Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-21-2016, 05:53 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Happened to me today. I am not happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Act2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2016, 05:58 PM   #22

I'm an Apple guy, but my standard policy is to always update everything, but only after the update has been out in the field for at least a week. I like getting the latest security gap plugs and bug fixes, and this method has saved me from a couple of buggy updates.

I also have daily backups of everything, so it's not a big deal to recover if something unexpected goes south.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:00 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I switched all of our machines from Windows 7 to Windows 10 a few months ago - no issues on any of them.
big-papa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:12 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
There is already a thread on this issue:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1734700
I merged both threads so that everyone experiencing this update without giving permission, can post about it, exchange ideas, commiserate, and so on, on the same thread.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:52 PM   #25

I almost had this happen to me. After reading this thread I went and booted my Win 7 machine that I do not want to upgrade. The Windows 10 popup had changed and instead of asking to select now or later to upgrade the box announced it would be updating to Win 10 on May 24th! I was able to go and change the update schedule and take if off automatic. This is pretty dirty of Microsoft.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:54 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Happened to DW yesterday. I reverted to Windows 7 it less than 24 hours later... she hated it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:04 PM   #27

I can't believe they would force an OS update like that. Wow. Just shows how they don't respect their users data as OS updates are risky.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:23 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I had the same thing happen to me a month or so ago.

I googled the issue and turned up this link, and successfully stopped the process by following the instructions in that link.

Prevent the Windows 10 upgrade from installing after making your reservation | Windows 10 content from SuperSite for Windows

As I recall, it was scenario 3 that I fell under.

I did note down that there were three updates I deleted.

KB3035583
KB2976978
KB3044374

gettingthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:34 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's a product I used to prevent the automatic updates to Windows 10. Besides this article, it is also recommended by Computerworld and other respected publications.

Never10 is a free app for when you absolutely, positively don't want Windows 10 | PCWorld
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:06 AM   #30

I'm switching back to Linux at earliest convenience. Microsoft really pulled out all the negative stops on this.

Other things you need to be aware of:
  • You will be shown advertisements by default on the boot screen and on several other places. Yes, even if you paid for it.
  • Privacy settings are there, but by default you share everything. Some privacy settings cannot be disabled. Some data will go to Microsoft regardless, even if you block the connections (the OS bypasses them).
  • Updates happen when Microsoft wants them to happen. Best you can achieve is postponing for 1 or 2 days at a time.
  • Downloads of said updates will also happen automatically. Only way to stop that is by either not being connected to the internet or indicating you are on a metered connection for every connection you have.

In short: Microsoft is switching to an advertisement supported model where they own and control your device, including everything you do with it.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:16 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

MS tricked me into this shortly after they changed Win 10 to a recommended update. I was working on my Win 7 desktop and the Upgrade now? Upgrade Later? window popped up. I planned to upgrade much later so I clicked that button assuming I would get the same screen back when "later" arrived. The next morning I booted to Win 10. I have been happy with the new OS but irritated that MS pushed it on me before I was ready.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:56 AM   #32
Administrator

This is a strange way to build share of heart among consumers. In the past MS has shown some disregard to the knowledge investment (in IE and Office) made by their user base by not ensuring complete backward compatibility and introducing upgrades with different GUI and structure. I thought they needed to increase their share in the consumer marketplace. Forced upgrades appears to me to be something along the lines of "the beatings will continue until morale improves!".
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #33

I don't know what, if anything, was special about yesterday but last evening I had calls from 4 friends whose systems were automatically updated. So far all were successful.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I don't know what, if anything, was special about yesterday but last evening I had calls from 4 friends whose systems were automatically updated. So far all were successful.

Oh, mine was successful, but it was not what I wanted...

It also changed some of my options on programs... I have only gone into Firefox and MS new explorer (whatever it is called).... and my menus have changed or gone away... trying to get them back to where I want... will have to check to see if other programs work...

I also asked not to enable Cortana, but it is down on the bottom taking up a good amount of real estate...

I did turn off am much info sharing as I could on the opening screens.... but MS being MS, it was not easy to find or change... there was a big button indicating to accept on the right and a really tiny text somewhere on the left for you to make your own selections.... sneaky way of getting most people to default to setting beneficial to MS....

AND, now when my computer comes out of sleep mode, I am NOT where I used to be.... there is some screen with (IIRC) a mountain... I have to click on that, then there is a screen for me to 'sign in' even though I never set up my computer to sign in....

In the end I will probably be OK with Win 10.... so far it seems like it is much better than 8 which I hated... and the look and feel is enough like 7 for me to be OK with it.... but time will tell when I actually start to do things in my programs...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I think all this MS buffoon buffoonery has convinced me to bite the bullet and give Linux a try.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:09 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

OMG.... just noticed that my ad block is no longer on Firefox... what was the one that was better than ad block I never wrote it down and do not remember the name!!!

Edit...

Just used the 'start' button for the first time... and NOW I see where the big difference is.... not a fan of this as it now does look like Win 8 to me...
Old 05-22-2016, 10:14 AM   #37
Administrator

The exact same thing happened to DW yesterday and she was convinced she had accidentally triggered it. We only just moved into our new place in England and got internet connected on Friday and with the English style keyboard having keys in slightly different places she thought she had started the upgrade.

The good news is that the upgrade has worked well and she is sticking with W10.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
OMG.... just noticed that my ad block is no longer on Firefox... what was the one that was better than ad block I never wrote it down and do not remember the name!!!
That's weird! I have no trouble with Ad Block Pro running with MSIE under Windows 10.

Wonder why you are having a problem running it with Firefox?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:18 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
uBlock Origin - runs as an add-on, even on mobile!
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:22 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That's weird! I have no trouble with Ad Block Pro running with MSIE under Windows 10.

Wonder why you are having a problem running it with Firefox?

I am not saying it does not work, but that it is no longer in Firefox...

When it updated and I went into Firefox it said that there was a problem and I needed to 'refresh'.... so I refresh... now, the two adblock add ons that I had are no longer inside Firefox... so ads are now popping up...

There was a discussion on a better ad blocker than adblock as it has a white list of sites where they allow ads.... I do not want any if possible... I will have to search if nobody lets me know the name...

Again, this is directly related to having the OS changed... more work for me...