Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
An interesting aspect of dope and same sex marriage polls is how rapidly views flipped from very negative to positive. I guess people just accept the common wisdom until they think about it but they don't think about it until enough views have changed to get a buzz stated - then blam, everybody flips. Even five years ago, expressing positive views on either topic would make you unelectable. Soon the reverse will be true in many locations.
+1 Good point. I saw this happen in the 60s on race too, both on a nationwide level and in several personal experiences. One concerned the dad of one of my best friends who was a former Marine, a southerner and a current policeman. He started out extremely racist, but in the end was trying to get blacks to sign up for the police force. He said of all his son's rock and roll band friends, they were the only ones well dressed and respectful. (yeah I know, that is still a form of prejudice too) At any rate I remember him sincerely trying to get blacks to apply to the police force, quite a change for him personally and for our country in general. It may take a long time, but eventually people respond to injustice.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Or brewing your own beer.......

Stills are still illegal, however, even for making essential oils (scents). Some progress being made, however Artisan Home Distilling - DIY - MOTHER EARTH NEWS
I'd love to fool around with a still and you can buy one at most homebrew supply shops. But the idiot laws against such make me very nervous so I have stuck to homebrew. It would be nice to see it change.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Didn't know they were illegal, like you said you can buy the stuff easily. I brewed beer for years. Watch out though when you get good at it, it will likely be full body, high alcohol content = lots of calories....
Old 04-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
So, I was getting my daily news fix on "CBS This Morning" where there was the regular segment by the pollster who gets the feel out of regular folks. Today was about how attitudes are changing about legalization of pot.

But even more was during the segment where he bluntly asks the 3 anchors if they ever smoked pot. Holy moly. One anchor took the fifth, one said yes, and one said no.

Here's the segment in cases you interested (the on the spot part comes at around 3:20 of the video):

Marijuana legalization: Majority supports move in new poll - Videos - CBS News
Watched it. What a lame weasel that first "anchor " in the blue dress is. She looked somewhat panicked, stammers and says she won't answer cuz she's not part of the focus group. Maybe she was just paranoid from being high at the time.

But the quintessential pot weasel answer was, yes I smoked, but I didn't inhale.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAVE3 View Post
... I brewed beer for years. Watch out though when you get good at it, it will likely be full body, high alcohol content = lots of calories....
Tell that to the English Mild I brewed and just put on tap. It's about 3% alcohol.

The brewers I know who are very good at it can produce both low and high (barleywines, Russian Imperial Stouts, Wee Heavies) alcohol beers. But mostly low-to mid range, so you can enjoy them w/o falling over.

-ERD50
Old 04-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Actually, in CO it is now legal to cultivate up to 12 plants per household for personal use. I haven't touched the stuff in over 20 years, but I get the impression that 12 plants is quite a lot of weed. We have a small hydroponic system we use for growing culinary herbs and starting seedlings that I would imagine could e easily adapted to indoor growing.
Thanks brewer. I Googled it and found that indeed those Colorado folks have added some provisions for legally growing your own. Six plants per adult with a twelve plant per household maximum. Must be grown in a locked/secured area. They intend to enforce this by complaint only. No search parties combing through your backyard veggie patch to see if you snuck in an extra pot plant between the zuchinni and the green beans. Sounds fair.

It'll be interesting to see how the "for personal use" part works out. If the price at commercial outlets remains high, some folks might be tempted to share the bounty of their garden with a needy neighbor.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Tell that to the English Mild I brewed and just put on tap. It's about 3% alcohol.

The brewers I know who are very good at it can produce both low and high (barleywines, Russian Imperial Stouts, Wee Heavies) alcohol beers. But mostly low-to mid range, so you can enjoy them w/o falling over.

-ERD50
WEE HEAVY!

Sorry, just had a Belhaven Wee Heavy today and enjoyed it so much. We almost never find it.

Got a little excited there........
Old 04-04-2014, 10:41 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
WEE HEAVY!

Sorry, just had a Belhaven Wee Heavy today and enjoyed it so much. We almost never find it.

Got a little excited there........
Interesting the subject of BIG beers would come up today. I had dinner with my son this evening and had a couple Hoppin Frog BORIS The Crusher. BORIS stands for Bodacious Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout.

At 9.4%, I knew it was best to cut myself off after two 13oz glasses. Tasted great though....... I'm a stout drinker and was pleased to find this particular Ohio brew on tap near my home in the Chicago suburbs.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Watched it. What a lame weasel that first "anchor " in the blue dress is. She looked somewhat panicked, stammers and says she won't answer cuz she's not part of the focus group. Maybe she was just paranoid from being high at the time.

But the quintessential pot weasel answer was, yes I smoked, but I didn't inhale.
I agree the gal in blue, can't even read the chart. Her response was laughable.

Easysurfer, sorry for pulling your leg on the 320 vs. 420 bit. Or maybe mine was being pulled.
MRG
Old 04-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I agree the gal in blue, can't even read the chart. Her response was laughable.

Easysurfer, sorry for pulling your leg on the 320 vs. 420 bit. Or maybe mine was being pulled.
MRG
MRG, np about the 420 thing. Learn something everyday day.

There was a reference of 420 on The Tonight Show last night or the night before.