Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Dick Fosbury invented the Fosbury flop. I ran the 400 and 800 in college, also high jumped. I actually got to run an open 400 at the Drake Relays, got killed by the field, but set a PR of my own.

If I had Olympic talent, definitely track and field.........
I just remembered, back in the 50's I think everything in this country was still done in yards instead of meters in track and field. Somewhere along the line it changed to meters. Don't know when that was or how it came about. Like I said, I'm dating myself by still talking "440 yards". My fraternity brother that got me to enter those meets held the high jump record in New York state at the time and I believe it was 6'5".
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
"World's fastest man" has a nice sound to it.
That's not what she said.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
I just remembered, back in the 50's I think everything in this country was still done in yards instead of meters in track and field. Somewhere along the line it changed to meters. Don't know when that was or how it came about. Like I said, I'm dating myself by still talking "440 yards". My fraternity brother that got me to enter those meets held the high jump record in New York state at the time and I believe it was 6'5".
Not sure if it was nationwide, but as a HS freshman in 1977 Iowa we ran in yards, and in 1978 it was all meters.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36
Not sure if it was nationwide, but as a HS freshman in 1977 Iowa we ran in yards, and in 1978 it was all meters.
Wasn't so hard to do on the track, or in measuring height etc., because it was just a measurement conversion or moving the start finish line, but a little different in the swimming pool. Except for Yale, which had a movable bulkhead in their practice pool, all older US pools were built in yards measurements. This turned records upside down, as more turns (time) were involved. (to tell the truth, it's the only reason I held the national record... it was a transition year, and many schools were swimming the metric races.) '57 - '58.

One of the interesting things about then versus now, that had to do with records... was that the rules changed during the years. Many things... starting blocks, requirement for touching (with hands) the ends during turns, and swim suits, as well as straight wall sides versus "no-wave" water levels, and relaxed rules for strokes.

Many of us trained in the same regimen as is being used by today's swimmers.... off season strength training, interval training, stroke analysis, turn techniques, and video (8mm camera) analysis. Most school didn't adopt much of this until the mid 1960's.

As you watch swimming, look at the waves piled up by the swimmers. The old pool design built up much higher (higher resistance) waves.

I notice different techniques in many track events, as well as changes in equipment in events that use tools... rifles, bows and arrows, footgear, track surfaces, lighting, etc.

Always interesting to watch national and international records fall, but good to note that it isn't always because of a better gene pool, or stronger athletes. Of course doubling or tripling populations also provide more candidates.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:08 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
If you could be an Olympian what sport would you be in? You do not have to be qualified just dream .I will go first . In the summer Olympics I would be a swimmer and in the winter Olympics Luge would be my sport .How about You ?

What a great question. In the summer Olympics I'd say it is a toss up between diving (not that can manage anything beyond a regular dive) and sailing. Again not that I have any real skill.

Although after watching this video of the US swim team doing a music video. My god isn't this a fabulously good look bunch of young men and woman, I think diving would have the nod.

In the winter, Biathlon would my top choice. Skiing and shooting how fun.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #26
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
(snip) ...who think I'm totally nuts. Ran 28 miles last week.
Yes, you are ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Disclaimer: that 28 miles in the hills was on 5 separate runs. I always total my mileage for the week with a goal of 20 per week. 28 miles in one run -- not that crazy.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #28

Great thread! It got me to thinking that in my estimation, the purest form of olympic sports is track and field. Not a historian but I believe this is how it all got started. Not that I don't watch or like the other sports but you can't keep me away from the T & F, the basis of olympic sports, running, jumping, hurdles, high jump, long jump,pole vault, discus, etc. Also, I've grown to love gymnastics.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Whatever would make me the most money in endorsements.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #30
Gone but not forgotten

Thanks everybody ! I guess a lot of us are Olympic dreamers ! I was surprised to see how close some of our members came to the actual experience .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #31
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Whatever would make me the most money in endorsements.

I know it should be but I do not think beer drinking is an Olympic sport yet but if it was I am sure you would win !
Old 07-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

My Olympic Dreams are centered on those Women's Beach Volleyball stars (Go Kerri & Misty!) - I thought the Aussies might beat them, but they pulled it out!

Google Image Result for http://i2.listal.com/image/1641401/600full-misty-may--treanor.jpg

and that hurdle girl someone posted earlier.

Sweet Dreams.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #33

My dream would not include the chance to stay in one of these rooms at the Olympic village. Yuk.

Comfy, colorful private digs and common areas send a winning design message to Olympic athletes in London

Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #34
Administrator

As long as we're dreaming, making the games about competition between amateurs would be fun.

I'd also like to see a medal count, not by country of citizenship, but instead by country where the primary training takes place. Other options would be where athletes grew up, or where they spend most of their time playing and competing.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I know it should be but I do not think beer drinking is an Olympic sport yet but if it was I am sure you would win !
Possible.

Here's a commercial that would fit me. Just substitute a med for the choc donuts.

About John Belushi's Little Chocolate Donuts | ifood.tv
Old 07-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Winter - Figure Skating, solo and couples dance routines. I used to figure skate several times a week on the pond near my childhood home, from about the age of 5. In teenage years, every Friday night was skating night at the local indoor rink. I practiced and mastered skating forward and turning backwards in full stride, cross stepping, a stationary spin (3x was my best), and could skate along on 1 leg with the other leg held 90 degrees behind me. Like all girls my age, I had dreams of taking skating lessons. Family finances were nowhere possible for anything like that. I continued to skate until I went to college.

Summer - Archery. I have a keen eye and of course understand the physics of the sport. I play the virtual archery game within the Sports Champions game on my PS3. I'm getting pretty good at it.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Grew up swimming (since we lived at a lake) or playing tennis (since we had a tennis court) so either one would be fun. Winter olympics would probably be cross-country skiing since I love spending hours outdoors in the winter.
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Summer Olympics - - unfortunately body surfing is not an Olympic event. So, I'd choose running in the 100m, or even better, the same with hurdles.

Winter Olympics - - figure skating.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
. I used to figure skate several times a week on the pond near my childhood home, from about the age of 5. .

I also grew up skating at a local pond . It was great . All the girls would try figure skating and the boys would play hockey . We skated for hours . Winter is really fun when you are a kid !
Old 07-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Sailing or volleyball for summer. Alpine skiing or ice hockey for winter.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote