Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-26-2014, 08:57 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Thanks for all the replies! Brings back the memories, does it not? May take a couple of these manuals down to recycling today and turn them into Fedex boxes.
Yep. I feel your pain. At first we hung onto old books and manuals because, well, maybe someone would ask us to look at old code, right? At least that's what we told ourselves. But, really, DH and I are bibliophiles. When we got together, the biggest issue we had in combining households was all the books. We purged a lot back then (both IT and non-IT).

We retired in March. It was freeing recently to get rid of the IT books. We still have tons of others. DH has the largest quantity of literature. I have a thing for how-to's of every kind (especially cookbooks, gardening, home improvement, dog training) as well us understanding people/society (history, biography, women's issues). We're in the process of a complete home remodel, and during this, have to move things from a room being worked on to a room not being worked on from time to time. This was the real tipping point that caused us to purge the IT books. It was stronger than nostalgia.

Good luck.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I saw this thread on my phone, so the title was truncated as "Old IT Technical Manuals. Recycle or..."

My first thought was 'please tell me the missing word is "burn".

Old 09-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is it crazy that soo far in my entire 10 year IT career I have not had to purchase a manual? I am thinking as hard as I possibly can but I cannot recall actually having to pay for a physical book or manual...

I've read plenty of manuals, but I have never paid for dummies, 101s, how-tos or OS/Guides and manuals.

My dad has a bunch of manuals (Cisco) and a bunch of old server and pc hardware from the 90s he thinks he will sell on ebay some day. The funny thing is most of his equipment and books were aquired or paid for by the compnay. I can remmeber when they paid for my Microsoft Encarta CD that I used to help me with school projects as a kid. Loved Encarta!

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Is it crazy that soo far in my entire 10 year IT career I have not had to purchase a manual? I am thinking as hard as I possibly can but I cannot recall actually having to pay for a physical book or manual...

I've read plenty of manuals, but I have never paid for dummies, 101s, how-tos or OS/Guides and manuals.

Not at all, most of the manuals are online. Things have changed for the better in that respect.

In the old(diansour) days they(manuals) were precious. I remember paying $150 for one hardcopy. Everything in it referred the reader to Appenix B. There was no Appenix B. Complained after the second one arrived. They send an SE with the third, he watched as I unwrapped the precious document, no Appenix B. here either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app