Join Early Retirement Today

old car sightings
Old 10-16-2018, 08:39 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

old car sightings

Recently saw a 1960 Edsel Ranger on the road, nicely restored. Sometimes around here I see a 1963 Studebaker Lark in original condition (unrestored) being driven by a fairly old lady.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2018, 08:47 PM   #2

'69 Camaro is the best I can come up with in this neighborhood. Convertible -- black over red. Nice car. It is garaged and covered at all times except when it is being driven.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Saw a friend's 1956 Ford two door sedan Sunday. He also has a 1965 Corvair convertible to play with. Toys!
Old 10-16-2018, 10:22 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I moved to Portlandia a year ago and frequently see iron in the wild that rusted away decades ago in my native Michigan. Today I followed a VW Rabbit pickup truck, which I'd honestly forgotten ever existed.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:35 PM   #5

When we were in St Moritz, Switzerland, we were there the week for Classic British car, I believe my husband spotted a Jaguar his father bought before he got married, must be in the 40s.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I moved to Portlandia a year ago and frequently see iron in the wild that rusted away decades ago in my native Michigan. Today I followed a VW Rabbit pickup truck, which I'd honestly forgotten ever existed.
I saw a VW 1500 2 door in Bend on Monday. I had to look it up. Never seen before. I have a picture of a handymans Prius pickup. He was a body man and did the work himself. Then painted it. It looked really good

I have an irrational need for a Volvo Amazon. I check Bring a Trailer every month or so. I have no where to put it, or drive it, or use for it. I just want one

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963-volvo-122s/
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:31 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The oldest car I see in the neighborhood is a 65 corvette. I have only seen the neighbor driving it a few times in the 34 years I've lived in the neighborhood. Awesome car, but he should drive it more.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:11 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

My co-worker sold his wife's 1955 T-Bird to put his son through Duke University for one year. She got it on her 16th birthday with 13K miles. When he sold it in 2005, it had 23K miles.

After his son got out of medical school, he bought a 62 Corvette that was a 100 point show car. It was his 54th Corvette and is the best of them all.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:19 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

i just found Bring a Trailor too!!!! I think im in trouble, Blow the cash !!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry DD no inheritance for you :-)))

f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:57 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I always enjoy seeing old cars on the road, and I probably see at least one every week. Every so often we’ll see a bunch, which tells us there’s been a show nearby. And every Friday night in summer there’s a classic car show at the local Harley Dealer too, mostly old muscle cars.

Often times I can identify the make/model though not the exact year. A couple days ago I saw one on the road I wasn’t sure about from the front, but when I saw the back I told DW it has to be an old Cadillac (pic below of the model). Looked it up and sure enough, a ‘48/‘49 Cadillac - hadn’t seen one in a long, long time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4123C321-9A1D-400A-B151-C4837D45CDFA.jpeg (1.23 MB, 12 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:30 AM   #11

Saw an MGA in the Aldi parking lot just the other day. DW immediately said, "Don't even think about it."
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:59 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

One of my high school buddies has posted a bunch on FB. He's helping some college students restore a Tucker AKA "Tin Goose".

Here's a link about the project:
https://news.psu.edu/story/531962/20...motive-history
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:00 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Walked by a rough 60s(?) big black car yesterday - a RHD Bentley. Leather bench seats front and rear with fold down divider armrests. Lots of real wood, fold down desk tables for the rear occupants, with ashtrays. Large recessed mirror backed and frosted glass shaded lights in the sail panels.

Looking it was probably a S2, similar to but older than this one:
Old 10-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
BAT has been seeing crazy prices for the old '60's and "70's Volvos. Don't know why, as those were pretty OK cars, but didn't do anything really too well.

I get my daily fix of BAT, and it looks like a lot of nice old collector iron is selling well, maybe due to the hot economy? I'll bet during the next downturn these cars will be a lot cheaper.

I sold the 1971 VW Beetle that I restored last year and had people fighting over it. It was really nothing special and the year was not that collectable, other than the fact it was the first year of the Super Beetle and still had the older flat windshield and dash. Pic below;

VW Restored.jpg
Old 10-17-2018, 05:12 PM   #15

Restoring/collecting old cars seems to be a popular hobby around here and especially on nice spring and summer weekends it's very common to see one, or a bunch of them if there's been a nearby car show.

I think the oldest one I've seen was a Ford Model T.

The AACA Museum in Hershey, PA is a bit over an hour away and I've been there a couple of times. Very nice way to spend a few hours.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #16

Here in Santa Paula, CA we have 2 car events. Every Friday during the summer, Main Street is blocked off to all except pre 1965 cars.
Every first Sunday of the month, the airport has open hangars, and a number of caar clubs and antique cars show up. I have attached a couple of samples
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0105-105622.jpg (240.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6142.jpg (612.5 KB, 12 views)
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:06 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
One of my high school buddies has posted a bunch on FB. He's helping some college students restore a Tucker AKA "Tin Goose".
Here's a link about the project:
https://news.psu.edu/story/531962/20...motive-history
I'm surprised they'd take on such a rare car as a Tucker to restore. I used to see a Tucker sitting on the sidewalk at Publix Supermarket in Tucker, GA all the time. It was driven by the local lumber yard owner, Mr. Cofer.

See: Collection - THE STABLE OF THOROUGHBREDS II
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
I saw a VW 1500 2 door in Bend on Monday. I had to look it up. Never seen before. I have a picture of a handymans Prius pickup. He was a body man and did the work himself. Then painted it. It looked really good

I have an irrational need for a Volvo Amazon. I check Bring a Trailer every month or so. I have no where to put it, or drive it, or use for it. I just want one

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963-volvo-122s/

My neighbor had one of these for a very long time ( bought it it new ) . He eventually sold it when he didn’t want to maintain it any longer. His was an enamel yellow pastel similar in look to the blue one in the link
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #19

Not a lot of old cars around here. But I do see a beautiful restored 76 Monte Carlo every time I go to the kegerator for a homebrew in my garage.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:11 PM   #20

I just saw a ‘66 Mustang on my street the other day, and did a double-take because I had one after high school. Pretty cars, but mine was a death trap, and with the I6 and a 3spd manual, could barely get out if its own way.

Not sure I’ll ever own another vintage car, but I never miss the chance to admire some else’s when I spot them in the wild.