Old wooden ships

ls99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Once upon a time there were wooden ships and iron men.....

From Gcaptain wedsite.

America's oldest wooden ship, still sailing.
PHOTOS: Historic Whaleship Charles W. Morgan Under Full Sail

By Mike Schuler On June 18, 2014

What a beauty! The 1841 whaleship Charles W. Morgan with sails set while in the midst of a historic voyage to New England ports.

That is very impressive even today - imagine how someone in the 1840's would feel, seeing that approach the dock?

-ERD50

Wooden ships are a sideline hobby...
Yesterday... a picture of the Charles Morgan headed from my old stomping grounds in Newport Rhode Island, to the hometown of one of my previous residences... Vineyard Haven/Tisbury Mass.

Whaling Ship Charles W. Morgan Sails to the Vineyard Today | The Vineyard Gazette - Martha's Vineyard News

Reminds me of the week that my best friend and I spent walking the wharfs at Newport in 1976, in July of 1976, 38 years ago, when the largest flotilla Parade of the Tall Ships came through. It was a different era. You could walk the piers and even be invited aboard many of the ships, that came from all over the world... including a Norwegian ship (I think) that was manned 100% by an all woman crew.

https://www.google.com/search?q=parade+of+ships+1976&newwindow=1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=BzijU_qwKZK0yASU-4HYDQ&ved=0CE0Q7Ak&biw=1310&bih=740

One of the most memorable weeks of my life. :)

BTW... Old Ironsides is pretty old too...

Last edited:
Last edited:
So many memories...
57 years ago, one of my fraternity brothers was selected to sail with Captain Villiers on the replica Mayflower II from England to the US... seasick the entire trip...
Mayflower II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mayflower II is a replica of the 17th-century ship Mayflower, celebrated for transporting the Pilgrims to the New World. The replica was built in Devon, England, during 1955–1956, in a collaboration between Englishman Warwick Charlton and Plimoth Plantation, an American museum. The work drew from reconstructed ship blueprints held by the American museum with hand construction by English shipbuilders' using traditional methods. On April 20, 1957, recreating the original voyage, Mayflower II was sailed across the Atlantic Ocean, under the command of Alan Villiers. According to the ship's log, Mayflower II was towed up the East River into New York City on Monday, July 1, 1957. Afterwards, Villiers and crew received a ticker-tape parade in New York City.

The ship is seaworthy and sailed to Providence, Rhode Island in 2002. In December 2012 the Mayflower II was towed to dry dock at Fairhaven Shipyard in Fairhaven, Mass for Coast Guard inspection as well as repairs. The repairs took longer than originally planned because unexpected damage was discovered during the inspection. Repairs were eventually completed and the Mayflower II returned to her berth in Plymouth, Massachusetts on August 7, 2013.

Attachments

• 450px-Plymouth_Mayflower_II.jpg
    450px-Plymouth_Mayflower_II.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1
Reminds me of the week that my best friend and I spent walking the wharfs at Newport in 1976, in July of 1976, 38 years ago, when the largest flotilla Parade of the Tall Ships came through. It was a different era. You could walk the piers and even be invited aboard many of the ships, that came from all over the world... including a Norwegian ship (I think) that was manned 100% by an all woman crew.

One of the most memorable weeks of my life. :)

It must give one chills seeing these ship sailing out of history, right at you.

The highlight of my one trip to the east coast was seeing the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides).

We have the Star of India in San Diego and other historical ships, including a Russian sub.

Long ago in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia saw the Bluenose fishing and racing schooner built in around 1921. It was one of the fastest for many years. I read it was dismantled and a replica built from the original plans.

By the way the Captain of the RV Vema, research ship I spent a bit of time on was from Luneneburg, on our return from the ice floes of the north Atlantic to NY, we docked in Halifax for a few days so he could show us around and visit his hometown.

Pic from wikipedia.

220px-The_Famous_Bluenose_%28Restored%29.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom