Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 02:54 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,988
I couldn't seem to get around the "running in software rendering mode" issue in Mint (even after downloading and installing the patch). Thus, the system is running soooooo slowly.

Puppy sounds like it would be a good fit for this aging ex-XP desktop.

Perhaps I shall go ahead and download it & install it.

omni
__________________

__________________
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 366
__________________

__________________
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rustic23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lake Livingston, Tx
Posts: 3,624
I think you think your machine is worse than it is. As I said, I installed Ubuntu 14.04 on an old HP Xp machine. It is similar to yours 160 gig HD and 2 gig of ram. It ran fine, in fact better than fine.
__________________
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I think you think your machine is worse than it is.
I have high hopes for it, though.

Seriously, it was acting quite sluggish for whatever reason with WinXP. The Linux Mint error message ("running in software rendering mode") states that it will cause the unit to run slowly. (And it does). And the downloaded patch didn't seem to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
As I said, I installed Ubuntu 14.04 on an old HP Xp machine. It is similar to yours 160 gig HD and 2 gig of ram. It ran fine, in fact better than fine.
I'm persistent (to some point)...and I have not yet given up.

This is as much a learning experience for me as it is getting some added life out of an aging computer (or three).

If nothing else, I can download these software and learn a bit about how they look and feel.

And I appreciate all of the assistance and suggestions I've received here.

omni
__________________
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I think you think your machine is worse than it is. As I said, I installed Ubuntu 14.04 on an old HP Xp machine. It is similar to yours 160 gig HD and 2 gig of ram. It ran fine, in fact better than fine.
Agreed. Although ziggy's suggestion for Puppy makes perfect sense for an even lower end machine (or for other reasons), I think you'll be fine with Xubuntu on this machine. You might find Puppy to be limiting (I really don't know, I never used it myself, but I'm making an educated guess that the 'lightness' comes at a cost of some features) - and that might give you a less than great feeling about Linux in general.

But if it is all in the spirit of learning, and you don't lose motivation, give 'em all a spin. All the 'flavors' have something to offer (or they would not exist!).

But again, my personal favorite... Get Xubuntu « Xubuntu

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kerrville,Tx
Posts: 2,710
Here is a link to a converstation about the topic on the mint forums: Linux Mint Forums • View topic - [Mint 15] Cinnamon running in software rendering mode
Towards the end they suggest applying all the pending updates that may exist, (depending on the maint rate and time since the cd image on the host computer) there could be a lot of them. If mint has apper go into apper and apply updates, and wait while the system downloads and installs the updates.
__________________
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:29 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Agreed. Although ziggy's suggestion for Puppy makes perfect sense for an even lower end machine (or for other reasons), I think you'll be fine with Xubuntu on this machine. You might find Puppy to be limiting (I really don't know, I never used it myself, but I'm making an educated guess that the 'lightness' comes at a cost of some features) - and that might give you a less than great feeling about Linux in general.

But if it is all in the spirit of learning, and you don't lose motivation, give 'em all a spin. All the 'flavors' have something to offer (or they would not exist!).

But again, my personal favorite... Get Xubuntu « Xubuntu

-ERD50
I am in the midst of installing Xunbuntu as I am typing this.

Quick Question -- how is it pronounced...is it like zoo-bun-two?

omni
__________________
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #68
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
I am in the midst of installing Xunbuntu as I am typing this.

Quick Question -- how is it pronounced...is it like zoo-bun-two?

omni
"Xubuntu (Pronounced: /z'bnt/)"
Xubuntu - Linux Wiki
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
I am in the midst of installing Xunbuntu as I am typing this.

Quick Question -- how is it pronounced...is it like zoo-bun-two?

omni
You're showing a lot of resilience and gumption, Omni. This is pretty much how things go in the sysadmin role. Having spare systems around is really like having a Frankenstein available. As you dig further into solutions, you learn more about this hardware than the average bear.
__________________
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,988
Xubuntu is now loaded along with a whole slew of software updates. And no error messages!

I am typing this on Ye Olde eMachine (which was far too sluggish in the past few days to even attempt such a feat).

I thought everything was going along great and had just written a nice post to that effect for this forum. Just when I hit the "submit reply" button, I got a "database error" message and my post "evaporated".

What I've since noticed -- some of the graphics on this forum are not showing up correctly -- like the small rectangles at the bottom of each post (such as Thanks, Quote, etc. ) are incomplete in some psots and complete in others. The Smilies menu looks great, but when I click on one to add it to a post, sometimes it shows up "blank". Very puzzling.

omni
__________________
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Xubuntu is now loaded along with a whole slew of software updates. And no error messages!

I am typing this on Ye Olde eMachine (which was far too sluggish in the past few days to even attempt such a feat).
Congrats, that's pretty cool!

Quote:
I thought everything was going along great and had just written a nice post to that effect for this forum. Just when I hit the "submit reply" button, I got a "database error" message and my post "evaporated".

What I've since noticed -- some of the graphics on this forum are not showing up correctly -- like the small rectangles at the bottom of each post (such as Thanks, Quote, etc. ) are incomplete in some posts and complete in others. The Smilies menu looks great, but when I click on one to add it to a post, sometimes it shows up "blank". Very puzzling.
That might not be a Xubuntu specific issue - I've seen it before on my old iMac, and clearing the browser cache cleaned it up. Not sure why anything in the browser cache would be corrupted at this point, but maybe the system is still 'breaking in'

FireFox is the default browser, right?

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets
Sirka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
As cheap as new computers are these days, it hardly seems worth the effort. Computers are getting so low in price that they are almost cheaper than toasters. Seriously, it is not worth the effort IMO.

Like you, in the past I have just removed the platters and beat them to death with a hammer. It's great therapy.
+1
I use a sledge hammer on the old drives (often 200 GB or less size) & take it all to the electronics recycling. Life is too short to spend on reloading OS & try to donate the old computer boxes.
LCD monitors are easy to reuse, though.
__________________
Hard to say what it was, when it isn't.
FIRED in 2005 @ 55
Sirka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirka View Post
...take it all to the electronics recycling. ... Life is too short to spend on reloading OS & try to donate the old computer boxes. ...
Sure, but even a good recycling process will end up with a lot in the landfill - and I've read about some horror stories about some of the recycling processes (kids in 3rd world countries, burning off insulation, breathing in toxic fumes, etc) . And if it can be used by someone else, isn't that a good thing?

And it really isn't much effort. The first time it may seem a bit intimidating, but once you've been through it, it's a cake-walk (usually). If not, little lost - there is little actual face-time, more time waiting for downloads and installs, which can be left unattended.

And, for some of us, it's a 'fun' challenge.

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #74
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Congrats, that's pretty cool!



That might not be a Xubuntu specific issue - I've seen it before on my old iMac, and clearing the browser cache cleaned it up. Not sure why anything in the browser cache would be corrupted at this point, but maybe the system is still 'breaking in'

FireFox is the default browser, right?

-ERD50
Thanks. I'm thrilled to have fotten this far. ANd spent the last hour making changes/additions per a Xubuntu tips and tricks list.

Q: There they referenced a list of known bugs. I scanned it and didn't recognize any immediate concerns, so I didn't do anything. Was that the appropriate (in)action?

Yes, it is FireFox. I found the "cache clearing" area and it is only using 19KB at present, so I'm thinking that might not be the issue.

omni
__________________
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #75
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kerrville,Tx
Posts: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Xubuntu is now loaded along with a whole slew of software updates. And no error messages!

I am typing this on Ye Olde eMachine (which was far too sluggish in the past few days to even attempt such a feat).

I thought everything was going along great and had just written a nice post to that effect for this forum. Just when I hit the "submit reply" button, I got a "database error" message and my post "evaporated".

What I've since noticed -- some of the graphics on this forum are not showing up correctly -- like the small rectangles at the bottom of each post (such as Thanks, Quote, etc. ) are incomplete in some psots and complete in others. The Smilies menu looks great, but when I click on one to add it to a post, sometimes it shows up "blank". Very puzzling.

omni
Just out of curiosity have you update firefox to 29.0? Often distributions come with firefox as of the date of the distribution, so you need to use the distros update mechanism to apply the fix (as well as likley to fix the heartbleed bug). Luckily its basically a matter of starting the app and waiting while everything is downloaded.
__________________
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #76
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Just out of curiosity have you update firefox to 29.0? Often distributions come with firefox as of the date of the distribution, so you need to use the distros update mechanism to apply the fix (as well as likley to fix the heartbleed bug). Luckily its basically a matter of starting the app and waiting while everything is downloaded.
I just checked and FireFox 29.0 is what came with the distribution.
__________________
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #77
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

Yes, it is FireFox. I found the "cache clearing" area and it is only using 19KB at present, so I'm thinking that might not be the issue.

omni
It's not about the size - occasionally something in the cache gets corrupted, and then when that item is called up, weird things happen.

I looked and my FF is 29.0 as well - I went to prefs/Advanced/Network/ and can clear the cache from there (it sounds like you found it, but just listing it to be sure).

BTW, I just had some database errors while trying to post, so I think there may be some glitches at er.org, or in some server in-between.



Quote:
Thanks. I'm thrilled to have gotten this far. ANd spent the last hour making changes/additions per a Xubuntu tips and tricks list.

Q: There they referenced a list of known bugs. I scanned it and didn't recognize any immediate concerns, so I didn't do anything. Was that the appropriate (in)action?
It's up to you, but when I look at bug lists I usually see a bunch of really arcane things that wouldn't affect me. So I usually take a 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' approach. Works for me.

This thread has inspired me - I will try to make some time 'soon' to post a video of how I arranged my Xubuntu desktop. With some of the recent complaints about Win8/8.1, I think it might open a few eyes for people who would never think of installing Linux, and have never seen a Linux desktop. Xubuntu is really configurable, I've got my desktop tweaked the way I like it, two panels of 'plugins' (weather, clock, CPU/Memory monitor, directory access, app menus, a clipboard manager - a life-saver!, alarm clock/timer, screen capture app, and a few things to easily manage multiple 'virtual desktops - AKA 'WorkSpaces') and it was all point and click stuff, nothing really 'techy' at all.

I'll be curious of your impressions after you've had a chance to play with this a while (assuming your browser issue is fixed). Heck, at this rate, we may have you setting up your new computer as a dual-boot Win/Linux soon

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #78
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
This thread has inspired me - I will try to make some time 'soon' to post a video of how I arranged my Xubuntu desktop. With some of the recent complaints about Win8/8.1, I think it might open a few eyes for people who would never think of installing Linux, and have never seen a Linux desktop. Xubuntu is really configurable, I've got my desktop tweaked the way I like it, two panels of 'plugins' (weather, clock, CPU/Memory monitor, directory access, app menus, a clipboard manager - a life-saver!, alarm clock/timer, screen capture app, and a few things to easily manage multiple 'virtual desktops - AKA 'WorkSpaces') and it was all point and click stuff, nothing really 'techy' at all.

I'll be curious of your impressions after you've had a chance to play with this a while (assuming your browser issue is fixed). Heck, at this rate, we may have you setting up your new computer as a dual-boot Win/Linux soon

-ERD50

FWIW, I'd love to see how you've got your desktop set up.

I read about some people having both Win & Linux on the same 'puter. What would be the purpose for doing that?

omni
__________________
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

I read about some people having both Win & Linux on the same 'puter. What would be the purpose for doing that?

omni
I have XP Pro and Mint on my old desktop (which I custom built years ago but is still pretty powerful and snappy). There are a few business programs I can only run in Windows (specifically XP or in compatibility mode in Win7). So I keep the XP alive (for now). When I am goofing around the 'net, I use Mint.
__________________
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #80
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

I read about some people having both Win & Linux on the same 'puter. What would be the purpose for doing that?

omni
As aja8888 said, some people need access to a programs that just haven't been ported to Linux, and maybe there is no suitable equivalent. For gamers that's a big deal, for many, it really is never, or almost never, an issue.

I think the only time I used Windows on my old laptop was to try to update the firmware in a very old DVD burner - that .exe file just wouldn't seem to run under WINE (which lets you run some Windows programs).

I did do a parallel install on my new laptop, but mainly because it was really convoluted to try to figure out how to make Windows restore disks - I wanted to be able to restore it if I had warranty issues. I haven't actually used Windows on this new one, other than to see what the W8.1 'haters' were talking about - yes, it's a mess (IMO).


Quote:
FWIW, I'd love to see how you've got your desktop set up.
OK, I will get to it, but don't hold your breath!

I can't wait to finally use that 'Add Video' button that gets in the way of every...single...post.... [/satire]

-ERD50
__________________

__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pad, Netbook, or Laptop? TromboneAl Other topics 213 01-10-2012 01:36 PM
Need a netbook/tablet pc and wifi access....help! thefed Other topics 29 07-24-2010 12:03 PM
Anybody have a netbook clifp Other topics 88 12-27-2009 09:39 PM
Using an Old Laptop bongo2 Other topics 5 12-05-2005 12:43 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.