Old bunny rabbits.

I'm glad your bunny is OK. To treat our dog's arthritis our vet recommended we grind up a Chondroitin/Glucosamine tablet and sprinkle it in her food. This worked for a few years and then we progressed to Rimadyl tablets.
Thanks, I'll add that to our questions list.

He's pretty funny with these evening raisins-- he's always practically done the moonwalk for one but now he must think he's getting the "Best Bunny" prize or something. He's already scampering over to me as soon as he sees me holding it in my hand, and after he snarfs it down we get the full-body headshake of joy. I don't think he even notices that they're chewy on the outside and crunchy on the inside... and by the way he's moving it's awful hard to tell that his infrastructure is getting creaky.

It's great to hear about Peter's progress, he definitely lucked into a great home.

The raisins reminded me: For dog owners, don't feed your pooch raisins or grapes. Even a few can lead to renal failure. There's not much clarity on what causes the problem, and not all dogs are affected at all times, but when it happens it is serious.

Five days is probably too early to make a definite conclusion, but we're cautiously optimistic. Before we went to the vet, Peter bunny was coughing just about every morning. Since we've started the diuretic there hasn't been a single cough, and this morning he played our chasing game four different times. He must be feeling pretty perky.

No complaints about the raisins. I don't think he even notices that they're chewy on the outside yet crunchy on the inside, and his litterbox habits haven't really changed.

I'll give the vet a call next week for a prescription. We were charged about 50 cents/dose where PetMeds.com appears to be selling the same pill at about a dime a dose. Hmmm. I think we'll have a talk about that too.

We've finally reached our daughter (she just finished a rough week of college exams) so now I can post about our pet bunny.

I'm sorry to say that Peter Bunny died suddenly on Thursday night. His heart gave out and it was all over very quickly. I don't think he even felt it.

He must have been having a tough day because he spent most of it with me at the computer desk. A little after sunrise he had a huge cardiac-congestion cough, his first in several weeks. Around 9 AM he stopped his usual bunny business to tickle my feet with his whiskers and pester me for petting. After petting him six or seven different ways spread out over 20 minutes I finally picked him up and sat him in my lap. He's not a lap bunny so he was pretty surprised but he sort of settled in and enjoyed more petting. After another 20 minutes he started to get restless so I lowered him back to the ground. He hopped over to the lanai door and crouched down on the rug to watch the birds.

These bad days were starting to happen more often and he's been losing weight, so I called the vet for a checkup appointment when we could talk about deciding how to consider euthanasia. The vet suggested more diuretic so I gave him a dose around noon. After licking the plate clean he went behind the couch to his cardboard-box burrow and took a nap.

The diuretic must have helped him rest, but it wasn't a cure. When he got up he sat in his usual spot by the recliner watching me at the computer desk. He'd come over for petting every once in a while or I'd pet him while I was walking around. I realized that I hadn't seen him eat or drink since early morning. I eventually persuaded him to have a bit of banana. Around 6 PM he crawled under the recliner. Just a few minutes later I heard him make a huge back-foot thump and give a small cough. I looked under the recliner and he wasn't moving. I lifted the recliner up and he was laying on his side. I petted him and realized that he wasn't breathing and had no heartbeat. It happened so quickly.

I think his heart was very weak. The heart attack must've taken his life before he even realized what was happening, let alone felt any prolonged pain or suffering. Maybe he over-exerted himself wriggling around under the recliner. Or maybe he thought his time had come and he was looking for the right place.

Our whole family knew his body was failing and we've all taken the time to say our goodbyes. This shouldn't have surprised us "grownups" but I've never been around a pet's death before and it hit me a lot harder than I expected. It took a few hours to track down spouse at her hotel in Saipan. Then we had to decide when to break the news to our daughter around her exam schedule. I just finished a phone call that no parent wants to make. Our daughter's sharing in her own way (on Facebook, of course) and her friends are gathering.

I buried Peter's body yesterday in a spot my daughter had picked out while she was home last Christmas. I was able to pick up his food & water dishes and take care of his litter box. But the whole house is still filled with all the reminders & habits we've shared over the last nine years, let alone the bunny equipment, and it all keeps sneaking up on me. Spouse will be back home Sunday night, but I think we'll wait to take care of Peter's things until our daughter's home for summer break next month.

I haven't been very functional for the last couple days, and after this post I'm going to take a week or two to get caught up on all the things that have piled up in the last month. I can tackle the blog and the book and taking care of my Dad's affairs, but not much more until I get caught up on those.

I appreciate all the e-mails & PMs you've sent over the past few months, and thanks for everyone's support. This has been a particularly nasty month but I'm pretty sure that the days will begin to suck a little less. I'll get a handle on it, and I'll be back later.

I am so sorry, Nords. Peter Bunny had a wonderful life with you and I know you must miss him.

Nords,
Very sorry to hear this news. You guys gave Peter a great home. We know a family with a bunny, and the little guy was litter trained and sociable, but they kept him in his crate 24/7, which was sad. Unfortunately, I think this is the norm. Your bunny had a really good life.

So sad. Their lives are so short. They do become part of us. Peace.

Nords, you have my deepest condolences on the loss of Peter. I'm relieved you didn't have to make the decision no animal lover wants to make and he died at home with minimal discomfort.

As you know, I'm particularly fond of cats. This is what inspired me to volunteer at the animal shelter. A good friend of mine at the shelter is a bunny lover and she has taught me to understand and appreciate them.

Rabbits are often misunderstood, mistreated, adopted on a whim, and then turned into the shelter when their owners are no longer interested in them. I know you put up with Peter's chewing and other things, but you never once expressed a desire to dump him at the shelter.

Thank you for being such a wonderful and responsible companion to Peter all these years. The world could use more people like you, Mrs. Nords and your daughter.

I'm so sorry to hear about Peter. He had a good life and I'm glad he went quickly and peacefully.

Peter was a very lucky bunny. RIP.

This has been a particularly nasty month but I'm pretty sure that the days will begin to suck a little less. I'll get a handle on it, and I'll be back later.
I can relate darlin'....

I'll be sure to give my kitties an extra scratch and pat tonight in honor of Peter bunny.

It's tough to have one's pet die. But, I hope when it's time for me to go, it will be as quick as Nords' bunny.

We had to have our late cat put down. I made the decision to end her misery, and for days afterward, my wife kept asking if it was the right thing to do. I still miss my sweet cat.

Bless you for taking such good care of your animal friend (and all others on this forum who do so).

That kind of caring and loyalty is worth far more than any of the financial/employment issues normally discussed here.

Nords, so sorry to hear about Peter Bunny. You all gave him a good life. What better thing is there in life than to be loved and cherished? I discovered recently that my pug-mix (adopted at what I thought was approximately 2 years old was most likely 5 years older). He has become quite gray and arthritic over the winter. I keep the house very warm and give him lots of treats. I carry him up and down the steps. So hard, but I keep thinking that I rescued him from a shelter. It was no-kill but what would have happened to him if I had not brought him home? I will be OK if I have to put him down (if he starts to suffer) but I don't think I will get another dog for a few years.

Nords, sorry for your loss, but it sounds like the bunny went in a peaceful way.

So sorry to hear about this, Nords. I had been following your posts about him. You were a wonderful bunny dad.

It's coming up on a year since our beloved cat died. I still think about him every day. Still very sad but lots of wonderful memories, too. He was the cat who would bring stray socks upstairs from the basement hamper. I used to get choked up sorting laundry after he died. Now I see it as a time to remember what a clever, silly, spunky cat he was.

RIP Peter Bunny - and my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. {hugs}

I can't believe that I am feeling upset about a bunny that I never knew.

I'm just glad that Peter had a peaceful passing and you did not have to make the decision to euthanise. Remember the good times.

So sorry to hear about your bunny. Sounds like his last days were pretty good. I'm glad it worked out you were home.

RIP Peter Bunny.
I'm glad he had a quick passing. It is hard to lose a much loved pet. My condolences to you an your family.

Back
Top Bottom