Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Speedo just dropped sponsorship of Lochte.
I'd rather that Speedo drop Lochte than have Lochte drop Speedo.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 10:05 AM   #202
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It's a shame that the games are now over and interest (yours and mine) about what may have happened over a week ago has dwindled. Let's just keep this thread in mind in case there is a thread within which folks again start reacting to comments they don't like in the same way.

Having said that, I read a news article this morning that highlighted another example of the misguided priority on sports as news... how some really terrible things that went on within Brazil itself over the last day were completely drowned out of even Brazilian news by news of the soccer gold medal. And in another article I read this morning, there was a Brazilian quoted expressing heartbreaking fear about how, with the games now over, she will lose the temporary sense of safety she's enjoyed. Of course, what we don't know is how will the cost of the games affect Rio going forward, making her fear all the more troubling.

The good news is that the biggest concerns about Rio - how rapaciously it used public funds desperately needed not just to relieve remarkable economic injustice but to establish some semblance of law and order as well - won't be of concern for the next Olympics in Japan. We can sit back and enjoy the distraction in relative comfort that the host nation didn't bite off more than reasonable prudence would dictate.

You have to look at it in the light of the common people... because it even happens here...

Murder is common in Rio.... it probably does not even make the news unless it is horrific... you could put a story on the news every day...

This is the FIRST time in history that Brazil has won the gold medal... like it or not, that is news... also, there is no way they can win it again until 4 years have passed... someone getting murdered... that will happen tomorrow...

Old 08-22-2016, 10:11 AM   #203
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
I'm thinking Lochte can get work promoting rehab centers, things of that sort.

BTW, that is the one step Lochte hasn't done yet to get societal forgiveness: got to rehab.

My question would be.... does he need rehab

If there is not a history of him getting drunk or drugs (I have NO idea) and this is a one off.... then rehab will not do anything IMO...

The one thing that I disagree with is the people who say this is a 'youthful indiscretion'..... REALLY? He is in his 30s... I think you should be an adult by that age....

If he really wants to 'make it right', he should pay that other swimmers fine AND go down to Brazil and do some community service... for him that would probably only be a few appearances here and there and maybe be in a swim meet or two... I think this would go a long way in fixing the problem that he has....
Old 08-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #204
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

bfd, the dude got trashed, happens

rehab? that's funny

really bad decision in a third world country though, really bad
Old 08-22-2016, 10:17 AM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

If there is not a history of him getting drunk or drugs (I have NO idea) and this is a one off.... then rehab will not do anything IMO...

The one thing that I disagree with is the people who say this is a 'youthful indiscretion'..... REALLY? He is in his 30s... I think you should be an adult by that age....

I think he has been a party animal for quite some time. Perhaps he can gain more fame, or should I say infamy, if he starts hanging out with Justin Beiber.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:22 AM   #206

Quote:

The rehab is not for him, it's for his image. That's what all the celebs do when their image is a little tarnished. It has nothing to do with whether the individual actually needs rehab

BTW, the Swimmers in this incident are fortunate they did not get shot. I'm glad they didn't. I know several places in the USA where they would have been shot right away.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #207
Give me a forum ...

Though I don't condone vandalism and over exaggerations, gotta feel for the swimmers when they really really had to go but the bathroom was locked.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #208
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Rehab is just part of the prescribed ritual when public figures embarrass themselves these days. It's just a PR step, not necessarily intended to produce a change in behavior. His agent will recommend it.

Quote:
If he really wants to 'make it right', he should pay that other swimmers fine AND go down to Brazil and do some community service... for him that would probably only be a few appearances here and there and maybe be in a swim meet or two... I think this would go a long way in fixing the problem that he has...
Probably more trouble than it would be worth. He's not particularly popular down there right now, and protecting him would be a hassle. Plus, unless he devotes a lot of sweat to the project (i.e. six months setting up a swim program in a favella), it will be rightly seen as a stunt.
Since he's gonna give an exclusive interview or write a book to give his side, flail himself, and provide mea culpas, I'd prefer that he just donate every nickel of the proceeds from those efforts to worthwhile causes in Brazil. And then, most importantly, be a positive example going forward.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:41 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
FWIW, I think any discussions about the games, readiness, financials and the like were/are fair game... including crime visited on the athletes.... I simply objected to trying to steer the discussion to the overall social ills of the host country.
Or basically shame people who wanted to talk about the competition itself in light of the social ills of the country. Don't think I commented on those specific posts, but I definitely read them and thought that I was essentially being scolded (too strong a word and not personally) for caring about something as petty as Olympic competition when the country of Brazil itself was a mess.

I probably read the wrong tone into the posts, but my perception of them was not as "polite" as buu thought they were.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:51 PM   #210

This is the interwebs, and it is easy to read some snark or hidden meaning or intent that really isn't there. That's less of a problem for us at E Forum - we're among friends.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This is the interwebs, and it is easy to read some snark or hidden meaning or intent that really isn't there. That's less of a problem for us at E Forum - we're among friends.
Agreed! That's why I refrained from comment (I think?). Other forums I read I have a tendency to assume a fight is being picked. I don't have that here, and I like that and hope to keep it that way!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:58 PM   #212
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
....I think in a discussion about the Olympics we should be discussing the crime visited on athletes and spectators, and the conditions of the residents of Rio, and the impact on the economy for decades to come, more so than the "games", but if no one else finds that stuff important enough then so be it. I concede to the majority's force of will.
Quote:
It's a shame that the games are now over and interest (yours and mine) about what may have happened over a week ago has dwindled. Let's just keep this thread in mind in case there is a thread within which folks again start reacting to comments they don't like in the same way.

Having said that, I read a news article this morning that highlighted another example of the misguided priority on sports as news... how some really terrible things that went on within Brazil itself over the last day were completely drowned out of even Brazilian news by news of the soccer gold medal. And in another article I read this morning, there was a Brazilian quoted expressing heartbreaking fear about how, with the games now over, she will lose the temporary sense of safety she's enjoyed. Of course, what we don't know is how will the cost of the games affect Rio going forward, making her fear all the more troubling.

The good news is that the biggest concerns about Rio - how rapaciously it used public funds desperately needed not just to relieve remarkable economic injustice but to establish some semblance of law and order as well - won't be of concern for the next Olympics in Japan. We can sit back and enjoy the distraction in relative comfort that the host nation didn't bite off more than reasonable prudence would dictate.
Changed your mind I guess?
Old 08-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #213
Recycles dryer sheets

Today's NYTimes has what seems to be a balanced article today saying that although there has been much criticism in Brazil concerning the Olympics, Rio will nonetheless benefit long-term from numerous infrastructure improvements and revitalization done in conjunction with the Olympics:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/22/wo...T.nav=top-news
Old 08-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #214

Quote:
The rehab is not for him, it's for his image. That's what all the celebs do when their image is a little tarnished. It has nothing to do with whether the individual actually needs rehab

BTW, the Swimmers in this incident are fortunate they did not get shot. I'm glad they didn't. I know several places in the USA where they would have been shot right away.
Where, specifically, for being drunk and causing a bit of damage? And by security guards?
Old 08-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Where, specifically, for being drunk and causing a bit of damage? And by security guards?
Houston, Texas for one - several years ago a drunk Irishman (maybe he was a Scot) was pounding on doors near the galleria area and was killed. terrible

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/01/21/us...not-drunk.html
Old 08-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #216

Uh, we're getting a bit off topic here..
Old 08-22-2016, 03:50 PM   #217

regarding the upcoming winter olympics, how does one pronounce the name of the town the in which games will be held?
Old 08-22-2016, 03:56 PM   #218

Quote:
regarding the upcoming winter olympics, how does one pronounce the name of the town the in which games will be held?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:09 AM   #219

Quote:
Changed your mind I guess?
You missed this:
Quote:
Well, I will now say that this thread had gone both ways... at first it did seem to be only about the sports... but as you say it has now turned into a discussion about was it robbery or not...

So, post away....
Old 08-23-2016, 05:55 AM   #220
Give me a forum ...

Whether it was robbery or not fall into the category of things that happened to the Olympic athletes, which you will see that in a prior post (below) I said that I thought was fair game... so posts on the competition or what happened to athletes or even fans is fair game... what I was referring to was bUU expanding the scope of the thread to Brazil's social ills.

Quote:
FWIW, I think any discussions about the games, readiness, financials and the like were/are fair game... including crime visited on the athletes.... I simply objected to trying to steer the discussion to the overall social ills of the host country.