Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2009, 08:37 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In my day as an engineer in the management sector(1965-1988), it was strictly white shirt and tie. About 1976 some styles started to change and I started to wear a light blue shirt and whatever tie. I was told about it by our Personnel Director. Strictly white!! Couple weeks later the President of the company came for a visit and he was wearing a blue shirt. I was grinning from ear to ear. That was the end of the strictly white era. Nothing else was ever said. But, I have the dark blue blazers that have been around for eons, dress loafers for shoes that I bought in 1998. Oxford cloth button down white shirts and you
are good to go. Mens dress clothes don't change much. Just the casual stuff. The days of the super dress are gone. Stick pin collors, cuff links, vests with watch fobs, Floreshime Imperial wing-tip shoes,....a bygone era.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
So, tell me why the age of your suits and jackets isn't 20+year? Is it because you can't fit in them anymore?
Yeah, I packed on too much chest & shoulder muscle...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:23 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
So, tell me why the age of your suits and jackets isn't 20+year? Is it because you can't fit in them anymore?
To tell the truth, any of my suits would probably be a 'bit' snug now as they are, indeed in the 20 to 25 year old range. Having said that, I gave them all away (ties too) over a year ago. Hope to never wear a suit and tie again - not even to my cremation!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This was a tough one for me. I lost 45 lbs in 2004, so a lot of my older clothes have been given away. I found this picture taken at Woodstock 1999. I still have the straw hat. I wear it when I go to the lake to chill out or play in my garden. That hat has also been to Alaska (98) and Greece (96). It will be going to Europe this summer on the cruise.

The background stage deco is none other than Peter Max art printed on mesh fabric.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wstock-headpetermax.jpg (64.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #45

Ancient black leather jacket. 15 year old karate club tee shirt.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Yeah, I packed on too much chest & shoulder muscle...

Me too, and stomach muscle.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

25 years ago I played competitive softball with a team of other good players. We won a lot of championship shirts -I once counted 19. I loved those shirts and still wear many of them today. I've had to throw away a couple because I wore them out. I never could get that 20th shirt - always a frustration!
Old 03-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I decided the oldest clothing items I have are neckties. I have a few really wide ones dating back into the 70s. But I never wear any, except to the occasional funeral or wedding. And then I try to wear ones that don't make me look like Sonny Bono.

I also have a jacket from my Wu Shu Academy days in the mid 80s. I still wear it occasionally, but seldom in public. DW hates it.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:23 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Old silk neckties are excellent fodder for fiber art. Send them all to me!

I'm sure some on the forum can think of other ways to use them
Old 03-25-2009, 07:58 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Old silk neckties are excellent fodder for fiber art. Send them all to me!

I'm sure some on the forum can think of other ways to use them
I keep all of my old neckties for an ugly tie contest. I'm sure I have a few winners. At least according to DW.

If you throw them in a pile and have the cat play with them for a while, would that be fiber art?

Tags
clothing, old clothes