Old Brand Names

Whatever happened to those 'Members Only' jackets that everyone wore at one time? I miss those.

Remember the GeoWorks operating system? We used it back in 1990, before Windows and Microsoft were big names. It was a toss-up of whether to use Windows 3.0 or Geos/Geoworks, a pretty close parallel with the Graphic Interface...

We stuck with GEO until Microsoft offered Windows 3.11. The ultimate...
I have a Commodore 128 and a copy of the Geos operating system, but the computer hasn't been plugged in for over a decade and I have no idea whether it still works or not. I have a couple of other old Commodores and a Vic 20, and some of the old books and magazines that were published with info about how to write your own programs for them. Reading the books and articles, I felt as if I almost understood how the programs worked! The days when I could even fool myself into thinking so are long gone! But I sometimes fantasize about writing a little program to control ventilation in a home greenhouse or something like that, if these oooold computers still work. There used to be all sorts of sensing equipment you could get for Commodore computers. I bet some of it is still available on Ebay.

For another computing oldie-but-goodie, does anyone else have fond memories of the Hypercard program for Macs? I still have a copy of that, too, and a computer capable of running it, but since Hypercard doesn't run under OS X, I doubt I will ever do anything significant with it.

I still have one, still wear it.

:blush: me too...

I still have an ADAM computer...

...and about programming? ya almost had to... except for the built in Pong game, not much you could do without programming it yourself.

How about modems and going on to billboards, before Email existed...
The programming instructions for my Hayes 300 baud SmartModem were in a book in tiny print, and 54 pages long. Still remember the beeps, as the modem connected. Maybe 1986:confused:?

Ah me... subject was Brand Names... Adam.... Hayes....

Last edited:
Value Jet
Commodore
Body On Tap
Bristol Cream?

Mini computers, Digital, DEC, WANG, Apollo, PRIME

I liked PRIME, the OS was written in FORTRAN!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom