Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2016, 10:23 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess I have all this to deal with when I get back home later today. Oh joy. If it updates it automatically, I may just suck it up and see if I can live with it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Sounds like you are getting ready to launch your own "cloud" service!
LOL

Worse than that, my main computer has half again as much external storage attached to it. So, yes. You are correct. I have set up my own personal "cloud" since I can access it all from anywhere with Teamviewer.

I do use some "Clouds" (Dropbox, etc.) for those programs that require it -- e.g., Moneydance -- and to transfer large files to other people. But I try to avoid them because of the "subscription" aspect. Also, it is kind of impractical for me. For instance, I tried to upload my 2.5 TB's of photo images... after a day and a half, I gave up with less than half uploaded. (I was given a free 3tb cloud subscription.)

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Yep... they got me on this....

I had closed all the other notifications with the X... heck, I do not remember there being a "NO" option.... but there could have been....
Something new to be careful with. They have done this in general across the dialog screens, there is no "APPLY" or "OK" buttons. If you change something it is done, whether it was intended or not.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
That would be the perfect solution for me...being able to install the Android OS on my older computers. There are a couple of products out there in beta version, but they are quite buggy as I understand.
You can install Ubuntu on a Toshiba Chromebook if you want more "laptop" capabilities. I have not done so (yet) but may in the future.

The Chromebook is very nice and with a 64GB flash drive, I can do most anything. It's fast as heck and a great internet device. Plus, Google has Sheets and Docs for doing "office" related stuff. I very rarely use my laptop since I got the Chromebook.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
You can install Ubuntu on a Toshiba Chromebook if you want more "laptop" capabilities. I have not done so (yet) but may in the future.

The Chromebook is very nice and with a 64GB flash drive, I can do most anything. It's fast as heck and a great internet device. Plus, Google has Sheets and Docs for doing "office" related stuff. I very rarely use my laptop since I got the Chromebook.
I have installed Ubuntu onto one of my PCs and have had nothing but problems with it. The best solution (for me) would be to be able to run Chrome OS on *all* my computers. I don't really want to go out and buy a Chromebook since I have a laptop and 2 desktops that are perfectly fine...OS not withstanding. The biggest issue I see with trying to using a beta Chome-type OS (such as Remix OS) is being able to install my very dated (but reliable and cheap to use) HP Laserprinter. I'll figure something out...but it will be after I get back from my Summer excursion!
Old 05-25-2016, 02:48 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

I just got a popup asking if I wanted a Windows 10 update now or tonight - no other choice. WTF?
Old 05-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I just got a popup asking if I wanted a Windows 10 update now or tonight - no other choice. WTF?

Since someone put a pic of the popup, there is a way to change the schedule on the middle somewhere... try that.... that is the only thing I saw (after the fact for me) to do anything about it...

Hope you did not click the X... unless of course you want the change...
Old 05-25-2016, 03:42 PM   #88

Looks like the backlash has caused MS to rethink what they did. And yes, they tricked people into upgrading. It's not everyone's imagination.

Days after angering many users with its so-called "nasty trick", Microsoft has reversed its crazy decision to infuriate users by upgrading them to Windows 10 automatically. Users were angry that clicking the cross to dismiss the box meant that they had agreed to the upgrade. Based on "customer feedback", Microsoft said it would add another notification that provided customers with "an additional opportunity for cancelling the upgrade". Microsoft told the BBC it had modified the pop-up as a result of criticism: "We've added another notification that confirms the time of the scheduled upgrade and provides the customer an additional opportunity for cancelling or rescheduling the upgrade. If the customer wishes to continue with their upgrade at the designated time, they can click 'OK' or close the notifications with no further action needed."

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36376962
Old 05-25-2016, 05:01 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

There is an app called NEVER10 https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

I found out about this at the Security Now! podcast. Listen to the last two sessions.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:17 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

What else can I do to derail an auto update to Windows 10 that does not involve firearms?
Old 05-25-2016, 08:47 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What else can I do to derail an auto update to Windows 10 that does not involve firearms?
Shut down your computer and take a vacation from the internet until mid-July. Assuming they actually follow through and end the "free" upgrade.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:00 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Just to be clear, I have never found a Windows version that I didn't like better than the previous version.
I've yet to find a person who thought Windows ME was decent software, let alone an improvement for Windows 98.

Did I find the first one?
Old 05-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #93

Quote:
Install linux....

OK, try this tool, GWX control panel, I have not used it but the comments are favorable

Ultimate Outsider: Using GWX Control Panel to Permanently Remove the 'Get Windows 10' Icon
Old 05-26-2016, 06:57 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Install linux....

OK, try this tool, GWX control panel, I have not used it but the comments are favorable

Ultimate Outsider: Using GWX Control Panel to Permanently Remove the 'Get Windows 10' Icon
Thanks. Sure that it is safe?
Old 05-26-2016, 09:03 PM   #95

Quote:
Thanks. Sure that it is safe?
It's been reviewed on several of the computer sites, but something could always go wrong.

How to Stop Windows 10 From Installing On Your PC | Digital Trends

A better blocker is available to shield you from coerced 'Get Windows 10' updates | InfoWorld

Microsoft sets stage for massive Windows 10 upgrade strategy | Computerworld

Download from majorgeeks

Download GWX Control Panel - MajorGeeks
Old 05-27-2016, 11:27 AM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleb View Post
The security update that reminds you to install Windows 10 is KB3035583. If you can uninstall this update and then go back and hide this update it should stop the automatic message to install Windows 10.

Change your windows updates option to manual download instead of automatic download. Watch carefully when it is time to install new updates, they sneak KB3035583 back in sometimes.

Some applications and software are not compatible with Windows 10. Currently I am on Windows 7 and when I entered my laptop Service Tag Number into Dell Support website this is the message:

Product not tested for Windows 10 upgrade

Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected.
I went into my updates today and they snuck in KB3035583 AGAIN!! So back to disabling it again and hiding it again.

They are determined to get everyone on Windows 10.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:53 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleb View Post
I went into my updates today and they snuck in KB3035583 AGAIN!! So back to disabling it again and hiding it again.

They are determined to get everyone on Windows 10.
What do folks have for their windows updates settings ? I always set mine to "check for updates but let me choose what to install". I have a number of windows PCs, none of them have installed windows 10 without me manually doing it. Most are still 7, with a popup asking to schedule windows 10.

Originally windows 10 was an optional update, the status got changed to "recommended". Depending on your settings, windows update will treat recommend like critical/important updates and install it automatically.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:22 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
What do folks have for their windows updates settings ? I always set mine to "check for updates but let me choose what to install". I have a number of windows PCs, none of them have installed windows 10 without me manually doing it. Most are still 7, with a popup asking to schedule windows 10.

Originally windows 10 was an optional update, the status got changed to "recommended". Depending on your settings, windows update will treat recommend like critical/important updates and install it automatically.
I have my updates set up the same way which allows me to manually update them. However, if you don't know the update KB Number (3035583) they reinstate it over and over as a recommended critical update.

The reminder to install Windows 10 would appear so many times when signing on the pc so I deleted KB3035583 and 2 others to make the reminder go away. KB3035583 will reappear as an update but I have to be aware that it is Windows 10 so I uncheck it and hide it before installing new updates. Even in the description it says nothing about being the Windows 10 install.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
I've yet to find a person who thought Windows ME was decent software, let alone an improvement for Windows 98.

Did I find the first one?
Well, what I said was a little misleading... and I was wrong (blame it on old age memory). I went from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 but it only lasted a week. This was, in fact, a version that I just could not get on-board with. I uninstalled Windows 95 and installed Windows 2000. I then followed the "NT" branch up to Windows 10.

I did, however, purchase a computer for my daughter that had ME installed on it. I only worked with that version for the setup period and a day or so of playing around. (She lived about 500 miles away and I was visiting.) I don't remember having any complaints but then I didn't really give it a good ride.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:36 AM   #100

After seeing this thread, I decided to get my big computer out of storage and get it upgraded. Unfortunately, I had set it up with a password linked to a Microsoft account. Microsoft deleted my account! What is just as bad, using another computer I had no trouble creating a new account with the same name and e-mail address. I still could not get into the admin account. I think I have had enough of Microsoft's better ideas. I'll put this machine back in storage and when I get it back out, I will convert it to Ubuntu.