Join Early Retirement Today

OK golf fans, tell us about your balls !
Old 03-26-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OK golf fans, tell us about your balls !

What ball are you teeing up these days ? ProVs, Nikes, Callaways, Slanzingers, Bridgestones, Wilsons, X-outs, etc. ?

Why is this your ball of choice as compared to others ?

And for the bonus question and please answer honestly, how many balls do you lose per round ?

My answer, my balls vary day to day but pretty much a Titlest and Callaway guy and depending one the course, maybe lose one ball at the most, three on a really bad day on a tough course.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #2

I like the spin that a 'tour' model ball provides off of wedges and around the green, just about any of the top manufacturers tour model ball works for me. If cost wasn't the issue I would use the Titleist Pro V1X, but I'm cheap and don't like paying $50 for a dozen balls. Other balls that I use and like are Callaway Chrome Soft, Taylor Made Tour Preferred X, Bridgestone Tour B330. My home course is pretty open so don't lose many balls, maybe one every 3 rounds.

You may have seen in some of the golf stores boxes of Titleist ProV1 'Practice' balls. I'm not talking about refinished or recycled balls. These are balls that Titleist sells in a black and white box and claims are 100% the same functionally as new ProV1's but have failed their QA test for paint or cosmetic issues. I've used them and see no difference, a great deal for about 1/2 the price.

zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:49 PM   #3

I like Titleist Pro V1x. Also like Callaway Chrome Soft. I may lose a ball every other round.

I live on a golf course and just walk over to the pond by my house and can pull a couple of Pro V's out just about any day! As long as they haven't been sitting in the water long they play like new. I also get about one ball a week deposited in my back yard. Haven't bought balls since we moved in a year and a half ago.

The balls that I find that don't make the cut are put in a bucket and then I launch them back into the water when I need some wedge practice from the back yard.

As an added bonus the pond has some nice sized largemouth bass that I am very fond of catching as well!
Old 03-26-2017, 05:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post

And for the bonus question and please answer honestly, how many balls do you lose per round ?
Honestly, zero.... Same number of rounds of golf I have played in my life. (Unless you count Putt-Putt that I played about 40 to 50 years ago)
Car-Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I usually play Bridgestone B330's. I would love to play Pro V's but I'm way to cheep for that. My regular group plays a variety of courses. Lots of tracks to choose from within a hours drive. I probably average 1 lost ball a round. Currently a 10.3.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:28 PM   #6

Usually get the pond/forest balls. Quality depends on the course one is playing or can take the mystery out of it and get them by the bucket at Walmart. My loss rate is also dependent on the course. If a good deal of water and/or an unfamiliar course the usually 2-4 but tend to come out net positive because i have a sharp eye and people don't seem to value their balls as much as when I was a caddie as a kid.

Best deal and easiest pickin's is off the dock at the cottage as the kids next door pound out balls a few times each summer. Makes snorkeling much more fun!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:25 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

wilson staff fiddys or duos. i may lose one or two a round
Old 03-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #8

I gave the game up for 10 years. When I took it up again I decided to play only one brand, the Titleist ProV1. Not because I'm that great, but I just thought I'd take out the vagaries that may exist between brands. They are the most expensive ball out there, so, in deference to my frugality, I only buy "mint" condition used ProV1s on eBay... around a buck a ball...and they look just like a brand new one would look after I play one hole...like I'm going to change balls after a hole?

I now have so many of them that my shag bag and my chipping balls are all ProV1s... just like a pro.
And BTW, it makes no difference... I play just as well (or just as poorly) with any old POS ball I find in the bushes. stupid game.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I live on a golf course. What kind of balls do you want? Callaway, Top Flite, Titleist? I've got 'em all. We mostly practice catch and release and lob them back onto the course. I like to wait until the tee box on 5 is empty and then toss the ball down to try and confuse the next group of players when they do arrive.

Also, if you are trying to get out of the rough near my house, open the face a little so you don't scare my dogs.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

If I don't feel like paying for X'd out ProV1x's, my ball of choice is the Noodle Long and Soft. A good round is one where I have the same ball I started with at the end of the round - about 10-15% of the time. I lose one or two balls a round on a typical day, and when I'm playing a new course I probably lose double that.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:00 AM   #11

Past: Mostly Various Bridgestones (especially "FIX"), Wilson Staff 50 & Duo
Present: Precept Laddy
Future: Nike RZN (close out sale)
Lost: Depends on the course; 0-3/round

I played the Bridgestone FIX the longest because it performed well along with being a good value.

100% x 10% > 10% x 100%
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:41 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Being the frugal type I do enjoy finding more golf balls than I need.

Normally, I play the better balls and give the others to friends of mine that seem to lose them a lot.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:22 AM   #13

Generally I play Slazenger's that I get used (AAAA-AAA) off of Ebay (~$0.45/ball shipped). How many I lose per round really depends on the course I play. At the Frog or Bridgemill I tend to lose 0-2 per round. Some courses around here you can land in the fairway and have your ball lost 30 yards off the fairway in the woods though. In courses more like that around here I'll lose 3-6+/round. In fact, I won't play Woodland Hills anymore because I'm likely to spend more on lost balls than I pay for the round of golf itself (terribly designed course).
exnavynuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:38 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I also live on the golf course. I find a few everyday when walking the dog. So never have to buy any. I mainly keep the good one's like Pro V1, Bridgestone B330 and Callaway Chrome soft. The rest I use as practice balls. I don't lose many, maybe 1 every 2-3 rounds.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:47 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Titleist NXT. I like how it feels. I find so many golf balls that I have them for sale on Facebook for 10 cents a ball. People around here buy them and hit theminto cornfields instead of going to a driving range.
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:58 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
Generally I play Slazenger's that I get used (AAAA-AAA) off of Ebay (~$0.45/ball shipped). How many I lose per round really depends on the course I play.
Did you ever pick up a Slazenger 7 instead of a 1 by mistake?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:03 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thank you to all you hackers who tee up prov's and launch them in the woods. Ive found hundreds of them over the years...never bought these overpriced balls but glad to play them. Ill play any "pro" ball that I find because it helps sooo much considering I rarely break 80.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Did you ever pick up a Slazenger 7 instead of a 1 by mistake?
Nope, never played with Bond either though
exnavynuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:09 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I generally buy high grade, used non-ProV Titleists from the Red Barn (a local flea market type place) or at Walmart. They tend to be NXT, NXT Tour, Velocity, DT Solo, etc and I don't notice any difference between these models. I actually dislike Pro V1 and Pro V1x as I find them harder to hit but I do find some and play them.

In chatting with the guy at the Red Barn, I found out that a grade B ball that has a lot of player markings is downgraded to a grade C.... so I buy grade C's but examine them carefully to make sure I get the better ones (good finish, no scuffs) but if they have player markings I don't mind as it just makes it easier for me to identify my ball.

I typically find a fair amount of balls while playing. I give some to DW and others I will accumulate and use when I play a course that has a lot of water.

I usually lose 0-2 balls per round but if we play a course with a lot of water then perhaps more. Since my cost of balls is about 50-65 cents each, I don't spend a lot of time looking for lost balls... I'm more concerned about penalty strokes than lost balls so I will spend more time looking for a ball that is close to OB than one in a lateral hazard (unless I think it will be playable).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:14 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
.... I don't lose many, maybe 1 every 2-3 rounds.
That actually brings me to a question... how long to play with a ball if you don't lose it or scuff it up by hitting a cart path or something? In those rare instances where I play a round or two without losing a ball... when do I let it retire? Are good balls entitled to retire early?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote