Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old Watch...Am I Sitting on a Goldmine?
Old 06-11-2015, 08:06 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Old Watch...Am I Sitting on a Goldmine?

I got this sport solar watch that I really don't care much for, as the countdown time only counts down for 60 minutes, instead of some that go as long as 24 hours. Plus, the watch feels a bit bulky on my wrist.

So, I thought about dumping it on ebay. But I look at the prices this watch is selling for. What? I only bought the thing for about $60 and now the selling prices are crazy? Maybe there are Casio collectors out there.

Casio GW5600J Men's Wave Ceptor G Shock Atomic Tough Solar Black Resin Watch | eBay

https://www.google.com/search?q=CASI...37795183395686

The irony is there's a newer model, with a 24 hr countdown and stopwatch, for only about $90.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g-shock watch.jpg (56.3 KB, 6 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think I have one of those exact same model sitting in a box. I think I got as a megacorp trinket at some point in time. I didn't they were worth anything. It's been a long time since I wore a watch, but when I did it was one those cheap $5 ones that were at the walmart checkout lane.

Vintage computer parts are crazy too. A few years back I threw away an XT motherboard. I recently saw a complete XT system go on ebay for over$10k
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:36 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Of course, in the news is the woman to donated away one of the original Apple computers, that later sold for 200K. Lastest news is the place that got sold the Apple is trying to locate her to give her half the cut.

The Casio watch that I have. I really don't use it much. I pretty much stays on my nightstand each night in window range to sync up to the atomic clock in Colorado. Every so often, I set my other watch to the accurate time of this Casio.

Otherwise, a few times a month, my cats think the watch is a toy and knock it over .
Old 06-11-2015, 07:13 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Just crazy . As of today, his watch is selling for over $1000 at Amazon:

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Casio Men's GW5600J-1 G-Shock Atomic Tough Solar Watch
Old 06-11-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

If you look at the ones on ebay that have actually sold, I see prices from $66-$180.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:26 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudent_one View Post
If you look at the ones on ebay that have actually sold, I see prices from $66-$180.
Thanks. I didn't think to filter by looking at sold ones.

That makes more sense.

I've seen Amazon put ridiculously high prices on stuff before, so i suspect the same with the watch.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I've seen Amazon put ridiculously high prices on stuff before, so i suspect the same with the watch.
Oh, I dunno. Do you think $39,999.00 is high for a TV? After all, it does have free shipping.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Oh, I dunno. Do you think $39,999.00 is high for a TV? After all, it does have free shipping.
A dollar under 40K .
Old 06-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #9

Here are the same model watches that actually SOLD; had a buyer;
GW5600J | eBay

Highest price was $250, next highest was $180. Most are under $100

Just because a watch is listed for price, doesn't mean they are selling for that price.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Here are the same model watches that actually SOLD; had a buyer;
GW5600J | eBay

Highest price was $250, next highest was $180. Most are under $100

Just because a watch is listed for price, doesn't mean they are selling for that price.
Thanks. I'm still surprised they sell so well, considering I paid about $60 brand new a few years ago.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:35 PM   #11

I was helping my dad downsize for a move to an assisted living facility. He had several old calculators in the mix of stuff I posted on eBay. I listed everything individually for a starting price of a buck, no reserve and let the man with the most money own it.

There are enough bidders on eBay that watch for collectables, I wasn't worried I would miss a value and I would not have to do the research. He made a bunch on those calculators! Who'd a thunk? I ended up getting him over $13,000 for stuff I didn't think a thrift store would want.

Hope you get a good price for your watch if you do list and sell it!!
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
I was helping my dad downsize for a move to an assisted living facility. He had several old calculators in the mix of stuff I posted on eBay. I listed everything individually for a starting price of a buck, no reserve and let the man with the most money own it.

There are enough bidders on eBay that watch for collectables, I wasn't worried I would miss a value and I would not have to do the research. He made a bunch on those calculators! Who'd a thunk? I ended up getting him over $13,000 for stuff I didn't think a thrift store would want.

Hope you get a good price for your watch if you do list and sell it!!
That's why I usually do to. I just put down starting bid at 99 cents and then whatever happens happens. I have the buyers pay the shipping.

Originally, I'd be happy to have this watch sell for say $30 + shipping. But now, I don't know. I do have the original box and user guide. That may add an additional $50 to the sale.