Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Ok, so heres the tough question
Old 09-11-2005, 07:01 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Many years ago we lived next door to a family with a great dane.* My wife and I and our three year old daughter were talking in the front yard with the neighbor, his wife and 4 year old son.* Suddenly I heard my 3 year old scream and turned to see the top 3/4 of her head in the dog's mouth. Only her chin and mouth were still visible.* The dog's owner and I screamed at the dog and he let her go, luckily with only a few scratches.*

The dog never growled, barked or gave any sign of hostile behavior.* Thought she might have done something to irritate the dog and didn't give it much thought other than to be sure we gave it a wide berth from that point on.* A month later the dog bit a little girl down the street on the face and she requied over 100 stitches and plastic surgery for her wounds.

Helen, I'm sure your great dane is a wonderful dog, but you understand why I will never feel comfortable around one.

Now a sloppy old Lab, that's a much different story...

Yeah, a sloppy old lab. That's what I've got. Even when she
gives someone that big old "Woof!" you know she doesn't
mean it. No good for a watch dog. Hell, she would help
burglars break in if they had food

JG

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2005, 10:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Helen, I'm sure your great dane is a wonderful dog, but you understand why I will never feel comfortable around one.
I can totally understand. They are really big dogs. My little maltese bit a 5 year old girl one time. It left a welt on her arm. I felt terrible. If my Great Dane bit a five year old, it would at a minimum break her arm.

I had a six foot extra heavy chain link fence put in around my yard. My male Great Dane is somewhat fearful of people, so I don't allow people to pet him when we are out for walks. I also kennel him when I go away and have a pet sitter come in to take care of the other animals.

There is a lot of responsibility to dog ownership, especially with the larger breeds.

I'm glad your daughter is OK, that must have been a horrible experience.

-helen

Old 09-11-2005, 11:14 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

There are some breeds of dogs that are marked as being mean and there are also some mean dogs within the known nice breeds. The key is to know your dog and train them well. Usually within the first year of the dog's life you should know if he/she is friendly.

We always trained our dogs do have their food taken away from them when they were young. In other words, she was at the dish eating when we would temporarily remove the dish. If there was any trouble she quickly learned who was boss. That way even if one of the kids tried to play with her when she was eating there was no problems.

I can understand people not wanting to leave their pets during the hurricane. I, like some of the others, would have left with my pets before it reached that situation.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:55 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is a very serious situation. However, I cannot picture myself in NO in today's circumstances. I would have made decisions much earlier and avoid the postulated situation.

Personally, my family--and anybody's family--comes first. We would have left early, with the pets (if we had any), but without them if necessary.

It appears that the country is more interested in saving pets than they were saving the poor blacks, elderly and infirm citizens of NO. I am outraged, but the whole situation outrages me. The poorest kid in NO means more to me than any four-legged critter.

For some reason, scenes from the recent movie, War of the Worlds, keep coming to mind. Bodies floating down the river and so forth. It is haunting.

As to forcing people to abandon NO, it is under martial law and it can be done and should be done. There was cholera in Louisiana when we lived there, which I considered to be a national shame. The way the removal is being done is another issue. What is the point of waving m-16's in people's faces? "We are doing this for your own safety. Leave, or we will shoot you?" More insanity from the people who put uniformed sodiers in airports after 9-11, but put criminals in the leaky security program. Has anyone bothered to train these bozos? What you should do if this or that happens? Are they really going to shoot people?

By the way, I saw a tag line today that seems to apply to the NO debacle:

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetance."

Ed the expat, seething in northern Alberta.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy

By the way, I saw a tag line today that seems to apply to the NO debacle:

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetance."

Ed the expat, seething in northern Alberta.

Good quote. Never heard it.

JG