Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Yes, this.....................in our case we got an immediate promotion from geezers to grandpa/ma , an elite circle with lots of similar stories. The 2 grandmas did a sales job on the kids that nobody else could be counted on so until she gets accepted into their chosen daycare, we are alternating babysitting duties.

So every 2 wks or so, we fly down (and the others drive) 400 mi south.
In our case, it's up at 4AM Monday for the flight down and then back Fri at 9PM for the wkend to tend the lawn/mail , then back again on Monday.
Wow. Just 'Wow.'

How fortunate your grandchildren are, and what wonderfully big shoes to fill you've just shared with us.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All I can say is I have the cutest, most intelligent and well behaved grandchildren, bar none.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:39 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
All I can say is I have the cutest, most intelligent and well behaved grandchildren, bar none.

My grandkid's other grandpa (now deceased) was my barber. Whenever I got a haircut we'd get into a huge argument about who had the smartest grandkids.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
In our area it is Legos! There is even an Lego's Engineering group in the metro area. The Silicon Valley we are not but in many ways we are Silicon Valley north.
I gave some thought to that and will probably get a set of those later on. Both have almost no limits on what can be done with them and that is what makes them so fun.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:21 PM   #25

Frayne: They are definitely cute! Notice that I did not say they were the cutest though! Your grandson has a ornery look on his face!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:37 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

My daughter and her husband have been married over 7 years. Both had physical problems that made getting pregnant difficult. Both underwent surgery to try to resolve the problems. After 7 years of marriage, I had accepted the fact there would not be any grandbabies and I was fine with that. Imagine my surprise when last summer they announced they were pregnant. Although I was happy for them, I really had no strong feelings about being a grandma...until that little baby was born and I picked her up the first time. I was shocked by the depth of my feelings for that little, tiny girl. I had no idea you could love someone else's baby so much. But I love her. And I think SHE is the cutest one ever
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 123.JPG (138.3 KB, 12 views)
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:52 PM   #27

Miss Molly, she is without a doubt delightful!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Miss Molly, she is without a doubt delightful!

Thank you. We are totally smitten. And I guess to address the initial question in this post - how has it changed our lives? Well, we had always thought that when we retired that we would move to the coast somewhere in N Carolina - around Kill Devil Hills. We absolutely love that area. Since my mom passed away in December of last year, I no longer need to be close by to ferry her to her many doctor/hospital visits, do her shopping, cooking, etc. And my son graduated from college, got a job and moved out - so we were finally free of most ties. However....now....no way am I leaving this little doll baby.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 10-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
My daughter and her husband have been married over 7 years. Both had physical problems that made getting pregnant difficult. Both underwent surgery to try to resolve the problems. After 7 years of marriage, I had accepted the fact there would not be any grandbabies and I was fine with that. Imagine my surprise when last summer they announced they were pregnant. Although I was happy for them, I really had no strong feelings about being a grandma...until that little baby was born and I picked her up the first time. I was shocked by the depth of my feelings for that little, tiny girl. I had no idea you could love someone else's baby so much. But I love her. And I think SHE is the cutest one ever
Quote:
Thank you. We are totally smitten. And I guess to address the initial question in this post - how has it changed our lives? Well, we had always thought that when we retired that we would move to the coast somewhere in N Carolina - around Kill Devil Hills. We absolutely love that area. Since my mom passed away in December of last year, I no longer need to be close by to ferry her to her many doctor/hospital visits, do her shopping, cooking, etc. And my son graduated from college, got a job and moved out - so we were finally free of most ties. However....now....no way am I leaving this little doll baby.
Miss Molly, I think you've summed up our paradigm shift pretty much spot on. And that little bundle of chubby cuteness? Oh. My. Gosh.

Currently we travel for multi months at a time, but have already cleared our calendar for the next six months to allow for ample grandbaby time. Will be interesting to see if we suffer 'pangs' when we take off for our first long trip again next spring.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Our story is similar (except I'm like your DD in this case). We were so happy when we finally had our DD. My parents are completely ga-ga over her. It's so funny. I love that my DD has such a close relationship with them though.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I enjoy being a grandparent. I made two decisions concerning grandchildren.

Treat them all equally.

Never put a "My grandchild is cuter than your grandchild" bumper sticker on my car.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

I love my three little granddaughters and the new one that is baking right now, with all my heart, but they are also more to worry about (with all my heart too), I was surprised to find. Can't blame anyone for deciding against having kids!
Old 10-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I love my three little granddaughters and the new one that is baking right now, with all my heart, but they are also more to worry about (with all my heart too), I was surprised to find. Can't blame anyone for deciding against having kids!
Bugger. I was afraid of that.

That was the part of parenting no one warned me about . . . that you worry/hurt as much about/for them as adults, as you did when they were young.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
That was the part of parenting no one warned me about . . . that you worry/hurt as much about/for them as adults, as you did when they were young.
I figured that out when I transferred off the street (police officer) and into the Fraud Section. I was trying to explain to my mother what I did at work, not getting very far, and ended up with "Mom, I work at a desk". I saw a look of incredible relief come over her.

I was just over 40 years old at the time, but to her I would always be 6.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #35

I love this thread. I love that so many of us enjoy our grandchildren so much. I have one granddaughter who has so many similarities to me that we are totally on the same wave length and we both know it. I love the other 5 just as much, but there is really something special we share. Does any one else have this? It's almost eerie.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I hear ya. It's a new and different phase of parenting, that's for sure. I worry about them just as much as adults with kids of their own. And there's more time in retirement for worry.

But more time for joy too! I guess that's what life is all about.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #37

Quote:

Really. Long story, DS lives in Africa, pregnant wife left in August to have our 5th grandchild (his first child). Day after he put her on plane in Tanzania, he had a spontaneous collapsed lung (he's an ultra marathoner). Hospital there for a week, air ambulances him to Johannesberg. His wife unable to fly, expected him to have surgery. So DW and I flew to Joberg to be with him. They got it re-inflated without surgery thankfully, but nothing like a 16 hour flight to be with your 37 yo son. We're glad we did it, as he was released way before the return date we selected we did some traveling. We had just been to TZ the month before, so this really taxed the flight tolerances.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
, but nothing like a 16 hour flight to be with your 37 yo son. We're glad we did it, as he was released way before the return date we selected we did some traveling. We had just been to TZ the month before, so this really taxed the flight tolerances.
Glad your son is okay . Those flights most be brutal .
Old 10-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am about to have my first grandkid. I didn’t have grandparents myself, so I guess I will be making it up as I go along. Complicated by the fact that my daughter and her husband live in Saudi Arabia. So any trip to see them will be complicated. Still since they were married two years ago they have been exceptionally good at getting to the US to visit.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sometime Soon View Post
I am about to have my first grandkid. I didn’t have grandparents myself, so I guess I will be making it up as I go along. Complicated by the fact that my daughter and her husband live in Saudi Arabia. So any trip to see them will be complicated. Still since they were married two years ago they have been exceptionally good at getting to the US to visit.
Congratulations

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD