One Mile Kill Shot~ 2004

Thanks for posting that. I'm a Veteran and I'm proud of our boys! We're still free and looking forward to retiring because of them.

Seems appropriate for the targets.

"To himself everyone is immortal; he may know that he is going to die, but he can never know that he is dead."
Samuel Butler

That .50 cal is one bad ass gun...........

To any of you that saw the movie The Hurt Locker you may recall the confrontation that the EOD team had in the desert, along with the Brit contractors, and the bad guts a mile or so away in that cinder block structure. Similar Barrett .50 cal rifle was used. Perhaps they could have shot thru the wall and eliminated more bad guys. Ahh, it's only a movie.

I think you gotta be 11B to get a CIB. They have the CAB now, combat action badge, for non infantry. Tho, they could have changed things.

he could be an officer, which would be 11A, or special forces. Or he could have just used that image but not be in the military at all.

Would that blood spattering onto the wall be considered the money shot?

Yep - saw the History channel? cable thing on snipers - including this guy.

Is the distance record for snipers still held by a Canadian? Also a 50 cal I believe.

heh heh heh - :D Snipers are for rookies. My double dipper buddies(retired military/civilian contractors) say the RPV is going to alter the balance - where you sit one place and attack targets half a world away. Unfortunately given the lower cost(relative to a modern Air Force jet) and software available the reverse also becomes possible in X years depending on whose projections you use.

I am really not looking forward to that form of 'The World is Flat.' :nonono:

Is the distance record for snipers still held by a Canadian?

The only real sniper record is the record that is made in combat.

I believe that Canadian troops are posted in Afghanistan, but not sure if they are front line troops or support folks. No matter, their value is large if they are party to the NATO effort.

This was combat - in Afganistan - and at high altitude. This was the same program where they ran out of Canadian issue 50 cal and switched to American - apparently shoots farther thus have to change sight settings.

They will probably have a repeat showing - cable always does.

heh heh heh - :cool: A related program on the training these guys have to go thru is fascinating. Also the Marine Corp prep of the rifles and loading the bullets was good - we are not talking factory here.

I remember reading about a previous record for the longest combat sniper kill.

Here's the quote off of wikipedia

Long-distance sniper record

The record for the longest combat kill by a sniper was broken during Operation Anaconda by Canadian sniper Cpl Rob Furlong, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI). Using a McMillan long-range TAC-50 .50-calibre rifle, he killed a Taliban fighter armed with an RPK machine gun at a confirmed distance of 2,430 metres (1.51 miles)[6].The previous record was set 35 years before by Carlos Hathcock.
The five-man Canadian sniper team, including MCpl Graham Ragsdale (Team Commander), MCpl Tim McMeekin, MCpl Arron Perry, Cpl Dennis Eason, and Cpl Rob Furlong, killed over 20, and were awarded Bronze Stars.

You can find it at this link, at the bottom of the page.

Operation Anaconda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom