Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-30-2016, 09:01 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Win10 was foisted upon me over the weekend. Yep, feeling a bit pissy about the Central Scrutinizer aspect...

Was mostly concerned that my home studio peripherals would not work, as aftermarket stuff seems to be behind by months on driver updates, but the audio/midi interface seems to be working.

Apparently the browser is MS Edge, which doesn't allow plug-ins, so Norton AV is telling me it can't do its thing, and to change browsers....

No other issues, yet...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Win10 was foisted upon me over the weekend. Yep, feeling a bit pissy about the Central Scrutinizer aspect...

Was mostly concerned that my home studio peripherals would not work, as aftermarket stuff seems to be behind by months on driver updates, but the audio/midi interface seems to be working.

Apparently the browser is MS Edge, which doesn't allow plug-ins, so Norton AV is telling me it can't do its thing, and to change browsers....

No other issues, yet...
It also has MSIE already installed (which is compatible with Norton), or you could download another browser if you want to.

Also be sure to go through the settings (left click on the "windows" icon in the lower left on your task bar, and choose "settings"). Make sure every single one is what you want, because the defaults are not what any sane person would want, in my opinion anyway. But then, I am a big fan of privacy.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:19 AM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

No other issues, yet...
Most browsers are no longer supporting plugins, for security no less. You can disable edge, cortana and most of the other "features". You can install other browsers same as before.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Most browsers are no longer supporting plugins, for security no less. You can disable edge, cortana and most of the other "features". You can install other browsers same as before.
Just to be clear: Plugins are being phased out. In their stead we now have addons and extensions.

From an end user perspective it's pretty much the same.

Edge by the way is regarded as not-a-good-idea (tm) by quite a few IT articles reviewing it. Best to replace it with another browser asap.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote