Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-02-2016, 06:54 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The IOC corruption is the biggest issue to me. Much bigger than doping or cheating that rules and enforcement can address to equalize the playing field.
But to know some bureaucrat is getting tons of money and benefits - to pick some country is outrageous.
I'm not sure why but it upsets me enough I would happily vote for the death penalty for such IOC bureaucrat and of course the briber individual.

So it has killed the excitement of the Olympics I used to feel, before I knew the about the payoffs.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Olympics anyone?
Old 08-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Olympics anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Now you have something to aspire towards fitness wise.

"I watch sports on TV for exercise. I'm really tired after a good game, aren't you?" - Galagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
The IOC corruption is the biggest issue to me. Much bigger than doping or cheating that rules and enforcement can address to equalize the playing field.
But to know some bureaucrat is getting tons of money and benefits - to pick some country is outrageous.
I'm not sure why but it upsets me enough I would happily vote for the death penalty for such IOC bureaucrat and of course the briber individual.

So it has killed the excitement of the Olympics I used to feel, before I knew the about the payoffs.

Being a practicing cynic/curmudgeon, I can confidently state that influence peddling, bribery, cheating, etc. was/is/forever more will be evident in many human interactions...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:52 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

No. Yawn.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:27 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Not really into it anymore. I still watch soccer despite FIFA but the Olympic committee and the rampant cheating has soured me on the Olympics.
Yes, I agree.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:35 AM   #45

The Olympics has became too big, has too many events which don't make sense, different sport has different rules on who can participate, too many athletes are doped out, too many athletes are recruited to play for another country, .............
Old 08-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Used to like watching them but there became just too many commercials and human interest stories and too little actual competition. Ruined it for me. Never watch anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-03-2016, 08:14 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Sure, we'll watch them if they're on when we're watching TV--we won't go out of our way to watch them. I really hate the melodramatic back stories we have to sit through--just show the events.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:28 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

I usually watch Swimming and Track & Field. Canadians are usually better at the Winter Olympics though.

That being said, I enjoy watching this CAD swimmer for the entertainment value alone at the beginning of each swim heat 😂. Whoever said Canadians are polite?! 😜

http://globalnews.ca/news/2874837/ri...re-every-race/

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #49

OK, I guess because I eat supper, it's pretty easy to watch the Olympics when they show them in the early evening.
So I have watched Phelps get his 20th gold medal and the US women gymnastics team do their stuff.
The actual events are pretty exciting.

The RIO Olympic calamities are astounding
- green swamp water anyone
- Folks being robbed, bus windows being broken, the un-readiness of RIO to host the games.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:45 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Sure, we'll watch them if they're on when we're watching TV--we won't go out of our way to watch them. I really hate the melodramatic back stories we have to sit through--just show the events.
Streaming FTW!

I've watched I'd guess at least six hours of competition every day since they started, almost all of it on a stream or replay where I could skip around to what I want to see. Being on the west coast, the primetime "live" coverage is tape delayed, so we're seeing stuff three hours after it happened. I watched the entire gymnastics team final in about an hour on the replay stream, instead of spread out from 8 until before midnight on primetime.

The other advantage of the streaming coverage is no back stories, straight competition. Definitely the way to go.

Yesterday alone, I watched two 7's rugby matches, the women's USA soccer match, the entire gymnastics team final, and all of the swimming finals and semi-finals in about five hours. Wife and I are sports geeks, but especially for the Olympics considering we are both "Olympic sport" athletes. (She is a retired gymnast, me triathlon and running).

NBC tailors their coverage for what they think women want, since by numbers women watch more Olympics than men do. And their 20-year-old research suggests that women WANT more of the backstories and less of the actual competition... hence why most of their coverage is advertising ($$$) and back stories. Pass.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:25 PM   #51

We use it to fall asleep. Works very well.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #52

I was watching weightlifting today followed by ping-pong. What a combination. Hard to believe Ping-Pong is an Olympic sport?
Old 08-10-2016, 08:41 PM   #53

I love ping-pong! It got really big late 60's. One guy smashing and the other guy way back there returning...

It's like tennis court distance across a table -
Old 08-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I was watching weightlifting today followed by ping-pong. What a combination. Hard to believe Ping-Pong is an Olympic sport?
Wait until 2020 when they add baseball/softball, karate, skateboarding, climbing, surfing, and Pokemon GO.

https://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-app...mes-tokyo-2020

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:37 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I love ping-pong! It got really big late 60's. One guy smashing and the other guy way back there returning...

It's like tennis court distance across a table -
Darn. I missed the ping pong coverage. Watching them play is both amazing and funny.

Have been watching women's swimming and women's beach volleyball. I like seeing Katie Ledecky kick butt in the swimming and seeing how well the volleyball will be post Misty May Treanor. Haven't been too interested in gymnastics, more Phelps medals or women's soccer.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:41 AM   #56

We have had it on when we have gone to bed (DW likes the ambient light/sound of the TV) and I swear I think the only thing that we have seen is swimming!

It's all be quite boring, so it's makes falling asleep pretty easy.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:49 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

lol at the olympics. snooze fest
Old 08-11-2016, 07:59 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Darn. I missed the ping pong coverage. Watching them play is both amazing and funny.

Have been watching women's swimming and women's beach volleyball. I like seeing Katie Ledecky kick butt in the swimming and seeing how well the volleyball will be post Misty May Treanor. Haven't been too interested in gymnastics, more Phelps medals or women's soccer.
So, the cold weather forced the women's beach volleyball competitors to dress in full body-covering clothing. I understand the number of TV viewers was down more than 30%. That, and that awful green water.

Here's an Olympic rant by the WGN news team sports announcer that sums up the feelings many people have about the coverage. Pat Tomasulo’s ‘Olympics’ report includes R. Kelly lip sync, video of his HS wrestling career | WGN-TV

So far it's been very difficult to get complete summaries of all of the previous day's activities. It's not gonna change anytime soon, NBC has a contract to televise the Olympics through 2032.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:44 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
So, the cold weather forced the women's beach volleyball competitors to dress in full body-covering clothing. I understand the number of TV viewers was down more than 30%. That, and that awful green water.

Those who turned away because of attire missed a very good match last night. A pretty near upset. Oh, the USA team wasn't dressed in full body-covering .

Must have been quite chilly tough as I'd think after all the running and diving around, they can easily work up a good sweat.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:47 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Streaming FTW!
I have not had any luck finding any streaming services. What one(s) are you using?