OMG.... they changed my OS without permission!!!

Hard to teach an old dog, new tricks.

After 22 years of learning the windows file hierarchy, knowing where everything was located in the control panel, and having all of my settings for saving files etc,... the same on all five computers, Windows 10 introduces extra steps for things in the "library"... and One Drive, where I already us Google Drive, a sign into a Microsoft account, and Edge, (which I don't want), Cortana, which I wouldn't use, and a start up screen that obscures my very full desktop, with links that don't require scrolling or keying in the name of the program, (which I can't remember anyway), :(

So ya can't go back. Destined forever to larn stuff I don't want, need, or care about.. Dragged, kicking and screaming into the new... "easy to use" technology.

Which reminds me... When something goes wrong, and you are not sure how to fix it, have you ever, ever, ever, found that that little window that pops up, saying, "please wait while Microsoft checks for a solution"...
... that Microsoft has ever actually found the solution:confused::confused:?? Has never happened with me. Usually, end up, after sending me to unreadable pages that I should check with a friend. :confused:

Found a 700 page book for $.50 at the Salvation Army Store... "Everything you need to know about Linux"... Too late for me... So the Windows 10 struggle continues... I'll do it, but I ain't gonna like it. :nonono:

Hard to teach an old dog, new tricks.

Too late for me... So the Windows 10 struggle continues... I'll do it, but I ain't gonna like it. :nonono:

You can turn off just about everything that MS is trying to force on you to get personal info with a diligent search and some help from the 'net. Then the thing kind of looks like Win 7.

I updated to Win 10 and really liked it, but my Lenovo laptop's audio no longer worked. I reverted back to factory settings and the audio came back, although some of my files were lost in the process.

I've been trying to figure out how to deal with the loss of audio compatibility, because I'd really like to upgrade: Do I un-install something? Install something new? Lenovo and Microsoft have been no help. Well...they pretend to help, but the helpers' communication skills are not exactly up to current standards. Meaning: I can't understand what the #$@! they are talking about. And I'm not exactly computer-illiterate.

I updated to Win 10 and really liked it, but my Lenovo laptop's audio no longer worked. I reverted back to factory settings and the audio came back, although some of my files were lost in the process.

I've been trying to figure out how to deal with the loss of audio compatibility, because I'd really like to upgrade: Do I un-install something? Install something new? Lenovo and Microsoft have been no help. Well...they pretend to help, but the helpers' communication skills are not exactly up to current standards. Meaning: I can't understand what the #$@! they are talking about. And I'm not exactly computer-illiterate.

As a first try, I would go to Lenovo's support site and see if they have the Windows 10 driver download for audio support for your laptop model. They may have an entire package of new drivers that will support Win 10 available for download.

I will try that - thank you.

As a first try, I would go to Lenovo's support site and see if they have the Windows 10 driver download for audio support for your laptop model. They may have an entire package of new drivers that will support Win 10 available for download.

When something goes wrong, and you are not sure how to fix it ...

The best troubleshooting technique I know (aside from rebooting the machine) is this:
Whatever error message appears, I copy and paste it into a Google search. Normally, the fix will appear in the first page of results.

Just "Let it be"... Win 10.

It takes very little time (maybe not) to learn to navigate the new OS; but once you've got the hang of it, you'll have a better appreciation for the new kid on the block.

That's not the point. You may be okay with it, but not everyone wants their things changed without permission.

"Good morning," says your Microsoft Home. "Overnight we moved your coffeemaker to a new location. We're certain you'll like where it is once you find it. We upgraded the coffeemaker too. Now it displays an ad when your coffee is ready. No, it's not compatible with the ground coffee you prefer, but, hey, the new way is so utterly wonderful you'll be thrilled to toss all that old coffee you bought last week.

"Along with the coffeemaker comes our new version of Bathroom too! Surely by now you've grown tired of the hot water control being on the left and the cold on the right (how boring!) so we're going to randomize them every day. For free! With our way you won't know what water temp you'll get in the shower, and won't that be an eye-opening way to start your day!

"Now when you flush your toilet, the contents will be sent to the recycler, which also handles your important documents. Be sure to empty it before it overflows, tee hee! Oops, we almost forgot to mention that before using your new toilet you must first enter a password. To obtain your password, which for security changes every hour, log into your Microsoft permissions account, enter your request, then wait for our reply. And have a nice day! We insist!"

Last edited:
Do external drives still look the same? Is there a "explorer" application to look at them or is there a new app that tries to make them cute and obscurely located?

Do external drives still look the same? Is there a "explorer" application to look at them or is there a new app that tries to make them cute and obscurely located?

Right click on the start menu and most of the legacy apps are listed ie control panel, file explorer, task manager etc.

That's not the point. You may be okay with it, but not everyone wants their things changed without permission.

Precisely my view. I was auto-switched last night without my consent.

This may be a big part of the problem.

According to both the latest and the previous versions of the support document, the upgrade and its scheduled implementation is approved when the user either clicks the "OK" button or the "X" in the upper right corner of the notification.
"If you click on OK or on the red 'X', you're all set for the upgrade and there is nothing further to do," the document stated. The "X" Microsoft mentioned is one way to close a window in Windows.

But Microsoft's interpretation of clicking the X is contrary to decades of practice in windowed user interfaces (UIs) and normal user expectations: To users, shutting a window by clicking the X tells the OS to remove the notification or application frame without expressing an opinion, selecting an option or calling up an operation.

Instead, Microsoft equates closing the window with approving the scheduled upgrade.

This may be a big part of the problem.

Yep... they got me on this....

I had closed all the other notifications with the X... heck, I do not remember there being a "NO" option.... but there could have been....

BTW, they also change my video to a smaller screen (something like 1280 x 800... something close to that).... now my screen looks 'strange' to me as I did not have that as my option... I have change it to something else, but it is still not what I had... Heck, they probably do not have what I had and now the screen will looked stretched to me....

I am sure I will eventually get used to it.... but I REALLY liked the look that I had previously....

I'm happy with Win 10 with Classic Shell added on. Then again, I chose to update and didn't have that snuck up on me.

ROFL...and just for fun, "We're writing to let you know that we've reduced your free Microsoft Toilet storage capacity by two-thirds. Also, we no longer support Toilet Roll. You can have the same capacity you've always enjoyed for a small charge of just $19.95 per month."

"Good morning," says your Microsoft Home. "Overnight we moved your coffeemaker to a new location. We're certain you'll like where it is once you find it. We upgraded the coffeemaker too. Now it displays an ad when your coffee is ready. No, it's not compatible with the ground coffee you prefer, but, hey, the new way is so utterly wonderful you'll be thrilled to toss all that old coffee you bought last week.

"Along with the coffeemaker comes our new version of Bathroom too! Surely by now you've grown tired of the hot water control being on the left and the cold on the right (how boring!) so we're going to randomize them every day. For free! With our way you won't know what water temp you'll get in the shower, and won't that be an eye-opening way to start your day!

"Now when you flush your toilet, the contents will be sent to the recycler, which also handles your important documents. Be sure to empty it before it overflows, tee hee! Oops, we almost forgot to mention that before using your new toilet you must first enter a password. To obtain your password, which for security changes every hour, log into your Microsoft permissions account, enter your request, then wait for our reply. And have a nice day! We insist!"

DH upgraded to Windows 10 with no problems; I can navigate through it after a short learning curve.

On another board, though, one poster is locked out of her computer because the upgrade was pushed to her computer without her knowledge and it's requesting a Facial Recognition login- which she never set up. So far no one has been able to help her although one posted the Q to a good tech support board and sent her the link.

I already had my PC set so that I had to install updates myself but have been doing that when prompted, assuming they're mostly security patches- and they have been. I just changed my settings with help from a comment in the PC World article to keep Windows 10 from being pushed this way. Here's the quote. My system menu didn't specifically list Windows 10 but it did list "Microsoft Products" so I unchecked that.

Quick, under Windows Updates Settings - Uncheck "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" Then under listed as now optional updates - Uncheck "Upgrade to Windows 10..." Turn off Automatic Updates and use a third party tool called Portable Update instead.

My friend, who is not at all computer-savvy, told me that the other day he sat down to his machine and found it already in the process of installing Windows 10. He saw no way to halt the process, so he let it complete and then got a final chance to "agree" with the upgrade. He clicked the "No" button and was told it would reverse the whole thing and uninstall 10.

After a long period of meshing and grinding gears, it said the process was complete. Fine, except that it killed his internet connection and he couldn't get online.

Nothing to do at that point but call the local Geek Squad for help.

Just to be clear, I have never found a Windows version that I didn't like better than the previous version. Nevertheless, the nay-sayers do, indeed, have a point:

Microsoft is Using Social Engineering to Get You to Install Windows 10, and How to Stop it

At the end of the day, upgrading to Windows 10 is a personal decision, it is your computer, you bought it, and know what does and doesn’t work on it.
We have covered various solutions for preventing the auto upgrade; the easiest one so far is Never10 app by Steve Gibson. Even Microsoft’s maze approach to canceling the upgrade can be quite complicated and confusing.
There is some good news with all of this, though. If you’re able to hold off the Windows 10 upgrade until July 29th, Microsoft is canceling the automatic upgrade practice. After that time, the Windows 10 upgrade will no longer be free, and you’ll need to purchase it.

Just to be clear, I have never found a Windows version that I didn't like better than the previous version. Nevertheless, the nay-sayers do, indeed, have a point:

Microsoft is Using Social Engineering to Get You to Install Windows 10, and How to Stop it

I find it just odd for a major corporation to give you something for free, then all but physically *force* you to take it, for free, and then turn around and cut off the free period. It seems like they are trying to use a deadline to artifically create scarcity, for a FREE product. It only makes sense if they have hidden monetization goals...

I find it just odd for a major corporation to give you something for free, then all but physically *force* you to take it, for free, and then turn around and cut off the free period.

Any discussion of corporate strategy/tactics is way above my pay grade. <chuckle>

The manufacturers of both of my computers said they were not going to upgrade the drivers to be compatible with W10 so they advised not installing it.

How can MS install (without permission) W10 when there is (may be?) a driver problem with some computers?

Hey, that's your problem, not theirs. :facepalm:

It may force you to go out to buy new hardware, thereby stimulating the economy. :cool:

Just to be clear, I have never found a Windows version that I didn't like better than the previous version.

Two questions. Did you upgrade to Vista? And you actually liked that better than XP? If so, your opinion on this topic is disqualified, IMO. [just kidding]

There are two aspects of the Win10 upgrade. First is the usability . I haven't switched, so I can't speak to that. It might just kick ass. But the second aspect is the Orwellian takeover of what should be your property, both physical and intellectual. That's why people are objecting. Well, that and the incredibly stupid methods MS has used to get people to upgrade. Even if Win10 was the greatest thing since OS/2, the clumsy and intrusive implementation would be a deal breaker for me. I've got Win7 on this laptop, and the hardware won't last until 2020 when the extended support ends, so I'm not changing it. Therefore I don't care if they actually start charging for the upgrade. Although I don't believe they actually will.

With all the controversy over Win10 I took the initiative to give Ubuntu a test drive by installing it on an old laptop. I'm still in the evaluation process but so far I like it. Might be a reasonable alternative to the Google and Microsoft big brother operating systems.

Quick diversion, then back to the original topic:
With all the controversy over Win10 I took the initiative to give Ubuntu a test drive by installing it on an old laptop. I'm still in the evaluation process but so far I like it. Might be a reasonable alternative to the Google and Microsoft big brother operating systems.

You might prefer the Xubuntu 'flavor' of Ubuntu. It is I think, closer to the earlier look and feel of Windows, the style that people were trying to revert back to when Windows (8 was it?) came out? Ubuntu now includes the "Unity" desktop, a more graphical way to get around, and I didn't care for it, but am very, very pleased with Xubuntu. Very easy to configure for the way you like to work. Maybe some day I'll actually post a video I made, touring my set up, and how I configured it the way I like - no terminal commands, only takes a few minutes to do (once you've been through it and figured out what you want).

Others like the Mint, MATE or Cinnamon versions, I have not played with those in a while.

Now, back to forced Windows upgrades.... :greetings10:

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom