Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-14-2009, 05:49 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

SO and I picked it up from "Three and a Half Men." We old farts took to it like fish to water, swimming pools, the Malibu beach, and say it often just for fun. Charlie and his stalker (the hilarious Rose) do it often, always strikes us funny. It's definitely advantageous to know where your stalker is.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
freebird....that video is a rip snorter! Of course I had to get over the creeped out feeling of that moon...........
I think Mr. Moon likes yooooooooooooooooooo...

Did you like the translation halfway through? Watch it again and read the lyrics below the moon man.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm glad someone else asked what Marco Polo is as I did the same just last week. Never heard of it when I was a kid...darn.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I think Mr. Moon likes yooooooooooooooooooo...

Did you like the translation halfway through? Watch it again and read the lyrics below the moon man.
Woo Hoo...I've been mooned. Yes, I saw the translation....
Old 08-15-2009, 07:34 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I felt like a real old fart a few weeks ago when my niece wanted to add me to her Twitter list. "Sorry, Aunt Purron doesn't twit."
Old 08-15-2009, 08:50 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I felt like an old fart a couple of months ago when I got an email from an old schoolmate asking me to be her Friend on Facebook.

I don't "do" Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, etc. Monumental waste of time IMHO (unlike this forum!)

And I just hate those people who start jabbering away on their Blackberries or iPhones as soon as the aircraft lands: "Newsflash: We Just Landed! See you in 20 minutes!" Waaay too self important.....

Old 08-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #27
Administrator

I feel that way too, because I don't text or twitter. I have no reason to do it, that I can tell. (I also only use my cell phone when I have a reason to call, not for entertainment).

But I suspect that at some point we are going to have to "come up to speed" and learn to text. Younger people are just crazy about it, though I don't really understand why.

I guess we are living antiques. But then, antiques are beautiful...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
And I just hate those people who start jabbering away on their Blackberries or iPhones as soon as the aircraft lands: "Newsflash: We Just Landed! See you in 20 minutes!" Waaay too self important.....

I take that as a refusal to live in the here and now. They are elsewhere doing very important things, no waaaay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
But I suspect that at some point we are going to have to "come up to speed" and learn to text. Younger people are just crazy about it, though I don't really understand why.

SO is more backward than I, just learned about Facebook, is not wired at all. I resist going further than knowing about Facebook, if we become twits, the young whippersnappers will just come up with something else. Progress ain't what it used to be.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The act of trying to locate your own misplaced cell phone by calling yourself [from another phone].
That's a pretty clever re use of an old term, and is much simpler than saying, "hey can I borrow your cellphone to help find mind").

Maybe this should go in the retire your pool thread, but playing Marco Polo is one of the few reasons for having a pool. Of course, like all things involving a pool it is much better if somebody else cleans, maintains, and preferably owns the pool.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #30

I had DW call mine the other day. Since um I couldn't find it. I found it after detecting a strange buzz in my pocket.

What can I say these shorts I have got lots of big pockets!
Old 08-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I had DW call mine the other day. Since um I couldn't find it. I found it after detecting a strange buzz in my pocket.

What can I say these shorts I have got lots of big pockets!
I do a certain amount of wiring repairs hot - almost without fail my honey manages to call me as I'm really focused on replacing an electrical receptacle or whatever. Nothing like getting a buzzzt! in my hip pocket while working with electricity! I do not shout Marco Polo when that happens.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I do a certain amount of wiring repairs hot - almost without fail my honey manages to call me as I'm really focused on replacing an electrical receptacle or whatever. Nothing like getting a buzzzt! in my hip pocket while working with electricity! I do not shout Marco Polo when that happens.

Can you hear me now?
Old 08-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

No Facebook, no Twitter, no MySpace. I spend enough time driving you all crazy.
I do use texting with cell phone with dh2b. It is a great way to re-remind him of his medical appts, or send him a short shop-on-the-way-home list. Or be thoroughly nauseating and send little cutsie notes or
...ahem...messages of the XXX kind.
I try to time those when I know he's in a meeting or with the posse at lunch. His cell vibrates, not set for ringing.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I have heard a couple of times young people yelling "Marco" and "Polo" back and forth at each other. Where is this coming from? Does it mean anything?

Feel free to share your own aging experiences
I just heard a bit on Prairie Home Companion this morning about a guy who wanted to destroy the kids in the motel pool who were yelling Marco, Polo, Marco, Polo at 7:00 AM. First he would make them read the "Life of Marco Polo," then a history of China, then a history of Venice (Polo's birth place) then he would have drowned them.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I [] send little cutsie notes or
I try to time those when I know he's in a meeting or with the posse at lunch. His cell vibrates, not set for ringing.
You devil!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Or be thoroughly nauseating and send little cutsie notes or
You're good when you're good, but you're better when you're bad
Old 08-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You devil!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
You're good when you're good, but you're better when you're bad
Hey, this guy is waiting a total of 8 years (since we met) to be able to marry me. Gotta keep it fresh.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:41 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey, this guy is waiting a total of 8 years (since we met) to be able to marry me.
Why don't you put him out of his misery and let him make an honest woman of you?
Old 08-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why don't you put him out of his misery and let him make an honest woman of you?

I'm still kicking the tires.

All kidding aside, there's the sticky issue of remarriage before age 55 causing a total loss of pension/health benefits standing in my way. It's always the fine print...
Old 08-17-2009, 06:24 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

The act of trying to locate your own misplaced cell phone by calling yourself [from another phone].

Now if we could just get a version of this manufactured for misplaced eyeglasses and keys, we'd be golden.