Ok to drive with a missing lug nut?

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I asked for a tire rotation at my last oil change and the shop said they couldn't do it because one of the lug nuts was jacked. I took it off myself and indeed it had snapped off part of the lug nut bolt. My wheels have 5 lug nuts - will it be ok to drive in the city (no highways) for a few days with only 4 nuts on one wheel (unfortunately it's the front) until I can get it fixed?

Interesting question. The reason for 5 instead of 4 is not to provide an extra, it is to deal with the stresses of your particular car. I don't understand why you might want to drive on it, if it were me I would drive (slowly) a few blocks to Discount Tire or whatever and park it until they can fix it. But I get more cautious as I get older (and I have more history to draw on :))

Ha

As long as the other lug nuts are tightened properly, you should be fine. It's not like the other 4 will all of a sudden loosen up on you. Just don't do any cross country trips.

I concur with Dimsumkid. Been there & done that several times in my life. Just be sure the other 4 are tight. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it at all, but I would get it fixed when you get a chance. It's no emergency, though.

Keep speed down, check it regularly, and if you feel any weird wobble, stop! Unfortunately, it's probably going to be an expensive fix. Had one of my bolts get boogered up and had to replace the whole wheel assembly.

Been there & done that...
Add me to the list. As long as you are doing local low-speed driving and get it fixed within a few weeks (as I have done) you should be good to go.

However, if your wheel falls off and you have an accident, I deny saying anything :LOL: ...

Been there, done that as well. Last year, someone tried to steal one of my wheels, failed (couldn't get the lock nut out), and left me with only 4 lug nuts on that wheel.

I called my Toyota Dealership and, because I have custom wheels, they had to order the replacement lug nut in. They said that, in the meantime, driving in the city for a few days with only 4 lug nuts on one wheel was "no problem".

The reason I was going to wait was because I wanted to take it to the dealer which means waiting until I have time to get there and arrange a ride to work...but now I realized that discount tire probably crossthreads tons of lug nuts so they must be experts in replacing them as well, I'll just take it there.

I did some googling on "missing lug nut" and found all sorts of nasty things like warped rotors as a result of uneven torque, accidents where missing lug nuts were discovered, etc.

I would take the car immediately to get the missing lug nut installed. Drive slow, go easy on turns, and git 'er done. :flowers:

If it's simply a case of a broken off lug, which is very common, you should pay more than $20-$30 to have it replaced. Anymore than that, you're getting ripped off. It's a simple fix. The part is less than $5.

Depends

On which brand you have. I twisted a lug off of a toyota, thot, oh my, now I am in trouble.

On most new cars, after removing the tire, if you look VERY closely in how its assembled, you will notice, and moving the assembly around, there is a notch where lug nuts are removed and installed.
Once you have the notch aligned, then take a hammer and knock out the lug.
lugs are $5 or so at autozone. Insert the new lug. Put wheel back on.
The tightening of the lug nuts seats the new lug.

About as simple of a job as there is. Take off the wheel and take a VERY close look at it, and you will see it really is a simple fix.

Helios

..........Once you have the notch aligned, then take a hammer and knock out the lug...........

Don't pound directly on the lug. You must use a punch between the hammer and the lug to keep it from mushrooming. Once it mushrooms, you will ruin the drum / rotor before the lug will some out. Don't ask how I know.:blush:

NTB just did it for $70. I looked at the service manual and I don't think it's as easy as just hammering it out on my car because there's not clearance behind the rotor. Anyway it's good to have it done before I have to go to work and at least I didn't pay the dealer's $130 quote for the same service.

NTB just did it for $70. I looked at the service manual and I don't think it's as easy as just hammering it out on my car because there's not clearance behind the rotor. Anyway it's good to have it done before I have to go to work and at least I didn't pay the dealer's $130 quote for the same service.
Larry the Cable Guy and I are very proud of you! :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom