Join Early Retirement Today
Oklahoma Earthquake
Old 09-03-2016, 06:33 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Oklahoma Earthquake

A little after 7 AM felt the 5.6 magnitude earthquake in DFW area, emanating from Oklahoma. Any one else feel this? Hope none of our members were negatively effected by this.

Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2016, 07:01 AM   #2
Scared the living cr@p outa us! We're both looking at each other and then the dog wondering what's moving the bed. Well that's off the bucket list.

MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:28 AM   #3
Local FB post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1472909263768.jpg (54.6 KB, 18 views)
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Didn't notice this one. Did feel on a couple of years ago...
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #5
Didn't feel anything here in east/central Texas. Maybe that's why I woke up at 7am this morning, which is earlier than usual.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Local FB post.

No...I didn't feel a thing. I guess it takes more than an earthquake to wake me up.
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
Posts: 1,312 chair was shaking some. My first thought was a gas explosion someplace close.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:11 AM   #8
A record-tying earthquake in the edge of Oklahoma's key energy-producing areas rattled the Midwest from Nebraska to North Texas on Saturday and likely will focus fresh new attention to the practice of disposing oil and gas field wastewater deep underground.

The United States Geological Survey said a 5.6 magnitude earthquake happened at 7:02 a.m. Saturday in north-central Oklahoma, on the fringe of an area where regulators had stepped in to limit wastewater disposal. That temblor matches a November 2011 quake in the same region.

People in Kansas City and St. Louis, Missouri; Fayetteville and Little Rock, Arkansas; Des Moines, Iowa; and Norman, Oklahoma, all reported feeling the earthquake. Dallas TV station WFAA tweeted that the quake shook their studios, too.
An increase in magnitude 3.0 or greater earthquakes in Oklahoma has been linked to underground disposal of wastewater from oil and natural gas production. State regulators have asked producers to reduce wastewater disposal volumes in earthquake-prone regions of the state. Some parts of Oklahoma now match northern California for the nation's most shake-prone, and one Oklahoma region has a 1 in 8 chance of a damaging quake in 2016, with other parts closer to 1 in 20.

Matt Skinner, the spokesman of the Oklahoma Corporation Commission, which regulates the energy industry, said members of the panel's seismicity team were at work and would provide more details "as available."

The area where the quake was centered saw a magnitude 3.2 temblor earlier this week and is on the edge of a region covered by a "regional earthquake response plan" issued in March by the state Corporation Commission, whose goal was the cut the number of earthquakes by reducing wastewater injection volume by 40 percent from 2014 levels.

Oklahoma was late in imposing volume limits in its effort to reduce earthquakes, taking a different approach than Kansas after both states had an uptick in quakes in the first half of this decade. Kansas moved quickly to limit volume while Oklahoma concentrated on the depth of the disposal. Kansas saw a 60 percent drop while the frequency of quakes in Oklahoma continued to climb.
Strong Oklahoma Earthquake Felt From Nebraska to Texas - ABC News
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
We felt it in southern Illinois (Hardin County). It was very subtle. The water on our pond was rippling.
There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness.
stargazer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #10
The local OKC station had some 'damage' pictures that were damn a shower curtain rod that fell down. The quake itself isn't funny, but the reporting sure is!

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Founder and Head Lounger @ The Life of Leisure Institute
Retired in 2014 @ The Ripe Age of 40.
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 04:25 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
Daughter was on her houseboat at Lake Murray in Southern Oklahoma and it rocked the boat. She described it as it felt if a big boat went buy and the wake moved the boat.
I assume the reaction up there was bigger later in the day as OU lost to Univ. Houston

dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote