Ok now July 2008 Road trip NC to Central Coast CA?

dumpster56

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We have 4 weeks even more if we want to take a cross country trip. Should we yes the wife who is mad about the laundry, do it? How many of you have done it? My longest trip is 700 miles in one day, been a long distance driver for many years so the driving is not an issue. I do know that todays highways are not much fun, but what do you people think?

All ideas welcome here.

One question first, will you be posting the news while your gone?

I've been on several long-distance trips, some with a SO, some with a best friend, some without. I'd say do it, and take all the time you're both comfortable with. Take the backroads instead of the interstates, stop and enjoy the great views often. It really breaks up the monotony of driving. Four weeks is plenty of time to stop and smell the roses going cross-country, and it's always proven to have been a bonding experience with the person I was with.

I just hope you're not going East to West, because you'll cry when you see gas prices out here.

We have 4 weeks even more if we want to take a cross country trip. Should we yes the wife who is mad about the laundry, do it? How many of you have done it? My longest trip is 700 miles in one day, been a long distance driver for many years so the driving is not an issue. I do know that todays highways are not much fun, but what do you people think?

All ideas welcome here.

Don't you know that oil is [-]$100[/-] [-]$105[/-] [-]$110[/-] $115 a barrel? :p

I wouldn't recommend driving 700 miles a day. You'll be whipped. Take time to drive some non-Interstate highways. Stop at the world's largest ball of twine. Check out some old diners. Stop at scenic overlooks. Visit Civil War battlegounds. I hear the Grand Canyon is nice...

The most important thing to ask is

WHAT WILL WE DO WITHOUT THE NEWGUY news network!

Fine I did the across country drive a few..10 years ago. Ya dont do 700 miles a day if you want to enjoy it. Otherwise it kinda sucks. We drove from Ohio to Ca. Stopped at various joints along the way. But even then by the time the trip was over we were ready to get the hell off the roads. With no time table like you got that should not be a big deal.

Never cross-country because we live in the middle of the country. We have driven from MN to Montreal, NY, DC, and TX, generally 20-30 hours.

When it's just DH and I, we usually stop to rest at night. When it was with friends, we just drove the whole night through. Not fun for me but some people like driving at night.

It looks like your trip could be about 2,800 miles, so about 4 days even if you do 700 miles/day. To enjoy it you probably could do 400 miles/day, although that would take 7 days each way. I think by the fourth day I would get impatient myself, but that's just me.

We drove from the coast of NC to Santa Cruz, CA in 3 days. DH was sick, so I did all the driving and pushed it to get him back home since he was in such bad shape. Not a fun trip, but I know you can definitely do 700 miles in a day since I did more than that. It's not a fun way to go, though. If possible, take a bit more time and go easy on yourself.

Have done quite a few road trips including CA to NC, CA to Colorado and back again and a bunch of shorter trips like CA to Oregon, Colorado to Las Vegas, NC to Rochester, NY, NC to Ohio, NC to Kentucky, NC to Florida.

The main cross-country routes are kind of boring. If you don't have time to take some side trips, then it's pretty monotonous. After a while, all the towns seemed the same. Each with a McDonald's, Taco Bell, and other chain restaurants and stores. The more fun trips are when you can explore a bit and take you time.

Cross country trips can easily turn into a pain in the butt if mandatory time tables and itineraries are scrupulously adhered to,in my experience timetables and destinations can and will be changed on a moments notice,back roads are preferable to interstates,ultimately if you dont get some place it really doesnt matter as you'll get to someplace else.

Quote from Charles Kuralt
Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything.
icon_blank.gif

Last edited:
Are you going to visit the Outer Banks?

Oops. Never mind... You are going the other direction.

Check out Sedona and the Grand Canyon. California has some fantastic National parks. And while you are in CA take the drive up (or down) Pacific Coast Highway 1. It is a great drive.

Last edited:
I'd recommend doing it, and would also recommend keeping your itinerary flexible. Buy an annual National Park pass - there are some incredible places to see, and using a selection of parks as guideposts can create a more interesting routing than just jumping on the Interstate. You could spend a couple weeks in and around Utah if you wanted with places like Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Natural Bridge, etc. And enroute, you'll find more interesting places to visit, run privately or by the individual states.

We've done this a few times over the past several years (Midwest to West Coast). We like to drive, as we always travel with our dogs. A flexible itinerary is key to making it a relaxing trip. As an example, on our first trip we stopped in the Black Hills. I have to admit that I had never considered South Dakota as a target destination for a vacation, but we were enjoying ourselves and stayed three days. And, since learning about the area, we've made two additional trips to the area since then. (The Buffalo Round-Up in Custer State Park is a sight to see; The Minuteman Missle Silos are still on my to-do list)

There were some days we did a lot of miles, usually when I was up early and DW slept while I listened to the iPod. Other days, we felt like taking it easy and did so.

Prior to the last trip I had just purchased a GPS. It doesn't replace a decent atlas if you want to route yourself around the country, but it was well worth the investment for overall navigation.

Enjoy your trip, and take as much time as you can!

G2

What are you going to do about your long distance running addiction? You will be fat and out of shape after 4 weeks of sitting and eating snacks while driving. ;)

What are you going to do about your long distance running addiction? You will be fat and out of shape after 4 weeks of sitting and eating snacks while driving. ;)

I would run for 1 hour every morning while DW would get showered and dressed. We are thinking avg 400 miles a day. Drive from 7 or 8 am to 3 to 4 pm. Make destinations ahead but also real flexable. Outer banks, we will be there next weekend.

Oh with WIFI I would continue the all Newguy News Network from the road!!:D

Tentative stops. Asheville, Memphis, Hot Springs AR, Dallas/ San Antonio, Texas Hill Country, Santa Fe,Sedona/Prescott Grand Canyon. Tahoe, Monterray CA. Heading West. Going back East:confused: Still thinking.. Now that is about 3400 miles... Hummmmm. 4 dollar gasoline 35 mpg, geesh still about 1000 for gasoline roundtrip of about 6500 miles 225 gallons. Maybe we will fly since I just saw a 314 dollar airfair RT on Delta and 100 dollars a week for a rental car!! I could spend a good month IN CA and drive WAAAAY less. Decisions Decisions.. Now if I tell DW this thought we will be flying, but then again she is sick of airtravel these days.

Last edited:
I like driving too. I drove singlehanded 887 miles once, about 15 hours stopping only for gas (and eating only then). Got there fine but I didn't remember the last hour and my head was buzzing when I checked into my hotel room. The older you are, the more dangerous it probably is. Never again for me anyway...

Back when I was 20 something, I could drive to the moon and back, as long as I had a bag o' weed, and a box of 8-tracks... :p

I've driven back home to Indiana quite a few times in the past 24 years (876 mi); it's certainly doable, but not particularly enjoyable...

Now, about, oh, Texarkana, everything from the shoulders down starts aching, and my mind says "you know, if you'd have taken a plane, you'd be landing right about now..."

Now worries; only 11-12 hours to go...... :dead:

Not much to see here in the big D, newguy... :rolleyes:

SonnyBryans.com - Home

Mercado Juarez - Arlington, TX- Mercado Juarez Restaurant

Fort Worth Stockyards

The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza Home Page

Listing: Reunion Tower at Hyatt Regency Dallas

As usual with no location under the user name we are left to wonder as to where this cross country trip is supposed to begin,as Ashville is the first place listed is that the starting point or the first destination?.

As usual with no location under the user name we are left to wonder as to where this cross country trip is supposed to begin,as Ashville is the first place listed is that the starting point or the first destination?.

Oh I am in the raleigh area of NC.

Asheville is the first stop.. Now however we are thinking of flying out and driving back taking two weeks to drive back. asheville would be the last stop then home if we do it that way.

your new plan sounds much more fun than driving that far and then having to drive back! I'd go a little bonkers. The most I do is the nearly 400 from socal to norcal a few times a year and it's not fun! I could not do it for 4 weeks with a few stops of weird things and funky diners in between!

I like your new plan, too, but how much does it cost to rent a car for a one-way cross country trip? It has to cost a lot more than returning at the same location...

I love the west coast, so if you can spend more time driving up and down the coast, I think it'll be a lot more fun.

We went to the outer banks for our honeymoon-- driving from MN, but gas was $0.97/gallon then. It was very nice and we'd love to return some day.

Drove one way in a VW Camper with 3 kids (oldest was 8) from Indiana to Anchorage Alaska. Then drove back a few years later with a Ford LTD Wagon and small Ice Fishing trailer with same kids and an added dog and two other adults. BTW is was not paved back then. Drove mostly late afternoon and through the nights to avoid trucks. Liked it then but doubt I could do it again. I did I would triple the travel time and enjoy the sights more.

Back
Top Bottom