Join Early Retirement Today

"One Click" warning
Old 07-16-2015, 07:51 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"One Click" warning

Maybe this is much ado about nothing, but it surely bothered me. It's an Email from Amazon, which says that by a single click, I would be enrolled in paperless billing. I don't want that, but think that it would have been easy to do the "one click"...
If this kind of "one click" commitment catches on, what next? Sign up for credit cards? Purchases? Donations?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amazon.jpg (155.5 KB, 30 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I finally have started to pay many of my bills online. And they are constantly trying to trick me into paperless billing so they can save postage. Unlike Amazons above benefit being "avoid losing paper statements in the clutter", I am more likely to lose email notification in my email clutter. I have never missed a bill in 35 years from a mailing, so they are going to keep mailing the bill to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 07-16-2015, 08:43 PM   #3

Received an email from my credit card company today to do a one click to register to get 5X points for purchases.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I finally have started to pay many of my bills online. And they are constantly trying to trick me into paperless billing so they can save postage. Unlike Amazons above benefit being "avoid losing paper statements in the clutter", I am more likely to lose email notification in my email clutter. I have never missed a bill in 35 years from a mailing, so they are going to keep mailing the bill to me.

We put every billing service we can on paperless!

We have such unreliable postal service here, and we live near a town with 4 million people in it. We routinely have new postal delivery folks and some appear to be less than quality conscious. We just went for 4 days with no mail (the whole street). Come to find out after going to the post office since they won't answer the phone, our "normal" delivery person was re-assigned and no one really did much about re-establishing service.

In the last year I have had envelopes with Amazon gift cards not show up, have gotten someone else's mail order prescription, had a new cell phone disappear, have had packages show "delivered" on the internet tracking and not show up for several days after, and on and on. Our neighbors are suffering the same lack of service.

So, if they want to steal or mis-deliver my remaining junk mail, have at it!

Anything new I buy from an internet vendor, I specify UPS or FedEx where I can and pay the extra freight.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:58 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have everything possible on paperless billing, including Amazon. The information is still accessible, trees are saved, and I avoid the unnecessary hassle of opening envelopes, filing their contents, and eventually shredding and recycling paper. Of course, millions of people like me are responsible for the streamlining of Canada Post's mail delivery services and the decline of the lumber industry.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Totally paperless here. I hate getting paper in the mail!!!
Old 07-16-2015, 10:21 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

What am I missing? I've never heard of paperless billing on Amazon.

For credit cards, utilities, yes. But not Amazon. Any chance the email could be a phishing scam?
Old 07-16-2015, 10:31 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
We put every billing service we can on paperless!

We have such unreliable postal service here, and we live near a town with 4 million people in it. We routinely have new postal delivery folks and some appear to be less than quality conscious. We just went for 4 days with no mail (the whole street). Come to find out after going to the post office since they won't answer the phone, our "normal" delivery person was re-assigned and no one really did much about re-establishing service.

In the last year I have had envelopes with Amazon gift cards not show up, have gotten someone else's mail order prescription, had a new cell phone disappear, have had packages show "delivered" on the internet tracking and not show up for several days after, and on and on. Our neighbors are suffering the same lack of service.

So, if they want to steal or mis-deliver my remaining junk mail, have at it!

Anything new I buy from an internet vendor, I specify UPS or FedEx where I can and pay the extra freight.

Well I can definitely see why you would want to do that, Aja. I live in a small town of about 5k, and I have a PO Box at the Post Office. I have never lost anything, but having my mail at the PO box instead of my house is one less opportunity they have to lose it.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:58 PM   #9

I also am paperless on all of my bills, with the exception of one - a USAA credit card. They don't offer paperless billing. I hardly ever user that card anyway, so almost never receive a paper bill in the mail.

My cell phone and DSL service are automatically paid by my credit card every month. That just leaves 2 credit cards, and the landline. I used to think that without a paper bill, I might forget to pay, but with so few recurring bills, it is easy to keep track of, especially as I get e-mail notifications directly from the companies, and also from my bank when they are due.

It is all much more convenient than fiddling around with checks, postage stamps and envelopes. I can even pay them on my cellphone if I want. Easy peasy!
Old 07-16-2015, 11:08 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

For credit cards, utilities, yes. But not Amazon. Any chance the email could be a phishing scam?
Right, this is what I read into the OP, not really about 'paperless billing' at all.

Be extremely cautious before clicking any link in an email. I avoid it, but I will when it has info that only the source would know. For example, our Amazon account is in DW's name. If they include her name, I know it isn't a scammer.

-ERD50
Old 07-17-2015, 05:02 AM   #11

We've been paperless for about five years. Any paper coming into the house gets scanned and shredded. We have two file cabinets full of paper records going back 40 years, but nothing in there from the last five years except stuff with raised seals - mortgage satisfaction statements and such. And by all rights those things should probably be a safekeeping rather than filing cabinets.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:03 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

That's what I was wondering too. I don't get bills from Amazon.

I recently got the Amazon Store Card, and have paperless billing, but I was passed to a different site to set that up. That email didn't mention the store card.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:16 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Refusing to click on links you are not expecting in emails is a good practice.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:53 AM   #14

I don't have mail delivery and the PO is a 35 mile round trip. You bet I am totally paperless.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:15 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I still get a few paper bills in the mail. I open them up, take a picture of the bill with my iPhone and then shred it. I pull up the picture later when I'm paying my bills online. I would love to get to the point of being totally paperless.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-17-2015, 07:22 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I don't have mail delivery and the PO is a 35 mile round trip. You bet I am totally paperless.

Your unique situation excluded, after due reflection with a drink of java, I suspect the debate about paperless vs. paper is actually a proxy debate for "willingness to change vs. unwillingness to change". Unfortunately my fellow "pro paper" advocates are unable to support me, because they do not own computers....

Old 07-17-2015, 07:38 AM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I also am paperless on all of my bills, with the exception of one - a USAA credit card. They don't offer paperless billing. I hardly ever user that card anyway, so almost never receive a paper bill in the mail.
Hi Major Tom -- USAA does offer paperless credit card billing, this was my first paperless bill to sign up for -- probably almost 10 years ago.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:43 AM   #18

Pretty much paperless on all utilities, cell phone, landline, insurance that goes to Amex, etc. The one thing I want paper on is the Amex, our preferred method of paying for everything (love that 2% back). It's just a habit that when I get the paper Amex bill I reconcile it to Quicken where I record all purchase every few days. Sure I could print it off if I went paperless, but it's just the way I have become habituated.

I'm not sure I understand OP on paperless Amazon. We just buy everything on A and pay with Amex, not sure what a "bill" from Amazon would look like.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:41 AM   #19

I'm not sure what a bill from Amazon is either. I decided last year to get an Synchrony Amazon card. I especially like the low limit allowed on the card and it is the only card I have registered on the website. (If I need more, which I probably won't, I can always use another card.) Paying the bill is trivial. I get an emailed notice that the bill is posted and I just go over to Synchrony (Amazon) and pay it. The only weirdness is that they won't allow you to put the Prime subscription on the Amazon card.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:24 AM   #20

I pay most of my bills on line and all of them are trying to get me to go paperless. I've resisted so far but am considering going paperless since I'm finding I'm starting to not even open the bills I receive in the mail. I just toss them in a stack and shred them when the pile is big enough. My brokerage firms, banks, phone co, electrical co-op, etc all offer paperless billing with their on line customers and in all case I can look up my accounts and see my current statements and look back at least 12 months as well as print them off if I want to. They all send my an email when the new bill or statement is ready for viewing and that's usually several days before I get the US mail copy.

I think I just talked myself into going paperless. I guess I can always print off a copy of my brokerage and bank accounts once or twice a year if I feel I need that hard copy security blanket.