Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
That's not the point. You may be okay with it, but not everyone wants their things changed without permission.
Precisely my view. I was auto-switched last night without my consent.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This may be a big part of the problem.

Quote:
According to both the latest and the previous versions of the support document, the upgrade and its scheduled implementation is approved when the user either clicks the "OK" button or the "X" in the upper right corner of the notification.
"If you click on OK or on the red 'X', you're all set for the upgrade and there is nothing further to do," the document stated. The "X" Microsoft mentioned is one way to close a window in Windows.

But Microsoft's interpretation of clicking the X is contrary to decades of practice in windowed user interfaces (UIs) and normal user expectations: To users, shutting a window by clicking the X tells the OS to remove the notification or application frame without expressing an opinion, selecting an option or calling up an operation.

Instead, Microsoft equates closing the window with approving the scheduled upgrade.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:22 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
This may be a big part of the problem.

Yep... they got me on this....

I had closed all the other notifications with the X... heck, I do not remember there being a "NO" option.... but there could have been....

BTW, they also change my video to a smaller screen (something like 1280 x 800... something close to that).... now my screen looks 'strange' to me as I did not have that as my option... I have change it to something else, but it is still not what I had... Heck, they probably do not have what I had and now the screen will looked stretched to me....

I am sure I will eventually get used to it.... but I REALLY liked the look that I had previously....
Old 05-24-2016, 06:30 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I'm happy with Win 10 with Classic Shell added on. Then again, I chose to update and didn't have that snuck up on me.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:55 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

ROFL...and just for fun, "We're writing to let you know that we've reduced your free Microsoft Toilet storage capacity by two-thirds. Also, we no longer support Toilet Roll. You can have the same capacity you've always enjoyed for a small charge of just $19.95 per month."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
"Good morning," says your Microsoft Home. "Overnight we moved your coffeemaker to a new location. We're certain you'll like where it is once you find it. We upgraded the coffeemaker too. Now it displays an ad when your coffee is ready. No, it's not compatible with the ground coffee you prefer, but, hey, the new way is so utterly wonderful you'll be thrilled to toss all that old coffee you bought last week.

"Along with the coffeemaker comes our new version of Bathroom too! Surely by now you've grown tired of the hot water control being on the left and the cold on the right (how boring!) so we're going to randomize them every day. For free! With our way you won't know what water temp you'll get in the shower, and won't that be an eye-opening way to start your day!

"Now when you flush your toilet, the contents will be sent to the recycler, which also handles your important documents. Be sure to empty it before it overflows, tee hee! Oops, we almost forgot to mention that before using your new toilet you must first enter a password. To obtain your password, which for security changes every hour, log into your Microsoft permissions account, enter your request, then wait for our reply. And have a nice day! We insist!"
Old 05-24-2016, 08:09 AM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH upgraded to Windows 10 with no problems; I can navigate through it after a short learning curve.

On another board, though, one poster is locked out of her computer because the upgrade was pushed to her computer without her knowledge and it's requesting a Facial Recognition login- which she never set up. So far no one has been able to help her although one posted the Q to a good tech support board and sent her the link.

I already had my PC set so that I had to install updates myself but have been doing that when prompted, assuming they're mostly security patches- and they have been. I just changed my settings with help from a comment in the PC World article to keep Windows 10 from being pushed this way. Here's the quote. My system menu didn't specifically list Windows 10 but it did list "Microsoft Products" so I unchecked that.

Quote:
Quick, under Windows Updates Settings - Uncheck "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" Then under listed as now optional updates - Uncheck "Upgrade to Windows 10..." Turn off Automatic Updates and use a third party tool called Portable Update instead.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:40 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

My friend, who is not at all computer-savvy, told me that the other day he sat down to his machine and found it already in the process of installing Windows 10. He saw no way to halt the process, so he let it complete and then got a final chance to "agree" with the upgrade. He clicked the "No" button and was told it would reverse the whole thing and uninstall 10.

After a long period of meshing and grinding gears, it said the process was complete. Fine, except that it killed his internet connection and he couldn't get online.

Nothing to do at that point but call the local Geek Squad for help.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:52 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Just to be clear, I have never found a Windows version that I didn't like better than the previous version. Nevertheless, the nay-sayers do, indeed, have a point:

Microsoft is Using Social Engineering to Get You to Install Windows 10, and How to Stop it

Quote:
At the end of the day, upgrading to Windows 10 is a personal decision, it is your computer, you bought it, and know what does and doesn’t work on it.
Quote:
We have covered various solutions for preventing the auto upgrade; the easiest one so far is Never10 app by Steve Gibson. Even Microsoft’s maze approach to canceling the upgrade can be quite complicated and confusing.
Quote:
There is some good news with all of this, though. If you’re able to hold off the Windows 10 upgrade until July 29th, Microsoft is canceling the automatic upgrade practice. After that time, the Windows 10 upgrade will no longer be free, and you’ll need to purchase it.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:10 AM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Just to be clear, I have never found a Windows version that I didn't like better than the previous version. Nevertheless, the nay-sayers do, indeed, have a point:

Microsoft is Using Social Engineering to Get You to Install Windows 10, and How to Stop it
I find it just odd for a major corporation to give you something for free, then all but physically *force* you to take it, for free, and then turn around and cut off the free period. It seems like they are trying to use a deadline to artifically create scarcity, for a FREE product. It only makes sense if they have hidden monetization goals...
Old 05-25-2016, 05:49 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
I find it just odd for a major corporation to give you something for free, then all but physically *force* you to take it, for free, and then turn around and cut off the free period.
Any discussion of corporate strategy/tactics is way above my pay grade. <chuckle>
Old 05-25-2016, 05:54 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
uBlock Origin - runs as an add-on, even on mobile!
I've recently replaced it with uMatrix in Firefox. Does a lot of the things that 3-4 separate addons used to do, and reasonably responsively as well.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:02 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
The manufacturers of both of my computers said they were not going to upgrade the drivers to be compatible with W10 so they advised not installing it.

How can MS install (without permission) W10 when there is (may be?) a driver problem with some computers?
Hey, that's your problem, not theirs.

It may force you to go out to buy new hardware, thereby stimulating the economy.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:26 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just to be clear, I have never found a Windows version that I didn't like better than the previous version.
Two questions. Did you upgrade to Vista? And you actually liked that better than XP? If so, your opinion on this topic is disqualified, IMO. [just kidding]

There are two aspects of the Win10 upgrade. First is the usability . I haven't switched, so I can't speak to that. It might just kick ass. But the second aspect is the Orwellian takeover of what should be your property, both physical and intellectual. That's why people are objecting. Well, that and the incredibly stupid methods MS has used to get people to upgrade. Even if Win10 was the greatest thing since OS/2, the clumsy and intrusive implementation would be a deal breaker for me. I've got Win7 on this laptop, and the hardware won't last until 2020 when the extended support ends, so I'm not changing it. Therefore I don't care if they actually start charging for the upgrade. Although I don't believe they actually will.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:37 AM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

With all the controversy over Win10 I took the initiative to give Ubuntu a test drive by installing it on an old laptop. I'm still in the evaluation process but so far I like it. Might be a reasonable alternative to the Google and Microsoft big brother operating systems.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:45 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quick diversion, then back to the original topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
With all the controversy over Win10 I took the initiative to give Ubuntu a test drive by installing it on an old laptop. I'm still in the evaluation process but so far I like it. Might be a reasonable alternative to the Google and Microsoft big brother operating systems.
You might prefer the Xubuntu 'flavor' of Ubuntu. It is I think, closer to the earlier look and feel of Windows, the style that people were trying to revert back to when Windows (8 was it?) came out? Ubuntu now includes the "Unity" desktop, a more graphical way to get around, and I didn't care for it, but am very, very pleased with Xubuntu. Very easy to configure for the way you like to work. Maybe some day I'll actually post a video I made, touring my set up, and how I configured it the way I like - no terminal commands, only takes a few minutes to do (once you've been through it and figured out what you want).

Others like the Mint, MATE or Cinnamon versions, I have not played with those in a while.

Now, back to forced Windows upgrades....

-ERD50
Old 05-25-2016, 09:35 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Two questions. Did you upgrade to Vista? And you actually liked that better than XP? If so, your opinion on this topic is disqualified, IMO. [just kidding]
LOL

Actually, I have six computers and five of them are Windows 10 machines. The sixth still has Vista installed on it. It has been running 24/7 for some 9-10 years now. It is our HTPC. I installed SageTV on it and have been unable (more like afraid to) upgrade to a newer version of Windows. In any event, I still use it periodically for other uses (IE, eMail, etc.) and keep it up-to-date -- Windows update, Drivers, Anti-virus etc. Microsoft still supports that version.

FWIW, that machine has 10 external hard drives attached to it for a total of some 25 TB's of storage.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:41 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I spend a good two hours yesterday installing Ubuntu onto another computer and have had nothing but problems with it...even the installation was a pain. Then, I attempted to install Chrome on it (I use Google quite a bit for...well, everything) and of course, there is a compatibility issue with Ubuntu 16.02 (I think that is the latest build) and Chrome...and you have to jump through MANY steps to get it to run. I still haven't figured it out. It's all very annoying...
Old 05-25-2016, 09:58 AM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Thank God MS has not tried to install Win 10 on my very much loved Toshiba Chromebook!
Old 05-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
LOL

Actually, I have six computers and five of them are Windows 10 machines. The sixth still has Vista installed on it. It has been running 24/7 for some 9-10 years now. It is our HTPC. I installed SageTV on it and have been unable (more like afraid to) upgrade to a newer version of Windows. In any event, I still use it periodically for other uses (IE, eMail, etc.) and keep it up-to-date -- Windows update, Drivers, Anti-virus etc. Microsoft still supports that version.

FWIW, that machine has 10 external hard drives attached to it for a total of some 25 TB's of storage.
Sounds like you are getting ready to launch your own "cloud" service!
Old 05-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Thank God MS has not tried to install Win 10 on my very much loved Toshiba Chromebook!
That would be the perfect solution for me...being able to install the Android OS on my older computers. There are a couple of products out there in beta version, but they are quite buggy as I understand.