Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
You must be a lot of fun at parties...
I've presented my perspectives on this respectfully. Can you please drown me out without getting rude?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2016, 09:17 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I've presented my perspectives on this respectfully. Can you please drown me out without getting rude?

Uh, that was an attempt at humor. If I was really trying to be rude, you'd know it...

As I tried to say, I appreciate your perspective, but there are always people suffering, and stuff is always happening, etc., but life would be pretty miserable if that was all we focused on.

Thankfully, no one is forcing anyone to watch the Olympics.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:28 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
For myself I am attempting to excel in 4 different disciplines; sitting, watching, eating and drinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Don't forget critiquing. That would be the full Modern Pentathlon.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:52 AM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When you look at how much emphasis people in our society are putting on these things happening versus other things happening - even things happening in Rio - it is inescapable that it is that definition that would apply. But you're beating a dead horse at this point.

Of course; it isn't the words that matter, though, but rather the focus. I think in a discussion about the Olympics we should be discussing the crime visited on athletes and spectators, and the conditions of the residents of Rio, and the impact on the economy for decades to come, more so than the "games", but if no one else finds that stuff important enough then so be it. I concede to the majority's force of will.

I would think any discussion of the crime and conditions in Rio should be in its own thread... you can start one... I will read it.... this one is about the games of the Olympics...
Old 08-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I concede to the majority's force of will.
Good move. Resistance is futile.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:56 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I would think any discussion of the crime and conditions in Rio should be in its own thread... you can start one... I will read it.... this one is about the games of the Olympics...
Seriously. My wife and I are Olympic die-hards, but have discussed amongst ourselves the continued lack of focus by NBC or really any major media source along with the USOC on the realities of Rio and the mind-boggling decision made to host the Games there.

But that's not stopping us from enjoying the competition and the feats competed by the amazing athletes down there who had nothing to do with those choices.

To belittle the competition because of the conditions of the city is unfair to the thousands of athletes who've dedicated their lives to achieving the heights of athletic competition and been lucky enough to find themselves on a team representing their countries. There, they can participate in goodwill towards other countries along with the competition and remind us that, as a popular ad running during prime time coverage says, "We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike."

So, to each their own, but to assume that everyone watching the competition is a mindless drone subject to the whims of NBC isn't a fair criticism... not at all.

Yesterday:
- Men's tennis final
- USA men's basketball
- All gymnastics event finals (M Floor and P horse, W vault and bars)
- Field hockey
- Track semis/finals in 400, 100
- Brazil soccer

Today, we'll be watching:
- Gymnastics event finals
- More track

I "lied" about triathlon. Women's is Saturday with Gwen Jorgensen. Again, every bit as dominant in her sport as Biles, Bolt and Phelps!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:00 PM   #147

Quote:
Of course; it isn't the words that matter, though, but rather the focus. I think in a discussion about the Olympics we should be discussing the crime visited on athletes and spectators, and the conditions of the residents of Rio, and the impact on the economy for decades to come, more so than the "games", but if no one else finds that stuff important enough then so be it. I concede to the majority's force of will.
You are right, I have really noticed the crime and have decided that Rio is not somewhere I want to visit.
If during the higher security of the Games, people are being robbed at gunpoint, knife point, etc, then imagine how much worse it must be when there are less police around.

I think the Games has been a real negative for Rio tourism futures.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
DW and I have been really enjoying the Olympics. At least these days the folks who are not interested have many other TV channels to watch.

For myself I am attempting to excel in 4 different disciplines; sitting, watching, eating and drinking.
I'm going for the gold in the all-around event of this sport. It will be a historical hysterical moment, for sure.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:24 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

In the Super Bowl there was "The Catch". Now in Olympics there is "The Dive" in women's track.

Quote:
In a desperate lunge at the finish line, Shaunae Miller of the Bahamas won the women’s 400 meters at the Rio Olympics on Monday night, defeating Allyson Felix of the United States.
Running in Lane 7 and leading down the stretch, Miller apparently could sense that Felix was closing fast on the inside. With four strides remaining, Miller began to dive toward the finish line like a runner trying to steal second base.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/15/sp...e-results.html

Now I can see baseball players diving into 1st base with the olympics as "proof" that technique works .
Old 08-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
In the Super Bowl there was "The Catch". Now in Olympics there is "The Dive" in women's track.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/15/sp...e-results.html

Now I can see baseball players diving into 1st base with the olympics as "proof" that technique works .
It looked to me like she was totally spent, and broke stride a couple steps from the finish, so a dive was at least as good as the fall that was going to happen anyway.

The "diving into 2nd base" analogy that that the NY Times (not you) used is flawed because people slide into bases mostly to quickly decelerate and not overrun the bag and be tagged out. They also do it to better avoid a tag.

For first base I don't think diving works well either, because you have to touch the base, not just break the plane like a finish line. Your feet at are already at ground level, so that's an efficient way to hit the base. Diving means you have to not only cover the ground horizontally, but vertically as well to get your hands to the ground, while decelerating. But you're probably right, people will point to that as "proof" whether it is or not.

That was a great race.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #151

Quote:

They dive into all the other bases, the only reason that they don't dive into first is that they don't have to maintain contact with the base.

I saw another 2 collisions in the women's 5k race today. One of them resulted in a stumble and recovery, the other in both women falling and being eliminated. This running thing can be really tough when there are a lot of runners.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:14 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They dive into all the other bases, the only reason that they don't dive into first is that they don't have to maintain contact with the base.

I saw another 2 collisions in the women's 5k race today. One of them resulted in a stumble and recovery, the other in both women falling and being eliminated. This running thing can be really tough when there are a lot of runners.
I think studies are shown that diving in 1st base isn't as quick at just running there. But perhaps that is assuming a person's body is upright with good footing.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #153

Quote:
I think studies are shown that diving in 1st base isn't as quick at just running there. But perhaps that is assuming a person's body is upright with good footing.
Exactly, I doubt they will change their tactics.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:48 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Bummer. US Women's beach volleyball lost to Brazil.

Match was lost after being up 18-16 in first set but couldn't close out. Brazil made some incredible dig shots.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:48 AM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.... I think in a discussion about the Olympics we should be discussing the crime visited on athletes and spectators, and the conditions of the residents of Rio, and the impact on the economy for decades to come, more so than the "games", but if no one else finds that stuff important enough then so be it. I concede to the majority's force of will.
It's about time.

Olympics is sport... this thread is on the Olympics... if we want to have a thread on Brazil's social ills then start another thread and we'll see how many posts that attracts.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:32 AM   #156

Quote:
I have seen some dives into first base, its quite rare, but has happened. When slides are initiated into the other bases, such slides are initiated well short of the base to avoid sliding past, with first base slides, the slide usually occurs closer to the base and that risks injury.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:16 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It's about time.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:51 PM   #158
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
The two women in the second instance (NZ & US) both protested because they were "tripped" The protests were allowed and they have been entered into the final.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
The two women in the second instance (NZ & US) both protested because they were "tripped" The protests were allowed and they have been entered into the final.
The way one of them, the American I think, was limping and wincing right after the fall, I'd be amazed if she could be ready to start without substantial painkillers, and without risking further, and serious, injury.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:32 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Womens' beach volleyball: revenge is sweet...

US beat the other Brazil team (who was ranked #1) to get the bronze. No way, should Walsh Jennings retire. She just had one bad match last night. Though 42 is a lot older than 38.