Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

OMG! where has this been all my life?!
Old 12-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OMG! where has this been all my life?!

Costco ad for items that feed our passions. they say.

http://www.costco.com/.product.10012...a#product-tab1

Now I'm dumb and thought this was like bluing in the laundry and resulted in whiter teeth that way, but no. These bluetooth enabled toothbrushes give "realtime feedback", so while you are brushing your teeth you can check your Iphone and discover that, yes, you are actually doing that. You can also check your iphone to find out if you DID brush your teeth already today (handy for seniors) - much better than watching the facial expression of someone you are exhaling on. As with the fitbit, you can check your iphone to see if you have brushed your teeh on a regular basis - maybe it could forward that news to your dentist or - better yet! post the news to your Facebook account!

"Bluetooth
communication between brush and smartphone provides real-time feedback on brushing habits, helping you achieve amazing results"
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great catch. Not sure how we lived without it. Since it is at Costco, how many you have to buy? A set of 10?
RetireBy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Lol!
Old 12-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #4

The really interesting thing is ... people will buy it !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #5

It'll cost you an eyetooth - $135!
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #6

Is this a joke? Or an Onion article? I read it, and it looks legit, but I just can't believe it is real.

If it is real, I know of one extended family member who will be first in line to get one.
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

the next one will have gps so it can tell you if you spent enough time on each tooth!
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

It should send a daily email report to your dentist.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

This was funny, at first... but then...
Since I are a senior, and gettin' there with memory problems, I can see some possibilities.

How about a chip... in a calendar... on the medicine organizer, the vacuum, the dishwasher, the mailbox, telephone, in short , on everything that should be done on a schedule, by a senior who lives alone.
A pre-planned schedule that responds on a bracelet "notifier".
Telephone call to check in with daughter on Monday and Thursday.
Church on Sunday
Medication on schedule..
Washing machine schedule
Day and date

... and many many more things that we oldsters tend to lose track of. A one time set up, by self, or by a care provider or relative... to establish the kind of regimen that becomes evermore important as we age.

So, today, the toothbrush... tomorrow... who knows?
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Since I are a senior, and gettin' there with memory problems, I can see some possibilities.

How about a chip... in a calendar... on the medicine organizer, the vacuum, the dishwasher, the mailbox, telephone, in short , on everything that should be done on a schedule, by a senior who lives alone.
Church on Sunday
Medication on schedule..
Washing machine schedule
Day and date

... and many many more things that we oldsters tend to lose track of. A one time set up, by self, or by a care provider or relative... to establish the kind of regimen that becomes evermore important as we age.

I suppose you can set up an electronic calendar with alerts for all this (works well on a smartphone or a computer). I receive calendar alerts to remind me of appointments and of weekly tasks that I tend to forget about, like watering house plants.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I am reminded of an observation made once by the late George Carlin: If you nail together two things that have never been nailed together before some schmuck will buy it from you.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I suppose you can set up an electronic calendar with alerts for all this (works well on a smartphone or a computer). I receive calendar alerts to remind me of appointments and of weekly tasks that I tend to forget about, like watering house plants.
Yeah... And we have a calendar on the refrigerator, but forget to look at it.. and when going to the bathroom in the morning, take a shower, but forget the medicines. Tuesday comes and it's easy to forget to put the trash out. Most of the people I know who are as old as or older than me, aren't too adept with their computers, mostly email, if that, and most have regular cell phones, so I'm thinking a bracelet that cues the important things, "Take your pills"...and interactive chips in places where a reminder may be in order... as a "ding" when leaving the house, to remind about locking the door.

Dunno, doesn't sound crazy to me.

As my mom and DW's mom always used to say... "Someday you'll get old, and then you'll understand."
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

In Texas we have "bluetoof"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Yuk it up, but... It's gonna happen anyway.

Cheap Bluetooth modules are available now for as little as $5.99 for a single unit. When you order these suckers in lots of 10,000 and put the part on a preexisting circuit board with a controller (as found in some electric toothbrushes, LED lamps, car keys, etc), you're looking at a $1.05 price, plus the board space for the chip and antenna.

That's cheap enough that you'll see Bluetooth capability showing up in many under-$20 products in the next few years. Some of the wished for products are already out, but the prices have not started down the sigmoid curve from early adapter to WalMart customer yet.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #15

ROTFL!!!

Thanks, I needed that!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #16

Gad, I'm 64, never heard of this and now knowing what I have been missing I am amazed that I still have all my teeth. How could that have happened?

DW and I walked around a large mall today (went to dinner nearby) and were once again amazed at all the "stuff" for sale that we somehow miraculously manage to survive without having. This wasn't the local mall, this was the gigunda mall in the nearby Big City. It is a monument to consumer consumption.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Yuk it up, but... It's gonna happen anyway.

Cheap Bluetooth modules are available now for as little as $5.99 for a single unit. When you order these suckers in lots of 10,000 and put the part on a preexisting circuit board with a controller (as found in some electric toothbrushes, LED lamps, car keys, etc), you're looking at a $1.05 price, plus the board space for the chip and antenna.

That's cheap enough that you'll see Bluetooth capability showing up in many under-$20 products in the next few years. Some of the wished for products are already out, but the prices have not started down the sigmoid curve from early adapter to WalMart customer yet.

And that bluetooth connectivity will play into the internet of things - a la Nest thermostat. Much good but at a cost in loss of privacy - we'll be trading privacy (which will result in increased police protection via surveillance because we all want to be safe - and hey, the technology is there...) for safety. More things which are good ideas will become mandatory (like helmets), and the more things that are mandatory the less freedom we will have. And all because somebody got the bright idea to stick bluetooth in a toothbrush. By cracky - I'll luddite along with yellow teeth and a fuzzy stick before the government learns how long and when I brushed my fangs.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #18
Administrator

People are really going to regret all this inter-connectedness when Skynet becomes self-aware.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #19

Does it send a report to my dentist too?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

Church on Sunday
Medication on schedule..
Washing machine schedule
Day and date

I've actually put some thought into a product like this (though I'm not motivated enough to do the work to bring it to market)...

My thoughts were a little 'box' with a very easy to use interface, and a bunch of physical 'tags'. One type of tag would be 'active', with a beeper/timer /communication in it, another 'dumb' tag would just have a nice human-readable ID#, and a bar code for the 'box'.

So let's say you want a reminder in a week that the open milk should be tossed. Grab a 'dumb tag', scan it at the box, push the "one week" and "one time" reminder button (there would be simple buttons for elapsed hours, days, weeks, etc, and direct date entry) and then make a simple voice recording " Milk will be one week old ". Affix the 'dumb tag' to the milk jug (you would need a variety of little attachment do-hickeys to make it convenient to attach the tags to various shaped objects, rubber-band straps, clips, wire-ties, etc).

A week later, the 'box' would alarm, and announce the tag ID# and play your recorded message. There would also be a simple 'review' button, to review what is coming due.

The 'active tags' could serve to help locate whatever it is you needed to do, as they could beep on their own (and could hopefully play the voice recording as well, I hate tracking down beeps in the house).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote