Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I used to figure skate several times a week on the pond near my childhood home, from about the age of 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I also grew up skating at a local pond . It was great . All the girls would try figure skating and the boys would play hockey . We skated for hours . Winter is really fun when you are a kid !
Every winter the Park District plowed and flooded a large rink at a nearby park. I probably just forget the intermittent thaws that interrupted our fun but it seemed like we were able to skate from December through February/early March. Hockey and some kind of skating free for all where the "it" guy in the middle had to catch and tag someone coming across a no man's land to pass "it" on. Can't remember what that was called - some variation of red rover
__________________

__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,885
My olympic dreams would either be track and field. Something special about considered the fastest man alive. Either that or table tennis as it cracks me up seeing the ball ping pong ball going 100mph and the players standing so far back from the table.
__________________

__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,094
Ski jumping. I was fortunate enough to get tickets to see the event in person in the 98 Nagano Olympics and found it fascinating.
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,424
I went to the men's downhill in Lake Placid in 1980 and also had tickets for the men's ski jumping later in the games, but I fell sick and sold my tickets to a friend. IIRC the men's ski jumping was about the same time that the USA men's hockey team was playing the USSR so they hung around Lake Placid and enjoyed the excitement (while I was sick in bed watching it on TV).

BTW, while the pomp and pageantry of attending an Olympic games is fun, I can't recommend the men's downhill. You trudge your butt up the mountain to a suitable spot to view the race and then do a "hear they come...there they go" for a couple hours as you see each competitor for all of 20 seconds or so as they wiz by. Much better to watch it on TV where they cover the whole course.
__________________
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
BTW, while the pomp and pageantry of attending an Olympic games is fun, I can't recommend the men's downhill. You trudge your butt up the mountain to a suitable spot to view the race and then do a "hear they come...there they go" for a couple hours as you see each competitor for all of 20 seconds or so as they wiz by. Much better to watch it on TV where they cover the whole course.
+1

I think that was one of the things I enjoyed about ski-jumping - you can see the entire event from one spot. We also saw speed skating, hockey, men's moguls and women's figure skating (DW insisted ). You can see all of those from one spot as well but none of them compared to watching someone launching off a huge ramp and flying hundreds of feet through the air on a pair of skis...
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,373
How is it that now the Olympians' swimsuits cover more of their bodies while most of the other sports' uniforms cover a lot less? Crazy times.
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #47
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I went to the men's downhill in Lake Placid in 1980 and also had tickets for the men's ski jumping later in the games, but I fell sick and sold my tickets to a friend. IIRC the men's ski jumping was about the same time that the USA men's hockey team was playing the USSR so they hung around Lake Placid and enjoyed the excitement (while I was sick in bed watching it on TV).

BTW, while the pomp and pageantry of attending an Olympic games is fun, I can't recommend the men's downhill. You trudge your butt up the mountain to a suitable spot to view the race and then do a "hear they come...there they go" for a couple hours as you see each competitor for all of 20 seconds or so as they wiz by. Much better to watch it on TV where they cover the whole course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

I think that was one of the things I enjoyed about ski-jumping - you can see the entire event from one spot. We also saw speed skating, hockey, men's moguls and women's figure skating (DW insisted ). You can see all of those from one spot as well but none of them compared to watching someone launching off a huge ramp and flying hundreds of feet through the air on a pair of skis...
I couldn't get to see ski jump - too many people (Calgary). I could say I saw luge, but it would be a misrepresentation - but I did hear it, lots of noise combined with an occasional blur. Kinda like downhill with a lower see/hear ratio.Didn't matter though. Just being there was the most amazing experience.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Peru
Posts: 4,616
Re: Placid 1980...
Was my stomping ground. Mirror lake was home to me when I was on the road. Used to hang out at the bar in Saranac, with old timers who were on the bobsled team for the 1932 Olympics... (they settled in Lake Placid).
The Adirondaks is my personal Nirvana.

My sons went to Whiteface on a regular basis for skiing. Bride and self come back from Chicago for the '80 Olympics, but never made it... My best friend, camping/canoeing/climbing partner for years, was dying, and we stayed in Saratoga through the week, so we watched Olympics on TV in his hospital room.

Sorry.. off topic, but ya can't stop memories...
__________________

__________________
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:30 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.