Old Economy Steve

JoeWras

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anyone catch wind of this "Old Economy Steve" internet meme that went viral?

The Atlantic calls it the "The Official Meme of Embittered Millenials" Old Economy Steve: The Official Meme for Embittered Millennials - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic

To this I say, "can't we all get along?" Every generation has some issue with the previous. Although my parents live in great prosperity compared to their parents, and they got great pensions, they also went through hell. The great depression as kids, poverty, etc. Not to mention WWII.

To the Millennials, I'd also say be grateful you don't have forced conscription to the battle front. You don't know polio. AIDs is a chronic disease for you, not something you fear getting after a simple operation, etc.

There are some good memes if you follow the links the article. One of them simply says "Retired". I laughed at that one. Turns out the guy in the picture is not retired. They found him, and NY Mag has his story: Meet the Real-Life

He seems pretty good-natured. Says some of the memes even describe his life.

It's definitely not a bitter meme. I like making memes and things like that, and they're much more silly and good spirited than bitter, I'd say. We like those memes in the same way past generations like to go on about the next generation's music, clothes, art, relationships, and work ethic.

Everyone thinks the world was best when they were at their most vulnerable, hormonal, and emotional periods in their lives. Like putting a kid today in a room with a kid from the 80's and having them argue about which Karate Kid movie was best :p

I like Steve too XD I hope he does capitalize on it! That's what some of our local infamous kid memes' families were doing to set up college funds off of the silliness.

As one born in the 80's, I had to suffer through many things. Slow dial up internet. Netscape. Life before google. Big clunky expensive cell phones.

As one born in the 80's, I had to suffer through many things. Slow dial up internet. Netscape. Life before google. Big clunky expensive cell phones.
Good point! Hey kids, let's watch you spread your meme over 1200 baud. Ha ha ha. (Hell, 300 if it is 1981)

Warmin' up to this one...:LOL:

Will comment after checking out the links... :dance:

Hint... "before plastic"

Good point! Hey kids, let's watch you spread your meme over 1200 baud. Ha ha ha. (Hell, 300 if it is 1981)

Or 110 baud if it is a teletype with an acoustic coupler!

-gauss

A video of an early teletype. For all the speed demons.

Back
Top Bottom