Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA View Post

The Chairman of the Board, has other businesses he is involved with and only has a small office for him self and one server for his email and file storage, it sits in a closet on a table. Just basic network in place, but the other two want to use it now, could end up getting bigger. The server was setup by another person that is no longer involved in the system.
It can get out of hand quickly, and intrude into your life. If you had a dedicated tablet and RA, then what you need to do will become a snap.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you all for the advice, I guess I just need to get the scope of work, present a billing rate (I was billing low for the 1099 income over the last year) based on scope and any additional scope creep items, but my biggest thing is I need to set a time limit on this since I don't want to keep up a new business or get sucked into never ending IT support calls. DW is still working and this could provide some mad money for me until she ERs Oct 1, 2015. Maybe that is my time limit.

By the way MooreBonds, I was the Director of IT so I got a year's severance, bonus, vacation, and stock vesting. I got what the business charter required for executive levels, most others below the executive level got 6 months severance and earned vacation paid.
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Tough crowd. The company treated DFA very generously - a year of severance + bonus + vacation + + - really? I have never been corporate or really much employed by anyone, so the idea that someone would pay me after I've stopped working for them is very foreign. I am familiar with the concept of treating others as I am treated and business being about relationships though. I would view any help given as reasonable payback or fertilizing the ground in hopes of future crop. Put me somewhere in the Bestwifeever or Revlefty camp.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Call him once. Tell him you are raking leaves this weekend, and wonder if he can come by to help.
And, if he comes over to help rake the leaves and brings lunch as well? I guess you could still turn him down as he was raking. But, I'd be concerned about a whole lot of bad Karma if it went down that way.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

DFA, how about a conversation with your old boss along the lines of... "Sounds like you're getting to the point where you need more IT help than I can provide. If you want, I can suggest a couple of folks you might contact to see if they are interested in doing some work for you."
Old 11-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #26

You indicated that you don't want to get into a full time "pita" position , as it would evolve into if their business grows.

I have seen a LOT of mid level , very capable IT folks kicked to the curb , and replaced with younger(cheaper) folks. Surely you must know somebody in that situation that you could recommend to fill this spot
Old 11-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #27

Looks like REWahoo beat me to the same thing.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Grape mines...
Old 11-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

What REWahoo said. Be nice, but set limits.

I think most of us have had this happen after RE. How I dealt with it was to agree to up to 40 hours of volunteer work on a specific project as a matter of goodwill. I kept a detailed time log, and sent it to the project leader periodically. I did end up spending a few more hours on the project in the end, but followed through, and travelled at their expense. A year later, I received a request for more volunteer work, and I replied that it was now time to hand this over to others.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
I have seen a LOT of mid level , very capable IT folks kicked to the curb , and replaced with younger(cheaper) folks. Surely you must know somebody in that situation that you could recommend to fill this spot
Best idea I've heard. Great suggestion!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

My only issue with taking payment would be if something goes wrong. Would you be opening yourself up to a lawsuit that would ruin your ER?

The other danger is you will get sucked into maintaining and fixing this new system. Not so good.

It's a bit of a cynical attitude I know. If you feel gratitude for the way they treated you in the past, just offer some free advice over lunch. Let's not be so cynical we can't offer some help to a fellow human being who treated us right.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The other danger is you will get sucked into maintaining and fixing this new system. Not so good.
That would be my concern as well. Many people never quite get their heads wrapped around what "retired" means.

And I have this on the back bumper of my pickup truck:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck_sticker.jpg (62.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Although I'm not in the exact situation DFA is in (i.e. RE, although it IS coming), I was asked by departed individuals (including the former owner) of a previous employer to provide some help & advise to their new start-up. They offered to pay.

I did it pro-bono for them because they treated me right when I worked for them, and I truly wished them the best in their new endeavor. It turned out to be only a few man-weeks of research (moonlighting) over several months.

We did agree that my help would not turn into a long term committment. This was my choice, I agreed to it, and my situation and relationships with the requestors may not be the same as the OPs.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Other than simple things with close relatives, I cannot imagine either asking someone to work for me without compensation, or allowing someone to ask me to work for them without compensation. It is simply boorish, demeaning and rude.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #35

If they are tight on cash ask for some equity in the new company in exchange for your services.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #36

What is it about retired that many people can't wrap their head around? I am in the process of letting everyone know that when it's over I'm gone. On to the next chapter and new priorities.
My DM worked for 50 years at a brokerage house that really kept pushing the boundaries. She only really quit when they all died. Not my plan.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Well talked to CEO today and we agreed to meet next week to discuss scope of work and told him "DFA gotsta be paid for services" and he agreed, but also told him that when DW retires next year (Oct 1, 2015), the job will need to be turned over to someone else. He agreed to that too. I also told him that it was not going to become a full time gig. Thanks for all the advice and recommendations on how to approach this issue, helps to bounce things off people that have dealt with this too.
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Good that you were able to work through it in a way that met your needs and preserved the relationship.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:45 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Learn to say no. I know its hard but people will take advantage of you. I too was too helpful and finally learned this. My time is worth money and some times I don't have time to sell or don't want to. I referred a business I was doing IT side work for to a IT by the hour company and also to the MSP (Managed Service Provider) we use for when task exceed my experience or skill set.

It was a HVAC company and we were operating on a trade for time. Then owner did a service call for me and I provided several hours of IT support. Once it got too unbalanced and I would have to start charging I told him I didn't have time. He said hey its extra money and I said hey I have more money then I need and referred him as explained above. Additionally he would want support during my working hours and it created a conflict.

If you enjoy the side work and want to be compensated just explained that you didn't mind helping a bit but now its more than that and that your hour hourly rate is $xx an hour and your only willing to work x hours a week.

I would go ahead and set up another person/company that you can push the support off to if you don't feel like playing IT for the day.
mike143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #40

The CEO seems like a decent and professional guy. Open and positive discussion goes a long way in that scenario.

Just need to be clear if it's about helping out a friend for a while to start something new in his life, or free-lance professionally for a cash strapped startup.

I wouldn't mind working for free in the first case (have done so in the past). You'll feel good about yourself and he will be grateful. Sometimes it even pays off in the future in unexpected ways.

Which case is applicable is for you to judge, but it seems you are handling it very well
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote