Join Early Retirement Today

One Good Cop
Old 11-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One Good Cop

So, while driving back home on the interstate today, I look over to my left and see this car stopped with a flashing police car next to it. At first, I thought someone got a speeding ticket but upon further inspection, I see that the car had a flat tire and this burly looking officer was helping get the flat tire off as two scrawny looking guys where standing by watching.

My first thought was, that's nice to see. My second thought was, "Is the police going out of his way to help out, even with the tire changing?" I seen that before, a police officer actually helping with the changing. Also, at times, I've seen an officer parked, sitting in the squad car while the car's owner is trying to change a flat.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I think the goal is to get the disabled vehicle off the side of the road as soon as possible. If the owner knows how to do it then the officer can just park behind the vehicle to let on coming traffic knows there's a problem. If the occupants of the vehicle don't know how to change a tire then the officer will do what's needed to get the car of the side of the road. Just part of their job.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

These 2 were so inept that he was doing it to get them off the road side? I've seen a cop do it for a woman but 2 guys?
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
These 2 were so inept that he was doing it to get them off the road side? I've seen a cop do it for a woman but 2 guys?
Why would gender make any difference. If someone needs help, you help them.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #5

I think most guys would have a basic understanding of how to change a flat tire. I did and I wasn't someone that was working on cars day and night. I mean we aren't discussing rebuilding a transmission but I know some don't know how.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #6

Quote:
I think most guys would have a basic understanding of how to change a flat tire.
I think it's safe to say that most members here (and most of the people we each know) are well on the high side of the bell curve in terms of IQ. It's easy to forget, but for every one of us there is someone on the other side.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #7

Disclaimer - I'm female.
I have women friends who are very smart - execs, teachers, sales types... all very successful and competent. But would miss some of the basics on tire changing... Things like loosening the lug nuts before you jack up the car. Where the jack is and how to use it. Where the spare or donut tire is.

I know a few men who would also be clueless... but fewer of them.

This is an area where there is definitely a gender gap of experience and knowledge. Women can change tires, but many may not know the basics to make it an easy process.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Cops have changed a flat for me before. Two patrol cars immediately came to assistance after a high-speed blow-out of a 12-passenger van tire on the freeway. Everybody was safe, but it was scary at first.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I think it's safe to say that most members here (and most of the people we each know) are well on the high side of the bell curve in terms of IQ. It's easy to forget, but for every one of us there is someone on the other side.
High overall intelligence isn't going to do much good with changing a tire if you've never done it before. My brother wouldn't have a clue how to change a tire because he's never done it even though he's the smart brother with a IQ probably 30 points higher than mine. I've rotated my own tires with a jack several times so I could do it even with an IQ under 100.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe the cop was putting a boot on the tire instead of changing it.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

One GREAT Constable On Patrol

Police have my greatest respect.

I'm in a storytelling mood...

After my husband passed, I slept terribly. I finally got a stretch of sleep one night...and was awakened by a flashlight shining into my 2nd story bedroom window. Freaked me out.
After the initial surprise....it turns out that a friend from HS, living in NJ, had called my house 2 or 3 times, but I was soundly asleep.
So she called her local police, who relayed a message across state borders from/to the respective State Troopers to my local Sherriff Dept. She was afraid I was unable to answer the phone (burglars or such).
I had an official visitor.
The officer talked with me for about 45 minutes. I assured him I was OK. When he needed to get back on road patrol, he backed out of my driveway and miscalculated the turn. The squad car ended up in the shallow ditch and knocked my mailbox over.
He had to call his supervisor. The super showed up and listened to the whole story from the younger cop. It was a sight to behold.
All of a sudden I just laughed my head off. I told the two Sherriffs that I was in need of a good laugh, and excuse me guys, but you just gave me that.
They fixed the mailbox, stomping the base back in place. The super offered to fill out paperw*rk for a full replacement, etc etc.
I just told them it was all well worth it. The mailbox was fine, just tipped over.
It also turned out that the younger cop mailbox assassin was the nephew of my adopted brother no mutual DNA, a friend of 30 years.

Full circle and all that jazz.

Still awake out there ?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Why would gender make any difference. If someone needs help, you help them.
Yes, but if a guy doesn't know how to change a tire then he has to surrender his man card at the nearest weightlifter's gym, barber shop, or sports bar.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I know how to change a tire, and have done it a few times over the years. But one time, I could not loosen the lug nuts on the flat tire. It was in the winter (probably contributed to the lug nuts getting stuck) and I was near my home (thankfully) so all I lost was a date with a woman I was not so crazy about LOL! A tire repair center was pretty close by, too, so when they were open I slowly drove there.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Heh, many moons ago my eldest daughter had grabbed the phone and was amusing herself by dialing random numbers. Since the phone was not on "send", DW let her do it. 30 minutes later, a cop showed up at the door. Evidently even if you dial "911" in a string of numbers, it registers. He was polite about it once he made sure there was no dirty work afoot.

I was hunting in a state park today and was ready to move to a new spot so I headed back to my truck, parked at the visitor center lot. A couple rangers pulled up in their truck. After checking my license and whatnot, the senior guy sheepishly told me that they were having problems with squirrels in the attic of the visitor center and they would appreciate it if I helped reduce the squirrel popluation in the trees by the building (not normally open to hunting). With squirrels practically doing cartwheels in the branches, I was happy to oblige the good Coorado state park rangers. I also gave them some tips on how to deal with the infestation since I had the same problem in the house in the past.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

That's at least good reason for clippin' a corner off the Rangers' man card as a warning for possible full removal of said man card.

But, I suppose the Rangers can't be seen harming the nuisance fuzzy wildlife. We'll let it slide, this time.

-CC
Old 11-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #16

I changed tires for women sometimes (retired police officer here) when they were either in a location conducive to causing accidents or clearly not in position to shell out the cash for a tow truck.

Men never asked me to change it but I would stay there and block that lane so they wouldn't be hit from behind.

On the interstates in the DC area though we never changed tires because it was simply too dangerous. Call a tow truck and get that thing out of there.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE View Post
That's at least good reason for clippin' a corner off the Rangers' man card as a warning for possible full removal of said man card.

But, I suppose the Rangers can't be seen harming the nuisance fuzzy wildlife. We'll let it slide, this time.

-CC
The funny thing was that from casual chatting wth them I know they are both hunters.

From what I saw, they did not need help from a few random squirrel hunters. They needed a free afternoon, an accurate rifle, and a 500 round box of .22 shells. One of the reasons I drive out there is that the squirrel hunting is so reliably good. That attic is going to stay infested if I were to guess.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I think the goal is to get the disabled vehicle off the side of the road as soon as possible. If the owner knows how to do it then the officer can just park behind the vehicle to let on coming traffic knows there's a problem. If the occupants of the vehicle don't know how to change a tire then the officer will do what's needed to get the car of the side of the road. Just part of their job.
As a long time police officer I can tell you that helping people is the best part of my job. However, changing peoples tires is NOT "just part of the the job". I've done it at work, and Ive done it off duty, but again its not in the job description so don't be offended if a cop doesn't change a tire for you.

More importantly, changing a tire on the interstate is one of the dumbest things a person can do. More cops get killed getting hit by cars while stopped on the side of the road than they do any other way. If you get a flat on the highway, please drive to the nearest exit and get away from traffic. I can promise you that I wont change your tire if you are still on the highway. I have a family and assume that most others do as well.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #19

Quote:
I think most guys would have a basic understanding of how to change a flat tire. I did and I wasn't someone that was working on cars day and night. I mean we aren't discussing rebuilding a transmission but I know some don't know how.
My wife just had a flat. She called me so I drove to where she was. By the time I got there she had the spare out and all the lug nuts removed from the wheel! I had to re educate her about not taking the lug nuts off till the car was jacked up, just loosen them.

She is a somewhat frail 56 year old with one bad arm due to a bad wrist break. So yeah the guys need to turn in their man card if they can't do it.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of flat tires, has anyone used those "Fix a Flat" sealants in a can?
I've read good and bad reviews of them.

Years back my sister had a flat tire and we ended up going to a store, bought a can of them, put that in her car's tire to do a temporary seal, enough to get her home at least.