Join Early Retirement Today
Re: One of the sleaziest
Old 10-20-2006, 09:30 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Originally Posted by 3 Yrs to Go
Hmmm, hostile to evangelical Christians but other posts have you decrying religious discrimination . . . what gives?

Oh, please. I made fun of a political group that masquerades as a religious organization. I did not espouse any sort of discrimination against any particular religon. These are the walking anuses that espouse GWB's idiotic Middle Eastern wars as some sort of Holy Crusade, fer Gawd's sake.

Incidentally, the whole idea of fundy evangelical Xtians getting all happy over a modern day Crusade is amusing if you think about it. After all, where did the original Crusades come from? Papal edicts and suport, in most cases. Considering that these fools fancy themselves the intellectual (Ha!) descendents of Martin Luther and others who split from the Church, wanting to recreate a medieval Church creation is pretty funny. But I suppose you can get anything out of the Book of Revelation if you do enough acid pray on it long enough.

"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2006, 09:49 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Huh? they were handing out free beer and smokes and I missed it

The voting rules are interesting here (in Italy): the voting goes on for two days, Saturday (8am-10pm) and Sunday (7am-3pm). Voters have to present a voter registration card and another valid ID, and vote at the locality they are registered in. One can only vote for a party (put an X on the symbol) and you cannot write in names or put any other marks on the (paper) ballot or it will be discarded.

It was only in the last election that residents abroad were allowed to vote with absentee ballots. This was seen as benefiting the "right-wing" (Berlusconi) gov't. at the time, under the theory that expatriates were less likely to be left or center-left voters. As it was, the Prodi crew got in by a tiny margin in what could be seen as an Italian version of Florida/USA 2000, with accusations of vote-tampering, etc.

An interesting rule (not sure how helpful it is but it could sure save $$) is the par condicio, which prohibits political TV ads on both public and private channels for the two weeks running up to the elections, and also bars the release of any polling data during this time.

Voting here is also, in theory, compulsory.. though I believe there is little/no enforcement of this and that the worst that could happen is that some official makes some kind of notation of it somewhere. The actual turnouts are usually in the 70s - mid 80s in percentage points, and they are shocked (as am I) at the US turnouts in the 30s and 40s...

ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:34 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

looks like this is getting more play....I guess the guy claims that the letter wasnt translated correctly, but not a real smart move to get caught in this...cant blame anybody but himself....not really his job to enforce the law....

- Hurry! to the cliffs of insanity!
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote