Join Early Retirement Today

Oldest Clothing You Still Wear Where People Can See You
Old 03-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oldest Clothing You Still Wear Where People Can See You

What is the oldest clothing you still wear to public places? (I'm not talking about the 40-year-old T-shirt that belonged to your dad and you wear it when you're painting the bathroom).

On Tuesday, I wore my green suit to work that I only wear on or around St. Patrick's Day (yes, I'm Irish-American and you may kiss me). This suit was first worn in 1986.

I realized that I have quite a few items in my closet from the mid to late 80's and early 90's (my Brooks Bros phase). All are classics, that still look good on a now middle-aged woman; no weird overpadded shoulders or super-short skirts.

Then I realized, I still wear a few tops from the late 1970's. One is a wine-colored long-sleeved blouse of some synthetic fabric with gold threads all through it, from India. It's light, cool, and I love the color.

The pencil-skirts are long gone (I'm not built like a pencil any more) but there is still an amazing amount I can wear comfortably.

Well, I thought these must be the oldest still-being-worn-out-where-people-can-see-them clothes in the world, until retired husband pointed out that he has been going to the store while wearing some bell-bottomed jeans from 1971 - of course they are all the rage, now.

What great old clothes do you still wear?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, I am no longer 95 pounds. I ditched almost all the old stuff except for a few treasures, like my "Women's Legal Terrorist Society and Birthday Club" t-shirt.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I routinely wore military uniforms older than our daughter.

I knew it was time to retire when some of them were older than the sailors...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I wear a sport jacket handwoven in the Shetland Isles that I bought in 1958. Still looks good.

I am not sure these can even be bought any longer.

Ha
Old 03-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Unfortunately, I am no longer 95 pounds. I ditched almost all the old stuff except for a few treasures, like my "Women's Legal Terrorist Society and Birthday Club" t-shirt.
I had a T shirt that said "Women's Terrorist Society and Sewing Circle". I would still wear it if I could fit into it.

Oldest article of clothing that I wear is a Liz Claiborne hoodie that I have had at least 18 years. It is grey in color and I bought it off a clearance rack. I wear it almost every week during the winter months.. It's very soft and comfy and is great to throw on with a T and jeans.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I really don't have any old clothing either. The oldest item I still wear from time to time is a pair of western boots I bought circa 1984.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Its not clothing but I still use a purse that my brother brought me from Nigeria when he was in the peace corps in the 60's.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Really old pocket watch myself. T shirts and jeans never go out of style
Old 03-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #9

I have a lined jeans jacket that I bought from the JC Pennys catalog for $12 in 1976. It is definitely threadbare in spots, but for yard work and oil changes it's still good. If I'm too lazy to change I'll wear it to the mall.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I really don't have any old clothing either. The oldest item I still wear from time to time is a pair of western boots I bought circa 1984.
Ditto on the boots, but mine are Dingo harness boots from the '80s. I still love those boots.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #11

I have no idea how old most of my clothes are. Figure about a year or so plus however old they were when I bought them at GW or SA.

Gave away most of mainland clothes except some fav T-shirts which are still in storage - early '80s or so. I'll be bringing them home next trip to mainland. I'll wear them interchangeably with the "new" stuff I wear now. Heh, heh.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Really old pocket watch myself. T shirts and jeans never go out of style
I don't 'wear' it often, but I have a pocket watch my GGF brought from UK when he came here in 1830. Still works too.

I still wear my (circa 1980) "Republic of Western Canada" T-shirt if I'm going somewhere where it may offend someone. Part of the offence is the message and part is the condition of the shirt and what's under it.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:34 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a blue/green/plaid Pendleton sport coat that my wife gave me in 1966 when we were juniors in high school. I now get it out every Christmas and wear it for the Holidays. Still looks good and fits.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I routinely wore military uniforms older than our daughter.

I knew it was time to retire when some of them were older than the sailors...
First, I'm impressed you can still fit into them. If I tried to fit into my AF uniforms, I would look like the mailman just before the end of his shift. Except for the $900 mandatory dress whites (1979$) that I wore one time before they were forbidden. With those I would look like the Good Humor man just before the end of his shift.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:29 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Circa 1975:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0829b.jpg (141.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-21-2009, 08:36 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

DW buys vintage clothing and shoes from the 30's and 40's and wears them out and to her social events.

She even speaks with a heavy brooklyn accent reminiscent of the films of that era.

Ok youse guys, "make it snappy" "shake a leg" "gwannnn, beat it, or I'll clock ya"

jug
Old 03-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
First, I'm impressed you can still fit into them. If I tried to fit into my AF uniforms, I would look like the mailman just before the end of his shift. Except for the $900 mandatory dress whites (1979$) that I wore one time before they were forbidden. With those I would look like the Good Humor man just before the end of his shift.
Thanks, but my ponytail doesn't exactly conform to the male version of the uniform regs.

ER means I can't blame my physical condition on my employment workload, so now I'm in the best shape of my life. A lot less stress-induced snarfing of comfort food, too. My painter's submarine coveralls fit more loosely than I ever remember.

Some of my uniforms are living through the next generation, especially the oddball ones like the bridge coat and the dinner dress whites. Our swords will stay in their display cases until they become our heir's problem, unless she wants to borrow one of ours instead of buying her own.

Spouse claims that she retired from the Reserves last December because she didn't want to have to buy the Navy's new utilities. Again. For the fourth or fifth time...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I wear a sport jacket handwoven in the Shetland Isles that I bought in 1958. Still looks good.

Mr. Ha, so far you are the clear winner...but you couldn't have been out of high school in '58...how many teenagers went around buying hand-woven jackets?

I don't 'wear' it often, but I have a pocket watch my GGF brought from UK when he came here in 1830. Still works too.

Cool! I think antique watches may rank as bling, rather than clothing, though.

DW buys vintage clothing and shoes from the 30's and 40's and wears them out and to her social events.

also tres cool...wish we could see a picture of your hot tomato with her gams showing
Old 03-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I have a waterproof bomber jacket from Aquascutum that I bought in London in 1974. It has a wonderful check lining, no loose threads, the zipper still works, and it looks great. I regularly wear it in Spring and Fall.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Remember that I gained and then lost 80+ pounds.

A shearling coat from '77, acid washed jeans from '87, full length winter coat from '80, various other stuff from '77-'82.

Tags
clothing, old clothes