Join Early Retirement Today

Olympic dreams ?
Old 07-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Olympic dreams ?

If you could be an Olympian what sport would you be in? You do not have to be qualified just dream .I will go first . In the summer Olympics I would be a swimmer and in the winter Olympics Luge would be my sport .How about You ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Basketball. Since if I was good enough to play for the Olympics I would probably be pro. I could have retired earlier. Got nothing for the Winter except maybe curling. Luge scares the hell out of me ha..
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Notmuchlonger has the smart answer, to compete where you could make an extremely good living as well. But as far as personal interests, no doubt the marathon for me. In fact, I was in the same race as the fastest marathon ever run, Boston 2011.

Downhill skiing or giant slalom in the Winter games.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Downhill skiing for the Winter Olympics. Diving for the summer olympics.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Oh, and I've also skied the Olympic downhill course at Snowbasin, Utah. The women's course (Wildflower) wasn't easy but didn't scare me. The men's course (Grizzly) was steep steep steep. Even groomed and with no jumps I was skidding through big S turns to check my speed and a couple times just stayed in a turn to slow way down when I freaked out at my speed. They now leave the bottom bumped up a lot so for a skier like me you really have to pick your way down and it takes awhile.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Downhill and biking. Is windsurfing still in the line up? If so that too.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

I'll watch Swimming...
Brings back memories...some a little sad...
Last year in HS, was recruited by Yoshi Oyakawa and Kerry Donovanto visit Yale, and stayed in Bob Kiputh's apartment and worked out with the Yale swim team over my Christmas Vacation. Kiputh was coach for four Olympics I think, and had the best won-loss record in US history at Yale.
After visits to Harvard, and 5 Ivy schools, chose my Maine alma mater.
Simple times then. No such thing as a athletic scholarship, and had to keep a B avg. to keep the scholarship received.
Oyakawa won the 1952 Olympics, and I never swam him in competition.
Was a few seconds too slow for the 56 Olympics. By the 60 Olympics, was out of school and into the Army at Benning.
The off-year olympic equivalent in those days was the Pan Am Games... The winner of the 58 games was Frank Mckinney,(100m bckstroke) who was my chief competitor. Will never know how we would have made out... we were pretty even in times.

Frank was second in the '60 Olympics.

Problem for me, being, that '57 Jr. year, slipped to a B- avg. and lost a semester scholarship, and had to work during the summer to pay my tuition... $$400... or half of the yearly tuition. (lifeguard @ $.75/hr.)

In 1957, I held the national record for the 100yd. B.S... (the last year it was an official race. ), and found out that I still hold the record in the Old MIT pool... (or so my brother told me), as well as several NEAAU and National HighSchool AAU records. #1 in 1954.

Would have been nice to have an Olympic medal.

Memories....
So much for my last ego trip... After I realize what I've done, will come back and delete this, but dontcha know, everyone needs a little picker-upper once in a while.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

My only luge experience was as a kid we used to go down the Steepest hill in town on our sleds backwards so we steered with our feet . If you missed the turn off at the bottom you were on a busy street with cars whizzing at you .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
Administrator

Skeleton in the Winter Olympics (I prefer headfirst).

Modern pentathlon in the Summer Olympics
Old 07-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Gymnastics. I'll never forget Nadia!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #11

100 meter dash. "World's fastest man" has a nice sound to it.

Any event that's over in the first few days of the two-week schedule. I'm picturing myself as a young, talented celebrity athlete during a 14-day party - on somebody else's nickel.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I'll take a shot at anything that requires a remote control...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Water polo. Or field hockey. Or both!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #14

When in college, a fraternity brother got me to enter some trach and field events at what we called intermurals between fraternities. No official college team. He thought I could run pretty good. Well, I just think he wanted to make sure there someone in the field he could beat. I couldn't hold a candle to any of those guys. Their speed facinated me so I always wanted to be a better runner. I ran the 220 and 440. Always thought the 440 was the toughest of all. I think I got lapped by a couple guys. I also liked to watch the high jump and the various methods guys used to reach those heights. Wasn't there a guy that jumped with a style called "the Fosberry flop" or something like that? I'm dating myself.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
If you could be an Olympian what sport would you be in? You do not have to be qualified just dream .I will go first . In the summer Olympics I would be a swimmer and in the winter Olympics Luge would be my sport .How about You ?
Marathoner - use to run a lot and always was either beating Rogers or Shorter or coming into the Olympic Stadium and taking that final lap...
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #16

I second the skeleton for the Winter Olympics.. i've seen it first hand and it is take your breathe away fast and scary.
Probably mountain biking for the Summer Olympics. It's something I actually do and it would be nice to be world calibre at it instead of sucking at it.. )
Old 07-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'm 6'6" and thin so basketball or high jump sound like good choices for me. Winter Olymipcs would require being outside in the cold with snow and ice. Sounds more like an Olympic Nightmare. No winter Olympics for me. I don't even like watching it.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
If you could be an Olympian what sport would you be in? You do not have to be qualified just dream
I'm in training right now for the 2016 Olympics. I go outside my backgate and run in the hills. My only competitors are the deer in the hills who think I'm totally nuts. Ran 28 miles last week.

If I don't make it into the 2016, then I'll go for 2020. My events will be running the 800m, 1500m, 5000m, and 10000m. If I had to do one it would be the 5000m.

Do they have a 68 year old category for 2016?

Where is my coffee?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
When in college, a fraternity brother got me to enter some trach and field events at what we called intermurals between fraternities. No official college team. He thought I could run pretty good. Well, I just think he wanted to make sure there someone in the field he could beat. I couldn't hold a candle to any of those guys. Their speed facinated me so I always wanted to be a better runner. I ran the 220 and 440. Always thought the 440 was the toughest of all. I think I got lapped by a couple guys. I also liked to watch the high jump and the various methods guys used to reach those heights. Wasn't there a guy that jumped with a style called "the Fosberry flop" or something like that? I'm dating myself.
Dick Fosbury invented the Fosbury flop. I ran the 400 and 800 in college, also high jumped. I actually got to run an open 400 at the Drake Relays, got killed by the field, but set a PR of my own.

If I had Olympic talent, definitely track and field.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Summer Olympics Rugby (though I will have to wait until 2016)
Winter Olympics Biathlon
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote