, really, really bad though. Wait a minute, Toyota brakes? iPhone antennas?

-ERD50
Old 07-16-2010, 02:21 AM   #18

H1N1
Old 07-16-2010, 07:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post

Perhaps it would be better to Prevent disasters rather than paying the much higher cost of cleaning them up?

The flooding after Katrina and Deepwater were both preventable.
And Deepwater isn't over yet...
Old 07-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

t-al, resistance is futile...