Join Early Retirement Today

Ok all Iíve got is cheap mittens
Old 02-26-2019, 07:50 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Drugs I tell you! Or is it age. I never had cold hands but these paper thin mittens I have arenít cutting it. I donít want ski mittens - can anyone recommend a good pair of wool mittens? I know itís late in the season but I hate the cold. Not long ago it was the first time ever I had cold hands... age I guess.. help. I donít want bulky I want quality.

rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2019, 08:46 PM   #2

What do you want them for? How long do you need to stay warm? For example, I have different gloves (mittens) for when I snow blow and shovel snow than I do just for going to and driving the car. Snow clearing takes about 45 minutes and I need a bit more of a sturdier glove.

Generally a mitten with Thinsulate will do you well. If you need more, there’s things like heated gloves and hand warmers that you can put in a glove.

Try these:

https://www.carhartt.com/products/WP...iABEgJZsfD_BwE

Old 02-26-2019, 08:57 PM   #3

Down, goose down. The only insulation that keeps you warm. Get down mittens. You’ll thank me.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:29 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not drugs, but I do advocate better living through chemistry. There are chemical hand warmers that activate when exposed to air. I use those in the toes of my ski boots. They make them for mittens too.

However, I've found that a silk glove liner inside my heavier gloves work really well, are very light and thin.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:30 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 skipro33

It was 3F yesterday when I ran to the grocery store. Chemical warmers kept my hands delightfully warm. If hunting is popular in your area, they should be easy to find.
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Not drugs, but I do advocate better living through chemistry. There are chemical hand warmers that activate when exposed to air. I use those in the toes of my ski boots. They make them for mittens too.

However, I've found that a silk glove liner inside my heavier gloves work really well, are very light and thin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by footenote View Post
+1 skipro33

It was 3F yesterday when I ran to the grocery store. Chemical warmers kept my hands delightfully warm. If hunting is popular in your area, they should be easy to find.
Thatís my set up. Mittens with a liner. In between the liner and the mitten is a heat pack. My DW actually made some small rice bags that can be heated up in the microwave and work for the time it takes me to clear snow. But for longer time periods, I use hot hands.

https://hothands.com

Thereís also these:

https://www.thewarmingstore.com/hoth...ten-black.html

That store has a lot of neat warm hand products. Check out the heated clothing. Like I said above though, kind of depends on what you need and how long you need to stay warm.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:25 AM   #7

I found some, with Thinsulate in them somewhere. Two layers, the first layer is gloves, the second is mittens, gloves within mittens. I can't drive with them, but they are great for shoveling and walking outside. Lightweight and soft too. I wish I had bought more than one pair.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:30 AM   #8

I have a pair of mittens that are made so the part over the fingers hinge back over the back of the hand and held with a magnet. When I need my fingers, say for the car keys, I can just flip that part back over my hand and use them. When finished, the finger part flips back over my fingers and I'm back to being warm and toasty again. They must be for hunting because they are camo, but I don't remember where I bought them. They are fleece with some sort of liner.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:49 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We don't have any mittens or gloves. No reason... we haven't left the house since January 5th. Anxiously awaiting spring, as we're beginning to run our of food.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:53 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

You may want to look into Reynolds Syndrome where hands/feet feel cold:

https://www.webmd.com/arthritis/raynauds-phenomenon#1
CDRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
We don't have any mittens or gloves. No reason... we haven't left the house since January 5th. Anxiously awaiting spring, as we're beginning to run our of food.
Your friends at Amazon can fix that. "Alexa, deliver the milk, eggs, bread, coffee, chicken, and broccoli this afternoon between 2 and 4 PM..."
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:01 AM   #12

Ok its for my 45 minute walks outside. I wear a hoodie and a medium coat that I have to open a bit at the end because Im overheating. My cheapie mittens are ok above 35 as long as it isnt too windy. I find myself walking with my hands in my pockets.. I dont like that it affects my balance.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:07 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I have always had cold hands, and suffer all Winter long usually. I have been looking at some of the heated work gloves, does anyone have any of these, or could recommend any ?
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:08 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I used to wear a pair of thin cotton gloves inside of insulated mittens. The 2 layers seems to help.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:12 AM   #15

Get a pair made with Windstopper fleece, lightweight and warm. + A Thinsulate liner will be warmer yet.
P.S. I meant layer. The Thinsulate layer will add a little bulk along with the warmth.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:39 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
What do you want them for? How long do you need to stay warm? For example, I have different gloves (mittens) for when I snow blow and shovel snow than I do just for going to and driving the car. Snow clearing takes about 45 minutes and I need a bit more of a sturdier glove.

Generally a mitten with Thinsulate will do you well. If you need more, thereís things like heated gloves and hand warmers that you can put in a glove.

Try these:

https://www.carhartt.com/products/WP...iABEgJZsfD_BwE
I have the Carhart gloves similar to the mittens you linked and they are awesome. Snow blowing, hiking, snowshoeing whatever they're light, warm, and stay dry. They lock inside my jacket sleeves and eliminate any gaps for snow or air to invade.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Ok its for my 45 minute walks outside. I wear a hoodie and a medium coat that I have to open a bit at the end because Im overhearing. My cheapie mittens are ok above 35 as long as it isnt too windy. I find myself walking with my hands in my pockets.. I dont like that it affects my balance.
That would make the hot hands kind of expensive. Look into these:

https://www.kenarry.com/diy-rice-hand-warmers/

If you have or can find someone with a sewing machine, these are great. Quick zap in the microwave, put them in your gloves and youíll be warm for a half hour easy. 45 minutes and youíll still be good. Much more than that and theyíll be spent. But, theyíre reusable and way cheaper than the hot hands. When I tailgate, I go ahead and use the hot hands.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:50 AM   #18

One of the best pair of gloves I have are some old motorcycling gloves. Just a thin leather layer on inside of the hands to allow good feel, but insulated on the outside of hand with full insulation starting at the wrist; and also have a nice longer gauntlet that goes up over your jacket sleeve. Prevents the wind getting in. Being leather, they are wind-proof. That is half the battle it seems to prevent heat from escaping is to have a good fit without ability for wind to get in. The motorcycle gloves are also sewn with a slight curve to the hand which is a natural resting position. Not straight like so many gloves and when you bend your hand it causes force which distorts the glove.

I am sure you could find similar at an outdoor store for snowmobile or similar. I don;t ski, but ski gloves may also have same features. Pigskin or deerskin leather is softer than cowhide leather.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:53 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Your friends at Amazon can fix that. "Alexa, deliver the milk, eggs, bread, coffee, chicken, and broccoli this afternoon between 2 and 4 PM..."
No instacart or Uber type deliveries here yet. Maybe next year.

A great website for warmer gloves.

https://www.glovesmag.com/heated-gloves/

One small problem... you'll need a long extension cord.

Also,a teeny bit pricey...https://www.amazon.com/Seirus-1083-T...g=glovesmag-20
Old 02-27-2019, 07:59 AM   #20
gone traveling

Chemical activated hand warmers get your palms of your hands nice and toasty.

Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote