Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I ditched my cellphone a few years ago and have hung onto the landline as it's cheaper, and I don't really need to be in contact with people wherever I go. Its one less thing to have to stick in my pocket when I go out. Besides, I rather like being less connected. It's relaxing being able to go out and knowing that for an hour or two no-one can get hold of me. I look at the birds in the trees, meet lots of friendly local dogs and kitties, and talk to passers-by. Yes - I'm the slightly unhinged local retired guy. I like that!
Cell phones are the best thing that ever happened to crazy people, as one can now walk around talking to themselves and everyone thinks you are on the phone. even if you don't have a cell phone.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #62
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
I still have land line, same number for over 30 years. Also have a Tracfone. I'm about to ditch the LL but don't know whether to switch the LL number over to the cell . It would ditch the junk calls, but a lot of number changing to everyone.
What would all of you do if you had to do it over? Keep the LL number or just go with the current cell phone number?
THANKS
In your situation, I would probably keep the number that gets the fewest spam phone calls. If people need to change their records of your phone number, they will (and faster than you might imagine!)

If/when I ever move, I just won't get another landline phone and I will keep my cell phone too, like you.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Ok, have had it with the land line phone
Old 02-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #63

Ok, have had it with the land line phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
For you with oomas, I believe the ooma gizmo plugs into a modem, correct? Does that mean that the phone location has to be at or near the modem? The reason I ask is that my modem just happens to be on the other side of the house from the area where I most need to use the phone--ie. office, bedroom, etc. This seems to be holding me up from ooma.

Not sure if this is the same for Ooma, but what we did when we switched to Magicjack was that we ran a phone line from the modem with the Magicjack to the kitchen where it's connected to our "main phone" which is the base unit for a cordless phone system with a digital answering machine. Then we have cordless phones (with their powering stands) anywhere we want them, living room, basement, bedroom.

If you don't want to run a phone line to another room you can have your base unit near the modem and wireless extensions all over the house. Our set of phones, one base with answerer and 3 extension units was around $100.

This operates just like having our old landline with extension phones all over the house and an answering machine in the kitchen where we see a flashing light when we come into the house. But this one has no monthly bill.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I still have a landline, and rotary phones.
Any pictures of the rotary? Brings back memories.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:39 AM   #65

Ok, this thread made me decide to buy a ooma! Just ordered one. It comes with a 60 day trial period. Even if I port my current phone number I'll save a couple hundred dollars this year alone by using it.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We still have a landline only because DW didn't want to give it up, and it was bundled with our DSL.

But the phone company just raised our monthly bill by 11% and she has finally agreed it's no longer worth it.

Although the DSL part will be a bit more expensive, next month we'll start paying about $30 less monthly.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #67

Quote:
Ok, this thread made me decide to buy a ooma! Just ordered one. It comes with a 60 day trial period. Even if I port my current phone number I'll save a couple hundred dollars this year alone by using it.
I looked ath the Ooma Telo website. I couldn't find any technical details. I'm pretty sure it would not work with a satellite internet connection (my only choice), but it would be nice if they made such details clear. I guess if I dug deep enough, I would find it.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #68

hermit, call the number on the website. I found the ooma rep very helpful--answered all my questions.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #69

+1. Have been using Ooma ($4/month) for a few years. Others who bought before me don't even pay $4/month. It's $0 for them.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:45 PM   #70
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Any pictures of the rotary? Brings back memories.
These are my phones. The white one hangs on the kitchen wall. The older black one is in the bedroom and the newer black one is in the main hallway. I have another, different one in the garage. If I can find a picture, I'll post it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg we 202.jpg (9.9 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg we 302.jpg (10.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg we 554.jpg (5.9 KB, 128 views)
Old 02-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
These are my phones. The white one hangs on the kitchen wall. The older black one is in the bedroom and the newer black one is in the main hallway. I have another, different one in the garage. If I can find a picture, I'll post it.
I had one like the one in the middle (purchased used from Radio Shack) back in the day when you had to pay additional monthly charges for each phone. I knew I was in trouble when first one phone rang, then the second. The caller said if I had two phones, I'd better disconnect it or they would shut off service. Ma Bell, I miss you.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Gumby, thanks for sharing, love the pictures.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Did you order it direct from ooma? you can buy them at best buy and costco. Costco was cheaper. We have ours set up similar to sue j. The set of uniden cordless phones from costco was around $80.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.

We've got an older Ooma with no monthly charge. Have had it for at least 6 years. Ported our landline number to it, and it came with us to Ecuador. Friends and family still seem weirded out that we moved to South America and our phone number stayed the same.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-25-2014, 05:27 AM   #75

I called ooma to ask a few questions, especially about a trial and refund period (which is 60 days). I asked her to match the amazon price plus free shipping ($125.00) for the Ooma Telo. She did without a moment of hesitation, so I bought it through her. Within 4 hours it was on its way with tracking information provided.
I don't belong to Costco but I think you can also get it there pretty cheaply.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:28 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Is a traditional "wired" telephone still more reliable in an emergency than a mobile (such as a disaster that knocks out the power etc.)?
Old 02-25-2014, 06:55 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I'm pulling the plug on our land line phone and going strictly cellular for DW and I. The robo calls (scams, political calls, polls) are out of control. Looks like savings will be about $600 a year... amazed at the tons of fees assessed to land line phones.

Anyone else cut the cord?
Wow, I agree that our land line spouts mostly junk calls, (and MIL whom we can not train to use our cell,) but rather than get rid of it we simply reduced our fees to the max. We told Verizon we wanted something that would mostly be used for 911 calls, and it works for 800 numbers as well as all incoming calls. Cost is about $5/month.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:45 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

DW couldn't part with our long-time home phone number, so I converted it to Magic-Jack which costs almost nothing. It works very well, but don't get many calls on it except for the junk calls.

However, one feature I really like is a free iPhone app that allows me to use my Magic-Jack number over the iPhone if I have access to a wi-fi signal. This gives me free calling back to the US via my cell phone when I'm out of the country, at least when I'm in the hotel with access to wi-fi.

Just tried to sign up for the nomorobo service mentioned earlier, but apparently doesn't work with Magic Jack.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
Just tried to sign up for the nomorobo service mentioned earlier, but apparently doesn't work with Magic Jack.
In my research about nomorobo I discovered that it doesn't work with conventional landline service provided by Verizon. Just when I was getting a little worked up about putting an end to those annoying calls just to see that this broad slice of landline service was absent......

robocalls........the cockroaches of the telecom system.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucantes View Post
Is a traditional "wired" telephone still more reliable in an emergency than a mobile (such as a disaster that knocks out the power etc.)?
This was discussed in another thread recently. I think the consensus was that the landline was likely more reliable.

We have a landline in earthquake country but I'm still considering pulling the plug. Yesterday I talked to our alarm company tech and he felt that cellular was quite robust during power outages in our area. Our alarm system will have to be changed to a cellular type and he added that is more reliable as the line cannot be cut.

When it comes to a once-in-a-lifetime earthquake (7 or 8 quake), nobody really knows. During Hurricane Sandy there were outages, look up the news stories for more info.