On Leaving

Jager

Recycles dryer sheets
When people leave a company there is always that faint - and sometimes not so faint - wonder of how it will be unfold. Some folks get a quick walk to the elevators ("don't worry about the two weeks' notice, we'll pay you anyway"). The modern version of walking the plank.

For some it's a little friendlier. They actually make you work the two weeks.

When I was having my little disagreement with the CFO a few weeks ago I was prepared to resign on principle. Generally well-liked by senior management, I didn't expect to be walked to the door. But having been around the corporate world long enough to not be surprised by much, I didn't take much for granted.

I cleaned out my desk before heading into that little argument.

It was all nice and clean, then, when a few weeks later I actually did tender my resignation.

Alas, no hastily prepared "package." I'd actually be working those eight weeks.

Today was our quarterly board meeting. I'm sitting where I usually do over along the side, with the other non-participants. Just there as an observer.

Watching the BOD members soberly work through its agenda, I'm thinking to myself "this is the last one of these I'll ever sit through."

Near the end, right before they move into executive session, our CEO interjects a non-agenda item. He pauses. "I'd like to thank Jeff..." and then he goes on and says the nicest things about me. I was utterly floored by his gracious and unexpected gesture.

"How long is it, Jeff" he asks, turning to me? "Two months?"

"Five weeks, now" I quickly correct him. To a room full of instant laughter.

I won't miss a lot from the corporate world. But there will be a little.

Congrats Jeff! You're in the home stretch...

I had somewhat the same experience with a 2 Regional VPs who flew in for our Christmas party/my retirement party.. said some awfully nice things.. 2 weeks later I'm outta there ...I got invisible very quickly. No matter how you think it will unfold, both you and those left behind move on very quickly. My guess is that you will enjoy the parting a whole lot more than the few things you'll miss.

Congrats and best wishes, Jager or Jeff, whichever you prefer.

I hate goodbyes or such "interjections" that draws attention to me. The two obligatory week notice will be the longest two weeks at work for me. I will probably end up using a few days of my vacation to make it go faster. My employees will likely throw a farewell luncheon, many others will attend it. I don't look forward to it in case I can't control my emotion and break down. Some of the employees have been with me for over a decades and are like family members. Will see how if unfolds and will post it in this forum if my mood strikes me.

Jager, thanks for sharing that story. Good luck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom