Join Early Retirement Today

Old Amateur Radio Equipment and Parts
Old 03-03-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Old Amateur Radio Equipment and Parts

Mom passed away 2 months ago so sister and I are cleaning out the house prepping it for sale. Dad passed 9 years ago. Dad was in the Army Signal Corps in WWII, a code breaker stationed in Hawaii. After the war he was an amateur radio ("ham radio") operator and enthusiast, even had the coveted 4 character call sign indicating expertise and longevity.

Anyway, he's got a lot of old equipment and parts, (and I mean old!), mostly vacuum tubes, variable condensers (er, capacitors), resistors, coils, morse code keys, etc. For example, here's a pic of a vacuum tube. He's probably got a half dozen of this particular model number, and probably a hundred others of various models numbers. According to eBay, they are worth anywhere from a couple of dollars to $15 a piece.

IMG_20190303_154424.jpeg

There's also an old shortwave receiver, a National NC-240D, with matching speaker. I suppose some of the vacuum tubes he's got in inventory are spares for this receiver, but not sure. Plus some Heathkit receivers and transmitters that I used as my rig when I was a kid.

Years and years worth of CQ magazines, mostly from the 50's, 73 magazines, Popular Electronics, QST magazines, etc.

Is it worth trying to find buyers for this stuff? It's ancient, but I hate throwing it away.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Donate it to the local ham radio club, maybe?

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:12 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Donate it to the local ham radio club, maybe?
Great Idea!
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:20 PM   #4

My father was also ham radio guy. With his stroke he could no longer do it. I was able to gather up his stuff and sell it at a ham radio swap meet. Fortunately had one of his friends to help with identification of items and helping set value for pricing. In the end I was able to clear about $1500 in one day. I priced to sell and was successful. $1500 that went to mom and dad, was nice to be able to do it for them.

Now the stamp collection I did just donate to local stamp club.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:57 PM   #5

At first glance, I thought that picture was of an 807. On further investigation, it seems that the VT-136 is an 807 variant, so close!

It is absolutely worth finding buyers/takers for this stuff. Even if you don't want much cash for it, please don't let it go to rot. Many hams and radio enthusiasts are inveterate collectors. Not all are into vintage gear like this, but many are, and would love the chance to look through your Dad's collection and acquire some of it for themselves.

Major Tom (owner of a 2 x 2 call myself, though not too sure about my expertise and longevity!)
Old 03-06-2019, 07:56 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not familiar with amateur radio, but NOS (new old stock) vacuum tubes bring somewhat of a premium in the guitar amplifier realm...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #7

You could also sell the items to an online store that sells to hams, etc. You might not get top dollar, but you could do it quickly and with a single transaction (maybe look at the prices they are listing for these same items to get an idea of their value). You wouldn't get the retail price, but you'd still be assuring the items get to someone who could use them, and you'd be helping to keep the parts re-seller in biz.
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:09 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

regarding the vacuum tubes

don't neglect the musicians several guys made handmade stuff ( often using military surplus stuff )

good luck in finding a good home for them ( and even better if you make a profit )

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:24 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
There's also an old shortwave receiver, a National NC-240D, with matching speaker...
I look this up out of curiosity. Manufactured date: 1946-1949. Price in 1947: $241.44.

The above price is $2725 in today's dollars.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I look this up out of curiosity. Manufactured date: 1946-1949. Price in 1947: $241.44.

The above price is $2725 in today's dollars.
I found one on an auction site recently for about $300
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:05 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Definitely do not discard them. I restored a 1959 Magnavox console stereo, and the hardest replacement items to find were tubes. Also the most expensive. But the sound was worth it!
nap470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a good friend who has been a Ham Radio enthusiast for his entire life. Several times recently, he has helped the spouse of a passing club member get a fair dollar for the equipment. He checks them out and repairs them before listing for sale. You might find someone in your area who would be willing to do the same for you.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #13

I have an extra class licence and so did my in laws. There is a decent market for new old stock in a few areas such as music amps (like guitars). But you also need the in demand tubes.
Most old equipment is not worth what it use to be with the new generation either not doing ham radio or only wanted all the new design radios. There are a few old radios that have a following that may be worth something.

You may find the effort may not be worth the return for most of the stuff. If you can identify the cherry items you may get something worth your time.

I got the ham licence because I like the technology, not talking on there radio or collecting old radios. I do like designing electronics and the licence allows me to transmit in some bands and at some power levels that I otherwise would not be allowed to do.

Good luck.

bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote