Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Just "Let it be"... Win 10.

It takes very little time (maybe not) to learn to navigate the new OS; but once you've got the hang of it, you'll have a better appreciation for the new kid on the block.
kneehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The exact same thing happened to DW yesterday and she was convinced she had accidentally triggered it. We only just moved into our new place in England and got internet connected on Friday and with the English style keyboard having keys in slightly different places she thought she had started the upgrade.

The good news is that the upgrade has worked well and she is sticking with W10.
Same with F. He was SO UPSET when he first called to tell me about it. I would have been too, had that happened to me. It's a dirty trick for Microsoft to just take over one's computer with no permission or warning like that. But, anyway, after it was done and he found that the upgrade worked well, he was fine with it and decided to stick with W10, too.

His rationale is that it actually works quite nicely; and also, that Microsoft is going to force us to use it eventually anyway, by phasing out support for earlier Windows versions. So, he might as well get it now, while it is free. He was happy to discover that all of his (weird, specialized, sometimes homebrew) programs work just fine with W10.

I'm not having to go through what in my opinion is a totally unacceptable power grab by Microsoft, because W10 was pre-installed in the computer that I purchased last summer. So, nothing has changed for me.

One warning I gave to him, and will pass along to anyone else who cares (probably nobody): Left click on the "Windows" icon on the left side of your toolbar, and select "Settings". Now, go through EVERY SINGLE SETTING to make sure that they are what you want. Specifically, look for permissions for ads, and for sending information to Microsoft, and make sure that everything possible is as tightened down as you wish. Also think twice before activating Cortana, or establishing a Microsoft account because you may have some privacy issues there as well. In general, Windows 10 defaults completely disregard privacy concerns in the opinions of some users (like me).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:35 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are two separate issues here for me:

1 - Does it work? That one is easy. It is being adopted rapidly (even without trickery) because it really is a good, stable release. I've had almost no problems with it on my laptop which was upgraded from Windows 8.1 (which I also didn't have problems with). So hate the trickery and pushy updates, but don't fear the experience afterwards. Most things will be fine. Having said that...

2 - Microsoft is doing a MAJOR shift in the way it does business. Think about it - when is the last time they ever put out an OS update that was free? I'm pretty sure the answer is NEVER. So why free now? The answer is - well, you're probably not gonna like it...

You will upgrade to Windows 10: Inside Microsoft's strong-arm upgrade tactics | PCWorld

Supposedly their initial target was 1 BILLION PC's running Windows 10 by summer of 2017. This is driving their aggressiveness.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
I dual boot most of my machines.... if msft messes up, Linux still works
Just set this up today. Actually, this weekend. Getting the Windows partitions shrunk and/or merged was a major pain. Getting the UEFI to allow me to select an OS on boot was another one. Typing this now from Firefox on Ubuntu MATE
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:38 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I am not saying it does not work, but that it is no longer in Firefox...

When it updated and I went into Firefox it said that there was a problem and I needed to 'refresh'.... so I refresh... now, the two adblock add ons that I had are no longer inside Firefox... so ads are now popping up...

There was a discussion on a better ad blocker than adblock as it has a white list of sites where they allow ads.... I do not want any if possible... I will have to search if nobody lets me know the name...

Again, this is directly related to having the OS changed... more work for me...
I think that might have been ublock.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:03 AM   #46

I gather this happens only to people who have signed up for the free upgrade but delayed implementation. If I haven't reserved a free upgrade am I affected by this?

The manufacturers of both of my computers said they were not going to upgrade the drivers to be compatible with W10 so they advised not installing it. How can MS install (without permission) W10 when there is (may be?) a driver problem with some computers?
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:40 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
Just set this up today. Actually, this weekend. Getting the Windows partitions shrunk and/or merged was a major pain. Getting the UEFI to allow me to select an OS on boot was another one. Typing this now from Firefox on Ubuntu MATE
I will be doing this on my rarely used office desk top this evening after happy hour. I have very little on that computer, so I think I am not going to even bother doing a partition. If it works out OK, then I will do this on our "main" desktop (not used often, but it's used more than the office one and has a lot more stuff on it I will need to move around).
Old 05-22-2016, 01:02 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

On my only machine running win7, yesterday evening went to MS website and initiated win10 upgrade. A few times I looked the process, it downloaded win 10, then the program spent maybe an hour updating the the downloads. This morning a screen was on with options to retain all settings or clean install, I selected retain all settings and file locations. After breakfest the upgrade was done. Initially the only change was requirement to login with username. Which I would have to do at normal bootup time. I had three logins on on win7, Admin, me, and a guest account for visitors.

After login with my previously set password, all my desktop looked the same with about thirty icons on it as win7, plus something called one drive, with a few new things added on the toolbar. Even my preveiously set denials of "call home" features were undisturbed. Firefox ans Thunderbird are working as before. Ublock was not disabled. A few incompatible programs were disabled but not deleted.

Went through the settings and got rid of some new games and drivel.

So far so good.

I have three other PCs runnning Linux. This was a sort of test before DW upgrdes her laptop since I am the hosehold help desk. Wanted to know of issues before her machine is upgraded in a few days.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think that might have been ublock.

Yes it is, Thanks!!!
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Hit by an unexpected Windows 10 upgrade? Here's how to recover | InfoWorld
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:51 PM   #51
Gone but not forgotten

Hard to teach an old dog, new tricks.

After 22 years of learning the windows file hierarchy, knowing where everything was located in the control panel, and having all of my settings for saving files etc,... the same on all five computers, Windows 10 introduces extra steps for things in the "library"... and One Drive, where I already us Google Drive, a sign into a Microsoft account, and Edge, (which I don't want), Cortana, which I wouldn't use, and a start up screen that obscures my very full desktop, with links that don't require scrolling or keying in the name of the program, (which I can't remember anyway),

So ya can't go back. Destined forever to larn stuff I don't want, need, or care about.. Dragged, kicking and screaming into the new... "easy to use" technology.

Which reminds me... When something goes wrong, and you are not sure how to fix it, have you ever, ever, ever, found that that little window that pops up, saying, "please wait while Microsoft checks for a solution"...
... that Microsoft has ever actually found the solution?? Has never happened with me. Usually, end up, after sending me to unreadable pages that I should check with a friend.

Found a 700 page book for $.50 at the Salvation Army Store... "Everything you need to know about Linux"... Too late for me... So the Windows 10 struggle continues... I'll do it, but I ain't gonna like it.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Hard to teach an old dog, new tricks.

Too late for me... So the Windows 10 struggle continues... I'll do it, but I ain't gonna like it.
You can turn off just about everything that MS is trying to force on you to get personal info with a diligent search and some help from the 'net. Then the thing kind of looks like Win 7.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:04 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I updated to Win 10 and really liked it, but my Lenovo laptop's audio no longer worked. I reverted back to factory settings and the audio came back, although some of my files were lost in the process.

I've been trying to figure out how to deal with the loss of audio compatibility, because I'd really like to upgrade: Do I un-install something? Install something new? Lenovo and Microsoft have been no help. Well...they pretend to help, but the helpers' communication skills are not exactly up to current standards. Meaning: I can't understand what the #$@! they are talking about. And I'm not exactly computer-illiterate.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:08 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I updated to Win 10 and really liked it, but my Lenovo laptop's audio no longer worked. I reverted back to factory settings and the audio came back, although some of my files were lost in the process.

I've been trying to figure out how to deal with the loss of audio compatibility, because I'd really like to upgrade: Do I un-install something? Install something new? Lenovo and Microsoft have been no help. Well...they pretend to help, but the helpers' communication skills are not exactly up to current standards. Meaning: I can't understand what the #$@! they are talking about. And I'm not exactly computer-illiterate.
As a first try, I would go to Lenovo's support site and see if they have the Windows 10 driver download for audio support for your laptop model. They may have an entire package of new drivers that will support Win 10 available for download.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I will try that - thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
As a first try, I would go to Lenovo's support site and see if they have the Windows 10 driver download for audio support for your laptop model. They may have an entire package of new drivers that will support Win 10 available for download.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
When something goes wrong, and you are not sure how to fix it ...
The best troubleshooting technique I know (aside from rebooting the machine) is this:
Whatever error message appears, I copy and paste it into a Google search. Normally, the fix will appear in the first page of results.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneehigh View Post
Just "Let it be"... Win 10.

It takes very little time (maybe not) to learn to navigate the new OS; but once you've got the hang of it, you'll have a better appreciation for the new kid on the block.
That's not the point. You may be okay with it, but not everyone wants their things changed without permission.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #58

"Good morning," says your Microsoft Home. "Overnight we moved your coffeemaker to a new location. We're certain you'll like where it is once you find it. We upgraded the coffeemaker too. Now it displays an ad when your coffee is ready. No, it's not compatible with the ground coffee you prefer, but, hey, the new way is so utterly wonderful you'll be thrilled to toss all that old coffee you bought last week.

"Along with the coffeemaker comes our new version of Bathroom too! Surely by now you've grown tired of the hot water control being on the left and the cold on the right (how boring!) so we're going to randomize them every day. For free! With our way you won't know what water temp you'll get in the shower, and won't that be an eye-opening way to start your day!

"Now when you flush your toilet, the contents will be sent to the recycler, which also handles your important documents. Be sure to empty it before it overflows, tee hee! Oops, we almost forgot to mention that before using your new toilet you must first enter a password. To obtain your password, which for security changes every hour, log into your Microsoft permissions account, enter your request, then wait for our reply. And have a nice day! We insist!"
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:29 PM   #59

Do external drives still look the same? Is there a "explorer" application to look at them or is there a new app that tries to make them cute and obscurely located?
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
Do external drives still look the same? Is there a "explorer" application to look at them or is there a new app that tries to make them cute and obscurely located?
Right click on the start menu and most of the legacy apps are listed ie control panel, file explorer, task manager etc.