Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought I would provide an update now that our sweet bundle of GD joy has arrived.

Firstly, we are completely smitten, having spent the first two and half weeks of her life helping my daughter. Our SIL won't be home from active duty until mid-November, so we have been the stand ins in his place. Secondly, to our mutual surprise, my spouse and I are in agreement that we would like to provide daycare for the gap between the end of my DD's maternity leave, and the expiration of her current teaching contract this summer, after which she will likely be staying home for a one to two year time period.

At the end of the day my heart couldn't bear the thought of a stranger watching her, nor could my DH's. We are both so in love with this little person already it's crazy.

So that means 2015 will be the first time we won't hit our 50% on-the-road target since ER'ing. However, it's a brief time really, just four months or so, and I am 100% confident we will have no regrets whatsoever when we look backward to this time in future years.

Were we not FIRE'd, we'd never have had this type of opportunity. I think about that often these days.
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congratulations to all of you, RetiredAndFree. I'll bet anything that those four months will be times you remember always.
Sometime Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #43
Gone but not forgotten

Congratulations ! You may find your life changing in many ways !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

I can't even imagine how much your gesture will mean to your SIL.

Congrats on the new little one who has already stolen your hearts!
Old 10-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats on the new grand! I feel the same as you about day care for infants. Fortunately, our daughter's husband works weird schedules and is frequently home during the week, so we don't have to babysit all the time, but we get her at least once or twice a week which is just perfect for me. Enjoy the new baby. It's unbelievable how fast they grow. Our is already 8+ months and it seems like just a couple of weeks ago she was born.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #46

I'm so happy for you and for your grandchild. There's no one better than loving grandparents to act as caregivers in the first course of years!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #47

[QUOTE=RetiredAndFree;1509289]
At the end of the day my heart couldn't bear the thought of a stranger watching her, nor could my DH's. We are both so in love with this little person already it's crazy.

So that means 2015 will be the first time we won't hit our 50% on-the-road target since ER'ing. However, it's a brief time really, just four months or so, .................................................. ..../QUOTE]

Congratulations on your new life! don't be too sure about that four months........it can be addicting esp. after they become mobile. In our case, the 2 grandmothers got an agreement from the parents to share custody until she got accepted into their chosen daycare. There was a forecast for the possibility of an opening next summer recently but DW suggested that was too soon.............she's 21 mos. now and will be 2.5 yrs old then. Don't say you were warned Enjoy!
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote