Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-31-2016, 06:59 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Watched it as a kid. Jim McKay, up close and personal and all that. Mesmerized. Today, not so much.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 07:04 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Women's beach volleyball should be "extra good" in Rio -

Old 07-31-2016, 07:37 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nope, just not very interested anymore.
1) (I hate to admit it but) the end of the Cold War did take some to the drama out of the games for me, and lowered the stakes. Definitely this is an overall "good news" item, but still . . .
2) The steroid stuff is just too much. Clean athletes can hardly compete in many events, and we don't find out until years later that the winners were on the juice.

I don't know why, but the winter games now capture my interest more than the summer games.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I don't know why, but the winter games now capture my interest more than the summer games.
I find this as well. And it isn't just that Canada tends to do better from a medal point of view at the Winter Games.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:34 AM   #25

We'll record the opening and closing ceremonies, and watch them as background noise during dinner when we have nothing to talk about. If I don't want a sport for three years, it seems pretty pointless to feign interest in the fourth year. Meanwhile, international pageantry and national cultural pride are things I find myself interested in all through.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:59 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Though we like the Winter editions more than Summer, we really enjoy the Olympics, so we'll watch as much as we can. Just hope Rio doesn't embarrass themselves and/or spoil the competition. I follow sailing in particular and that venue is a complete abomination...all countries should have refused to participate, but no chance that would happen.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:37 AM   #27

I will watch plenty.

I think a lot of the disinterest is because we don't have context. Many of us have never done a winter biathlon, or any kind of gymnastics, for example. Or maybe your biking and swimming was never timed, and you never ran any kind of race, even a simple 5k. But if you have context, you see just how amazing these athletes are. And of course, some events transcend personal context. I think figure skating is one, where artistry and physicality come together.

I have context with: swimming, running, biking and volleyball. When I see the times, or plays in the case of vball, I just can't believe it.

I once was a swimming official for a warm up event to Olympic qualifying. Being there on the deck, I was just completely blown away by the achievements I saw.

However, if I watch rowing, I fall asleep. I don't understand what the accomplishment is. No context. I didn't go to Ivy League schools. Yet I'm sure a bunch of Ivy League alumni can't wait to see the rowing. Etc...
Old 08-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Nope, just not very interested anymore.

1) (I hate to admit it but) the end of the Cold War did take some to the drama out of the games for me, and lowered the stakes. Definitely this is an overall "good news" item, but still . . .
2) The steroid stuff is just too much. Clean athletes can hardly compete in many events, and we don't find out until years later that the winners were on the juice.

Yes... same here. Winter games are much more enjoyable these days. With all the doping and cheating and IOC corruption, the summer games have become a very sordid spectacle, IMHO. But even still, I'll probably give in and watch some soccer and volleyball, maybe a little track and field, but that's about it.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #29

I will watch the women's soccer matches and maybe the marathon events.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-01-2016, 11:09 AM   #30

Will probably watch a good bit of it. Having spent career in water resources, find the pollution aspects and athlete exposure pretty amazing. Given the exposure one would expect I'd be amazed if there isn't reporting of a good bit of illness. Hope not for the athletes, but expect it.

Standing back a bit, I've gotten pretty damn cynical about Olympics, World Cup etc. The corruption and doping just makes it all a bit hard to commit to for me. Yes, I know there are clean athletes who work their hearts out, but the cloud makes it hard for me to see through.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #31

This is what the average American Olympic athlete looks like, collectively and broken down by sport -

The Average American Athlete
Old 08-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
This is what the average American Olympic athlete looks like, collectively and broken down by sport -

Cool link, thanks!

Despite all the criticism surrounding the organization (much of which is well-earned) I think the Olympic competitions are a lot of fun and will watch. Most of the athletes are true amateurs and obviously so happy to be there that their joy is contagious. It's a great time to be retired, eh.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post

So the average American athlete is blurry? Interesting. At first I thought I had misplaced my glasses.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:50 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
So the average American athlete is blurry? Interesting. At first I thought I had misplaced my glasses.

Not sure about the athletes, but some of the spectators might be...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
So the average American athlete is blurry?
On a good day.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
We'll record the opening and closing ceremonies, and watch them as background noise during dinner when we have nothing to talk about. If I don't want a sport for three years, it seems pretty pointless to feign interest in the fourth year. Meanwhile, international pageantry and national cultural pride are things I find myself interested in all through.
Reminds me of a substitute teaching gig during the Winter Olympics one year (1992?) Students BEGGED me to let them watch a hockey game that was being aired during the school day. They all swore that they were HUGE hockey fans. So I said, "Sure, if any of you can explain 'icing' to me we'll watch the game." ...crickets... So we went on with the lesson plan for the day.

OP - no, I probably won't watch any of the events. I'll probably check up on the golf results, but won't bother to watch.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:39 AM   #37

I've lost interest in most of the competitions where the results are determined my judges. Don't trust any of them, have seen too many bad choices over the years.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #38

I enjoy seeing the variety of sports out there that we really only get to see every four years. In the summer, things like shooting (I'm not a gun fan but love to watch the precision of the shooting), gymnastics (I prefer the men to the women but watch both), rowing, kayaking, fencing, etc. Winter I enjoy the sleds, cross-country skiing, biathlon (more shooting), etc.

And I'll watch some soccer and track & field. Maybe some basketball.
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:28 PM   #39

I enjoy the Olympics. I don't watch continuously but I try to catch some of my favorites. Gymnastics and swimming are my favorites
Old 08-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Last games, I accidentally happened upon men's beach volleyball...what's with that?
Women have equal rights these day.
Now you have something to aspire towards fitness wise.