Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Now... for snowbirds...
Street shutoff for water... and the 110 other items on my checklist before leaving for the south... not including the packing list.

Ya don't wanna know.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

What DFW_M5 said...plus you might want to remember that if you use cheapo spun fiberglass filters, they should be changed monthly. The more expensive pleated filters are best changed quarterly. Be certain the arrow indicating return air flow points toward the duct rather than the grille for more efficiency. That one little thing can add years to a system. If you have central air, it is wise to mow with your grass discharging away from the unit. And it is good to periodically hose out the grille & fins on the unit as they do get clogged with dirt and grasss. It is amazing what can come out in the wash!!!!!!!
Prof 12

Old 12-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Now... for snowbirds...
Street shutoff for water... and the 110 other items on my checklist before leaving for the south... not including the packing list.

Ya don't wanna know.
Yep, I have a similar list (it's lengthy also). Was just working on it today, actually - we're departing for Texas in a couple weeks.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Put new hoses on the washer if they are not.

AND pop the few extra bucks for the braided stainless steel. A BURST HOSE IS NOT GOOD!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Know where the fire extinguisher and flashlights are in case of emergency. Also the liquor cabinet and supply of Fancy Feast also in case of emergency.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
If you have an automatic sprinkler system understand how to program the controller.
And where the sprinkler heads are and where the valves are buried and where the PVC pipes run under the driveways and sidewalks and other places.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
And where the sprinkler heads are and where the valves are buried and where the PVC pipes run under the driveways and sidewalks and other places.
With all due respect LOL, I have no clue about sprinkler heads and PVC pipes. Hope I never need to acquire this knowledge.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Or use Outlook Tasks, iPad calendar, etc. ... I have all mine on Outlook, including a haircut every 4 weeks until I die.
This is awesome. I am going to put my house maintenance tasks on my newish Samsung S3. This will require me to learn more about how to use the phone. Then I can spend time putting all the tasks on the phone.

Which should result in no time to actually do the yucky house work.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #29

Main water shut-off tip: the last plumber we had come over here said that he gives water main valve tools as housewarming gifts to all of his friends. He tells them to hang it accessibly in the garage and several of them have already thanked him. I was headed out to the big box store that day already and bought one which is now hanging by the door into the garage.

We don't have gas so I don't need one this fancy, but here is a multipurpose version of the tool
Emergency Tool-26097 at The Home Depot
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron

With all due respect LOL, I have no clue about sprinkler heads and PVC pipes. Hope I never need to acquire this knowledge.
If you ever plan to plant a new shrub or tree yourself I highly recommend you know where the sprinkler pipes run. One good whack with a pick ax in the wrong spot and you'll know why this advice is golden! DH has trashed more PVC than he will ever admit to.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
AND pop the few extra bucks for the braided stainless steel. A BURST HOSE IS NOT GOOD!
I've read this recommendation before but am not sure exactly what kind of hose this is. Can someone post a link; I'd like to replace mine so I don't have to worry about it. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:05 AM   #32

Quote:
If you ever plan to plant a new shrub or tree yourself I highly recommend you know where the sprinkler pipes run. One good whack with a pick ax in the wrong spot and you'll know why this advice is golden! DH has trashed more PVC than he will ever admit to.
Likewise if there are any trees or shrubs you plan to have removed. I mentioned to the person who came to turn on the gas to my water heater and vet the fireplace that I plan to get rid of the tree on the corner of the property (growing into the power lines and already been topped once) and a big rhododendron that is growing right next to the gas meter. He suggested I call utility line marking (he "call before you dig" folks). The house is on a corner and he didn't know which street the gas line comes in from. The water meter is in such a location that the service line could be coming from either street as well. I definitely don't want damage to the water line or worse, the gas line, while having the stump of the tree ground, or the roots of the big rhody grubbed out.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:31 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
I've read this recommendation before but am not sure exactly what kind of hose this is. Can someone post a link; I'd like to replace mine so I don't have to worry about it. Thanks.
Looks something like this

Amazon.com: Washing Machine Hose (PBLSPWE601212): Appliances

Places like Lowes and Home Depot ext. should carry it.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #34

Lots of good advice/hints in this thread. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the dual control for your cooling/heating system. I'm talking heat pump here as it's the only system I'm familiar with. Good for systems installed in high humidity areas like mine. I have, in addition to the standard thermostat, a humidistat that will operate your A/C unit based on humidity and not the temperature. If you live in Florida or Texas as an example, and you leave your home for an extended period of time, you set the humidstat for 60% and the thermostat for 90 degrees. This dual system allows your cooling system to keep the humidity at 60% and the temperature at a much higher degree than you normally would. Can really save you some utility cost.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:07 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ahhh, there's the problem. Sprinkler pipes are pretty rare in Virginia. Never had them in any house we lived in. Thinking it's more of a dry climate thing.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you have an automatic sprinkler system understand how to program the controller.
It's good to replace the backup battery (maintains your program if power is out) in your sprinkler system controller. I do it in the spring before going on vacations.

Same for smoke detectors, CO2 detectors, etc.

Tags
fix, home, house, operate, repair