Join Early Retirement Today

One door closes...another opens
Old 03-01-2017, 04:15 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One door closes...another opens

I retired one year ago today. Today is DW's first day of retirement.

We worked together in the same office for 37 years. She stuck around the place an extra year, partly because she's younger than I, and mostly to help with the transition after we sold the business.

So today we are heading south, and for the first time, with no definite day we have to be back. The last year has been very rough for her, between working way too many hours, and caring for a dying sister. We are going to put about 12 hours in today, on the road, and I expect her to sleep for most of it.

Another long day on the road tomorrow and we will be in Sunny Florida. I am looking forward to seeing her relax and get her energy back.

I am feeling very blessed this morning.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2017, 04:23 AM   #2

Drive safe. Take an extra day to get there if needed. You don't have to hurry anymore. And congratulations.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Drive safe. Take an extra day to get there if needed. You don't have to hurry anymore. And congratulations.
Thanks! I seriously pondered the idea of doing the trip in 3 shorter days, but it becomes a tradeoff between an extra hour or two in the car, vs. an extra hour or two in a motel room.

So, we are going to just take our time. Stop at rest areas, stretch our legs, do all of those other things we do at rest areas. We won't push it.

I'll be one of the old farts in the right lane.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:50 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

6-8 hours driving + one night in a swanky hotel works too. Special dinner, watch the sunset...
Good luck with your journey!
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:04 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats!! I'm really looking forward to the day when we can just leave to go somewhere without any major pre-planning... take all the time we want to get there... and then stay however long we feel like it. Time to move up the FIRE date!!
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:36 AM   #6

Congratulations on being fancy free. The sunshine sounds good. It is grey and rainy here. Enjoy your new freedom as a couple.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:21 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

So happy for both of you!
Old 03-01-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is what DH and I realized on our last little road trip. Made the time on the road much more blissful.
Congratulations to you and your wife. Enjoy your trip!
Old 03-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Have fun!
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #10

Congrats and have a safe fun filled journey!
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #11

Congrats and safe travels.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:43 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This for sure! I see the OP decided that 12 hours on the road may not be the best, and I would certainly agree. We now limit out trips to no more than 8 hours a day...but I would actually prefer 6 hours. After about 6 hours, the stress of the idiot drivers starts to really grate on me.

Nonetheless, congrats. I have thoroughly enjoyed my 2+ years of being FIRE'd and anxiously await the day my DW decides to fully FIRE as well...what a wonderful day that will be!
Old 03-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

We're perpetual travelers. I love making long road trips--starting out about 3:00 1.m.

Nothing like an upcoming vacation to give you something positive to look forward to. And without a set schedule is even better.

We take at least one international trip every year, and often go to our RV in Blue Ridge Mountains. We are planning on making some 4-5 week North American road trips in the future.

Congratulations on a well deserved lifestyle change.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats and have a safe trip! But like others have stated - take your time on your trip. Take an extra day. Or 2.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Enjoy your trip. When you have enough of Florida, turn west and wander until you get to the Pacific Ocean. Then head north until you get to Canada. At that point, you may want to go home. If not, keep going and get to Alaska.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote